Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    FYI the men's game tips off at 3 p.m. tomorrow.

The PSAC site is showing it -- incorrectly -- as starting at 7:30 p.m.
    Anyone going....... I am actually going to make the trip up there...........

Comment

• The KCAC's favorite guest arrives today.

Danny gets picked on almost as bad as Kevin Reynolds used to up here. Villains are good for business.

Deservedly so, of course.

Sancomb is amusing to watch. Off the court, he is about as humble and quiet as they come. Well- and soft-spoken. Total opposite on the court.

​​​​​I still don't rule out him going after the IUP job in a couple years. He's younger than he looks.

Crowd shenanigans aside, this is going to be a good one today.

Comment

• I get Twitter saturation and posts.

But, does every game IUP plays need to be called a rivalry (by both sides)?

How many freaking rivalries can one team have?

Comment

• Edit

Comment

• Cal comes out hot… shocking

Comment

• Wild first half… both coaches putting on a show.

Comment

• What an incredible sequence up and down the court from Tomiwa. Wow.

Comment

• I hate to start with this but that may have been the worst officiating job I’ve ever seen at a college basketball game. I believe there were 5 technicals and about one of them was deserved, but only happened because the first one was called. Then the foul calls! There were 57 free throws taken in this game and it was easily the longest game I ever sat through because of it. Referee Roddy Hartle was a disaster. He’s the principle at Redbank Valley H.S. and hardly seems like the kind of guy you want in any position of authority. John Lienert, the bald white dude, wasn’t much better. Tolson was relatively quiet. All in all it was a clown show for the guys in stripes. That was as angry as I’ve ever seen Joe.

As for the game, I figured the barrage of threes would eventually stop falling by Cal and that played out. They were 7-14 in the first half but only 3-11 in the second. IUP was physically superior and it showed with the rebound margin of 11 and Cal’s inability to stop Shawndale any time he drove to the basket. Shawndale was fouled 10 times! Physically it was men versus boys. Cal is very athletic and quick, but in the end they just don’t have enough in the front court to beat the top teams. They’re also lacking depth. IUP played 10 players to Cal’s 7, and the drop off is pretty steep from player 5 to player 6 for the Vulcans.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                    I hate to start with this but that may have been the worst officiating job I’ve ever seen at a college basketball game. I believe there were 5 technicals and about one of them was deserved, but only happened because the first one was called. Then the foul calls! There were 57 free throws taken in this game and it was easily the longest game I ever sat through because of it. Referee Roddy Hartle was a disaster. He’s the principle at Redbank Valley H.S. and hardly seems like the kind of guy you want in any position of authority. John Lienert, the bald white dude, wasn’t much better. Tolson was relatively quiet. All in all it was a clown show for the guys in stripes. That was as angry as I’ve ever seen Joe.

As for the game, I figured the barrage of threes would eventually stop falling by Cal and that played out. They were 7-14 in the first half but only 3-11 in the second. IUP was physically superior and it showed with the rebound margin of 11 and Cal’s inability to stop Shawndale any time he drove to the basket. Shawndale was fouled 10 times! Physically it was men versus boys. Cal is very athletic and quick, but in the end they just don’t have enough in the front court to beat the top teams. They’re also lacking depth. IUP played 10 players to Cal’s 7, and the drop off is pretty steep from player 5 to player 6 for the Vulcans.
                    Cal’s lack of depth is due to two starters being injured and not playing a game this year.

i don’t know if I agree with you about the officials. It was a very chippy and physical game. There were a ton of fouls! Do I think a couple of the technicals were needed, idk, maybe? It’s hard to know what was really said. Joe’s was deserved! Sancomb’s deserved! Sancomb was warned to stay in his coaching box and he was way out *****ing up a storm!

IUP got through with a win, while other top teams fell. That’s what matters most!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Cal’s lack of depth is due to two starters being injured and not playing a game this year.

i don’t know if I agree with you about the officials. It was a very chippy and physical game. There were a ton of fouls! Do I think a couple of the technicals were needed, idk, maybe? It’s hard to know what was really said. Joe’s was deserved! Sancomb’s deserved! Sancomb was warned to stay in his coaching box and he was way out *****ing up a storm!

IUP got through with a win, while other top teams fell. That’s what matters most!
                      I thought Sancomb was relatively tame for him. Maybe he’s making a concerted effort to calm down. I was sitting just a few rows behind him when he got teed up and couldn’t figure out why. He didn’t like IUP’s screens and complained about that all afternoon so maybe it was the combination of him being out of the box and not letting it go. It may also have been an attempt to even things up after Joe’s T. I wouldn’t have called a T on him. Joe’s was deserved, but only came because the one on Stewart was not deserved in my opinion. They should have called one on the tall Cal kid earlier and didn’t, so when Stewart was called it clearly got under Joe’s skin.

I just felt that the way the game was called totally killed any flow and turned it into a free throw shooting contest that took forever. I didn’t see what the game length was but it had to be one of the longest ever at the KCAC.

Comment

• That was my first time at the KCAC..... very impressive arena, I sat right behind the IUP bench 2 rows up from the floor excellent seats and view. I do not know enough about the team to comment on the game except for one item....... they need to work and improve on there foul shooting...... 66% isn't going to cut it later on. Mr. Ethan Porterfield is a beast.... hope he's friendly :) I look forward to going back..... go hawks.......

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Indians View Post
                          That was my first time at the KCAC..... very impressive arena, I sat right behind the IUP bench 2 rows up from the floor excellent seats and view. I do not know enough about the team to comment on the game except for one item....... they need to work and improve on there foul shooting...... 66% isn't going to cut it later on. Mr. Ethan Porterfield is a beast.... hope he's friendly :) I look forward to going back..... go hawks.......
                          Their poor FT shooting yesterday was the only thing that kept Cal in that game. They've been good at the line all year. That was kind of a fluke / bad day.

Comment

The taunting tech on Stewart is what it is. Shawndale did the same thing last week in Johnstown. It seems if you make the trey symbol on the court it's fine. If you aim it at the bench, you get the tech. Hate to see it. Reminds me of IUP football.

What Joe freaked about was Cal wasn't called for doing the same thing at the other end and that the Cal bench was instigating Stewart.

It was a chippy game and had a playoff vibe. Cal's great for a half but they just start to (understandably) tire out. IUP was up at the half but didn't play a great first half.

That's a different matchup, too, as Cal is essentially playing 5 guards all game. Palek and Hall are technically forwards but they play like guards.

As stated above, physically, it's just a mismatch. Hall is the only player Cal has that could physically handle Shawndale but then that leaves real small dudes to deal with Tomiwa and Ethan.
                            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-22-2023, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I couldn't catch as much watching the feed, but it looked like Joe bought that technical on Sancomb. He was really working them after that one they called on him. Was the Sancomb tech because he was out of the coaching box? I can see that being the case (he was almost at half court), but the student broadcasters never commented on any context to the Sancomb tech.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I couldn't catch as much watching the feed, but it looked like Joe bought that technical on Sancomb. He was really working them after that one they called on him. Was the Sancomb tech because he was out of the coaching box? I can see that being the case (he was almost at half court), but the student broadcasters never commented on any context to the Sancomb tech.
                                Out of the coaching box and *****ing about the IUP screens. I’m pretty sure he was warned before they finally had enough.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X