Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

It proves he could play against D1 talent. He has aspirations of playing pro ball somewhere.
    In the MAC? He needed to aim higher.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 01-26-2023, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Jay Wright giving a shout out to Joe.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

In the MAC? He needed to aim higher.
        While not Power 5, the MAC is a very good Division I conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

While not Power 5, the MAC is a very good Division I conference.
          Then aim for one that’s good.

Comment

Then aim for one that’s good.
            ???? I just literally said the MAC is a good Division I conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think this is IUP's last big push.

Read in to that what you wish.
              It would make sense. Joe turns 64 in November. If guys jumping for D1 opportunities does become more of an issue, how much longer would he want to grind every year to replace multiple top guys? A national championship this year would sure be a nice way to ride off into the sunset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

???? I just literally said the MAC is a good Division I conference.
                I meant a good team in that middle of the Pack conference. Do you think pro scouts are banging down the door to watch 10-10 Buffalo team?

Comment

I meant a good team in that middle of the Pack conference. Do you think pro scouts are banging down the door to watch 10-10 Buffalo team?
                  Keep in mind we aren't talking about the NBA here.

The key to playing overseas is getting in to one of the higher-end leagues. A lot of players sign to go over there and are really playing for pennies in some outpost in Siberia. If you can get in to the higher levels (Dustin Sleva, Cobo Diaz, etc.) ... you can make some serious money. Not NBA money, of course, but a lot of coin.

I wish Armoni was still here but I think we all understood his decision.

If their starting five this year was Ethan, Tomiwa, Shawndale, David and Armoni ... Joe would've need a shrink on staff to deal with ball sharing.

Comment

Pro scouts are banging down the door to watch anyone they think has NBA Talent. CJ McCollum was a lottery pick out of Lehigh.

Comment

Keep in mind we aren't talking about the NBA here.

If their starting five this year was Ethan, Tomiwa, Shawndale, David and Armoni ... Joe would've need a shrink on staff to deal with ball sharing.
                      Regarding the NBA, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Love Armoni, but he’s not on any NBA team’s short list of prospects. I hope he finds something overseas that works for him to continue his career.

As far as Armoni no longer being at IUP, I’m glad you said it about what his presence might mean to this particular team. I’m not going to go as far as to say IUP wouldn’t be better with him, but, I don’t think they’d be much better. I think what he’d provide more than anything else is maturity and leadership, although this team has plenty of that as it is. I think his moving on was the right thing for him, and with Shawndale coming back healthy and the growth of the other guards, it hasn’t had a measurable impact on IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

It would make sense. Joe turns 64 in November. If guys jumping for D1 opportunities does become more of an issue, how much longer would he want to grind every year to replace multiple top guys? A national championship this year would sure be a nice way to ride off into the sunset.
                        I agree. I truly thought just by the way he talked much of last year, he was going to retire at the conclusion of the season. And had they won two more games, I bet he would have. Guys like Joe built their programs around culture and an environment of team and family. Not that those intangible things mean everything, or anything for that matter, it's hard to dispute the results he's achieved. Joe's great friends with Jay Wright. And he unexpectedly hung up the Armoni suit in the midst of all this NIL and one-time free transfer stuff. Wright and Lombardi and much of the same type of people. Jay Wright had a great program; one of the best in the country. He recruited great players, but he brought in program guys. Players who became exceptional over time, but guys who were there that were willing to be coached and developed for 3-4 years. The number of those guys are dwindling, and rapidly. I don't think Jay Wright had any interest in recruiting his roster over and over again each season.

Joe's player and roster retention has been incredible during his tenure. And not just traditional roster retention. He's kept ELITE players. IUP isn't a place where guys tend to leave or transfer out of, at least not on their own accord. I'm not sure that stuff matters anymore. And I doubt he wants to be part of the game given what it now is.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree. I truly thought just by the way he talked much of last year, he was going to retire at the conclusion of the season. And had they won two more games, I bet he would have. Guys like Joe built their programs around culture and an environment of team and family. Not that those intangible things mean everything, or anything for that matter, it's hard to dispute the results he's achieved. Joe's great friends with Jay Wright. And he unexpectedly hung up the Armoni suit in the midst of all this NIL and one-time free transfer stuff. Wright and Lombardi and much of the same type of people. Jay Wright had a great program; one of the best in the country. He recruited great players, but he brought in program guys. Players who became exceptional over time, but guys who were there that were willing to be coached and developed for 3-4 years. The number of those guys are dwindling, and rapidly. I don't think Jay Wright had any interest in recruiting his roster over and over again each season.

Joe's player and roster retention has been incredible during his tenure. And not just traditional roster retention. He's kept ELITE players. IUP isn't a place where guys tend to leave or transfer out of, at least not on their own accord. I'm not sure that stuff matters anymore. And I doubt he wants to be part of the game given what it now is.
                          Other side of coin is Joe's a celebrity in a small town and being paid about $200,000 a year to coach basketball. He doesn't leave Indiana to recruit. He has a sweet job.

Hard to say what he'll do.

Comment

• Making the trip today. Excited for a great game. Not taking anything for granted.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                              Making the trip today. Excited for a great game. Not taking anything for granted.
                              Just don't organize Silent Night. Lol

Comment

Just don't organize Silent Night. Lol
                                That attendance record still has not been broken LOL

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X