Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

They could be real scary if they could actually shoot.
    We didn't shoot well against you but it's still early. The guys are starting to gel and Coach Hill has been tinkering with his starting 5 and rotations the last few games. We have taken our last two opponents to the woodshed.

Comment

• Originally posted by krober34 View Post

We didn't shoot well against you but it's still early. The guys are starting to gel and Coach Hill has been tinkering with his starting 5 and rotations the last few games. We have taken our last two opponents to the woodshed.
      I've seen far too many D2 basketball games than I like to admit in public. I have no doubt that WSSU is going to be a strong team as the season progresses.

IUP's trademark is on the defensive end and causes just about everybody to have bad shooting nights. In an offensive era, they still really turn up the heat on defense.

WSSU has a great combination of size and speed ... very athletic. I wouldn't be surprised if they play again in March.

In that game in particular, IUP jumped them in the first half. I think IUP was up either 15 or 17 at halftime. WSSU was a much different team in the second half.

I think you guys will do really well up at the Gannon tournament. And, Good Lord, your team is putting some miles on the bus this year.

Comment

• IUP certainly got pushed to the limit today. Survives New Haven 65-60

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
          IUP certainly got pushed to the limit today. Survives New Haven 65-60
          NH was a professional street ball team. I say that as a compliment. They were big, strong and lightning fast.

I thought IUP was going to let that slip away. Very nice win.

Winning on a day Ethan gets shutout is impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

NH was a professional street ball team. I say that as a compliment. They were big, strong and lightning fast.

Looked like an iron man game on both sides of the ball. I see New Haven only had 19 minutes total of substitute time.

Comment

Ethan was clearly dealing with an illness. Not sure what it was but he was struggling with it.

IUP showed why they’re such a dangerous team. They didn’t play very well for most of the game, but when it was on the line they buckled down and got the W. This group has been in so many big games they’re prepared to deal with a tight game late. They knew they would find a way to win while New Haven was hoping they could pull the upset. Interesting to note that while New Haven was able to tie it eventually, they were never able to take the lead in the second half.

Good win. Cakewalk in the next one.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Ethan was clearly dealing with an illness. Not sure what it was but he was struggling with it.

IUP showed why they’re such a dangerous team. They didn’t play very well for most of the game, but when it was on the line they buckled down and got the W. This group has been in so many big games they’re prepared to deal with a tight game late. They knew they would find a way to win while New Haven was hoping they could pull the upset. Interesting to note that while New Haven was able to tie it eventually, they were never able to take the lead in the second half.

Good win. Cakewalk in the next one.
                Their next three 'should' be fairly easy games.

Mansfield isn't terrible. But, they should hammer Bloom and obvious PSU-Altoona.

Comment

• I wouldn’t call NH a street ball team. They switched to that zone in the second half with keeping the African kid defending the rim to prevent easy lay ups. It worked.

I kept yelling the whole second half to dump the ball to the high post and shoot. They didn’t till late. NH wanted them shooting from that elbow.

IUP gutted out a win with Ethan being nonexistent, David being a TO machine and Shawndale missing many bunnies in the first half.

Free throws won the game!

Comment

• Mansfield, roster-wise, is the polar opposite of New Haven.

They are very young (just two Juniors and no seniors or grads). They have a couple bigs but nothing like yesterday. New Haven had a lot of D1 imports who had played a whole lot of college basketball. They had some strong dudes.

IUP has three more games to go and then Diop returns. I'm interested to see how he works in to things. I'd think he will be a big boost until Ethan is back to full health.

I'd guess Ethan was at about 40-50% yesterday. He's a warrior. A lot of guys wouldn't even be playing.

Comment

Mansfield, roster-wise, is the polar opposite of New Haven.

They are very young (just two Juniors and no seniors or grads). They have a couple bigs but nothing like yesterday. New Haven had a lot of D1 imports who had played a whole lot of college basketball. They had some strong dudes.

IUP has three more games to go and then Diop returns. I'm interested to see how he works in to things. I'd think he will be a big boost until Ethan is back to full health.

I'd guess Ethan was at about 40-50% yesterday. He's a warrior. A lot of guys wouldn't even be playing.
                      In the world of the transfer portal, it's going to take a very good coach to build anything at Mansfield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

In the world of the transfer portal, it's going to take a very good coach to build anything at Mansfield.
                        Their triad brother at LH could actually be a sleeper this year.

Comment

Their triad brother at LH could actually be a sleeper this year.
                          They weren't all that bad last season. Two former Ship guys coaching up there and they've often been a thorn in the side of the Raiders.

Comment

It was a good win. Thought they might blow the doors open early in the 2nd. Really stagnant against the zone. Would help to have a little more shooting from the guard position, David and Shawndale are streaky. Tomiwa to me is clearly the best player in the league. But I guess you can make that argument for multiple guys on IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

It was a good win. Thought they might blow the doors open early in the 2nd. Really stagnant against the zone. Would help to have a little more shooting from the guard position, David and Shawndale are streaky. Tomiwa to me is clearly the best player in the league. But I guess you can make that argument for multiple guys on IUP.

They needed to get pushed ... and, they certainly got pushed.

Joe lined up an aggressive schedule for those first five games. They haven't played a cupcake yet.

Majur Majak, New Haven's 7'1" center and the reigning NE-10 Defensive Player of the Year, was in their heads pretty good in the first half. Seeing it live, they were extremely hesitant driving the hole and you could tell they were really altering the trajectory of their shots. They missed a lot of shots they typically make close to the basket.

But, they found a way and got the 40-minute push they needed. In theory, they should catch their breath these next three games. Let's just hope Joe doesn't continue the IUP tradition (of late) in playing his starters 38 minutes against PSU-Altoona. This team should really hit its stride in January. They've dealt with a ton of adversity so far -- injuries, surgeries, eligibility, etc.

They should certainly go in to the WCU/Kutztown homestand at 8-0, and keep inching toward being at full strength.

I 'think' Diop will be eligible to make his return for that Sunday-Monday doubleheader right before Christmas. He will be a big boost off the bench with Ethan battling some health issues.

Comment

• Joe got through the first 5-game stretch pretty well. Three of the teams will likely be in the NCAA mix -- Winston-Salem, Walsh (if they get healthy) and New Haven.

So, that points to the next 5 games (with their current record). This will lead us right up to Santa Clause.

@ Mansfield (1-2) - Oddly, the last three meetings have been fairly close games. Strange gym to play in. Dead silent, too.

@ Bloomsburg (0-3) - Huskies are in a total rebuild with a new coach.

Penn State-Altoona - Get it over with -- safely. Joe let Armoni play 38 minutes against Pitt-Greensburg last year. Let's not do that again.

Kutztown (0-5) - Record is the record but they are a couple buckets away from it looking much different.

West Chester (4-1) - Anytime Lombardi and Blair get together it's quite entertaining

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X