Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, the game was very refreshing to watch -- in particular after the news coming out of the football program yesterday.

I'd guess what we saw from KJ last night will be his role all year ... i.e. whatever spot they are short. He played 18 minutes (likely a career high). I'd have to think Ousmane Diop would have got the bulk of those minutes had he been available (if he could last that long without fouling out). Obviously playing KJ (a 6'4" utility player) in the low post against a gigantic ACC lineup ... wasn't going to end well.

Brooks playing just 5 minutes was disappointing. He had one of the nicest low-post moves of the night on his lone basket. It must be the "break him in slow" approach.

Porterfield started the game 0-9 from the field and then finished the game hitting his next 7 of 8.

Morris had a huge stat line: 21 points, 5 boards, 10 assists, 2 steals and just 1 TO. Not a huge fan of him playing 39 minutes in the first exhibition game. But, that's the trickle down effect of having some not available.

I was a bit surprised Jaylen Stewart wasn't even dressed. Unless he's injured, it sure seems like he'll be taking a redshirt. He's a big guard who logged a lot of PSAC minutes last year at Seton Hill. I knew he wouldn't start this year but figured he'd play (some). But, Joe has a very decorated history of making transfers redshirt a year and learn the IUP way of doing things. I assumed he'd be perfect in taking some of the load off of Shawndale.

I thought Kyle Polce looked great last night. He took a massive (inadvertent) shot from one of Syracuse's 7-footers. He plays really strong defense and was flustering some '4 star' guards last night. He also looked more confident on the offensive end. He should figure to be an elite "6th Man" this year (despite having to start last night).

Bethea logged 23 minutes in his debut. He looked like he belonged albeit likely being a bit timid and nervous in the early going. Joe hasn't had a "5th guard" in the rotation in forever. He will keep getting better and more comfortable with each game. I suspect he'll log about 10-12 minutes in the first half of the season.

IUP was nasty on the boards. Very aggressive. Syracuse won the glass, 39-38, despite having a massive size advantage.

I didn't care at all about Shawndale's stat line last night. It was just great to see him moving so well. He didn't look timid at all -- which is very rare coming off an ACL. His timing, etc., will return quickly. His shooting improved as the game went along.

That was only their 9th 'practice' of the year. D2 couldn't open camp until Oct. 15.

I'd guess the rotation come Nov. 12 will be:

Shawndale
    Morris
    Dillard
    Tomiwa
    Ethan

Polce
    Bethea

Diop/Brooks

KJ plays the super utility role when needed.
    Pretty impressive performance by IUP, especially considering they were missing some good players. Then again, they're expected to be a top D2 team this year. Size is one of the biggest differences between D2 schools and the big boys. Let's face it, most athletes over 6-7 or so with exceptional ability are going to be heavily targeted by the D1 schools. Once in a while you get a late-bloomer like we had in Sleva at Ship. IUP has certainly had some D1 caliber players, as Foster's recent transfer proves. But a D1 school will wear you down if you have a thin bench. I was guilty of underestimating Luke Nedrow's value to Ship last year. He's not a flashy player but he's a big body who can score on occasion and bang under the boards with opponents' bigs. Our other forwards tended to be more of the thin, greyhound type and got into more foul trouble without Nedrow available to do his thing.

Should be a fun year for IUP fans, and I'm hoping Ship will be good again, especially with our football team at 3-5.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

This team is more athletic than Cuse. Miami could put up a number on IUP especially if they lack Dallis and Diop again.
      This is a big step up. No doubt. Get a good workout in ... keep it around 30. Stay healthy. Mission accomplished. This will be the best team they'll see all year by a mile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Pretty impressive performance by IUP, especially considering they were missing some good players. Then again, they're expected to be a top D2 team this year. Size is one of the biggest differences between D2 schools and the big boys. Let's face it, most athletes over 6-7 or so with exceptional ability are going to be heavily targeted by the D1 schools. Once in a while you get a late-bloomer like we had in Sleva at Ship. IUP has certainly had some D1 caliber players, as Foster's recent transfer proves. But a D1 school will wear you down if you have a thin bench. I was guilty of underestimating Luke Nedrow's value to Ship last year. He's not a flashy player but he's a big body who can score on occasion and bang under the boards with opponents' bigs. Our other forwards tended to be more of the thin, greyhound type and got into more foul trouble without Nedrow available to do his thing.

Should be a fun year for IUP fans, and I'm hoping Ship will be good again, especially with our football team at 3-5.

IUP has great D2 size but is small up against a P5 program -- even more so with Diop not there. Syracuse just kept rotating in a steady flow of 6'9", 6'10", 6'11, 7' ... it just wore them out underneath. Like you said, guys that size in D2 typically have weaknesses or are a bit slow. Those guys up there are athletic, strong and fast.

I think Dillard will be IUP's shutdown defender this year so he was obviously a big loss not being there.

I'm a big fan of them playing these games. They get exposed to size and speed they won't see the rest of the year.

Sunday may be a little ugly. Miami is stacked this year. Isaiah Wong declared for the draft last year but pulled out late after getting a Round 2 grade. He'll be drafted this year. They are just as big as Syracuse underneath. They also play a trio of 6'7" guards.

It will be a good learning experience.

Comment

• Last year Nova se lost to Miami 106-95. Nova was within 4 with 4:30 left in game. Wong had 40.
          So IUP could keep it close.

Comment

• Looks like this early game with Winston-Salem State is going to be a tussle.

WSSU was picked third in the CIAA Preseason Poll.

They also have three players picked to the first team (two guards and one forward).

This will be a solid SOS and resume game.

Comment

Looks like this early game with Winston-Salem State is going to be a tussle.

They also have three players picked to the first team (two guards and one forward).

We said that with Virginia State last year and yikes did they tumble from the top.

Comment

• Former IUP player Bryce Radford scored 29 points (and hit 7 treys) in his West Virginia Tech debut.

However, they lost in OT to Alderson Broaddus, 103-100.

Glad to see him have a big night. Hated to see him leave but understood the decision. He'll play 30-35 mpg at WVT as opposed to the 6-8 he'd have played here this year.

Comment

Looks like this early game with Winston-Salem State is going to be a tussle.

CIAA teams usually are talented and a good early season test. Ship has opened with schools such as Virginia Union and Virginia State for several years now.

Comment

• Looks like IUP will again be without Dallis Dillard and Ousmane Diop today.

Pretty good idea on Dillard. Diop ... no idea.

Comment

• Miami 18
                      IUP 13

Miami started on 13-0 run.

Sulaiman two quick fouls and hasn't played much. KJ first off bench.

Dillard and Diop not in building.

Comment

• 28-20 Canes

Miami dramatically more athletic and faster than Syracuse.

They also seemed to have scouted IUP a bit. They are guarding Ethan outside very tight (unlike Syracuse).

KJ has played almost the whole first half. He's trying but only so much a 6'4" is going to do at forward against ACC players.

Comment

28-20 Canes

Miami dramatically more athletic and faster than Syracuse.

They also seemed to have scouted IUP a bit. They are guarding Ethan outside very tight (unlike Syracuse).

KJ has played almost the whole first half. He's trying but only so much a 6'4" is going to do at forward against ACC players.
                          There are a lot of talented D2 players, but as you say going against D1 teams it's 6-4 D2 guys against 6-8 and 6-9 D1 guys, and bigger skilled players usually beat smaller ones. In football, the big powers get the wideouts who run 4.4 in the 40, while the others settle for the 4.9 guys. Makes a difference.

Comment

• Joe got hammered, 89-55.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There are a lot of talented D2 players, but as you say going against D1 teams it's 6-4 D2 guys against 6-8 and 6-9 D1 guys, and bigger skilled players usually beat smaller ones. In football, the big powers get the wideouts who run 4.4 in the 40, while the others settle for the 4.9 guys. Makes a difference.
                              It's disappointing on this end to have two rotation guys miss both exhibition games.

Not that they'd have won either but it's the live action they are missing and the time playing together against superior competition.

Most years IUP has played two big opponents ... this is usually the result of the second game. They catch the first team off guard but the second team takes the game more seriously.

Comment

• Armoni started today for Buffalo and finished with 7 points and 4 rebounds.

UB hammered Daemen by 30-some.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X