Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    Making the trip today. Excited for a great game. Not taking anything for granted.
    Safe travels. This will be a fun one. I expect a nice crowd and the energy is just different when school is in. Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comment

• If they could hit a trey they'd be up 20+ at half.

11 is a good lead but it should be way more. Scary to let them hang around.

Joe has to get a new play to end the half. He runs it every game. ESU knew it was coming

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        If they could hit a trey they'd be up 20+ at half.

11 is a good lead but it should be way more. Scary to let them hang around.

Joe has to get a new play to end the half. He runs it every game. ESU knew it was coming
        I said for the last few weeks they better start shooting the 3 better.

Pace has been IUP's so far which is good but put the dang ball in the hoop.

McAliley/Porterfield is a mismatch. They have to do better on that guy.

7 steals and didn't do much with them.

Comment

• Holy Defense

Comment

• Lot of respect for ESU. They play hard 40 minutes

Comment

• 1) ESU is tough as nails

2) IUP’s defense was the difference.

3) IUP has to start shooting the 3 better. They got great looks today but not much to show for it.

4) Officials were laughable.

5) ESU won’t go away and it was also a good test for the future.

Comment

Lot of respect for ESU. They play hard 40 minutes
                They do, but boy they've really dropped off lately. Probably didn't help that they'd played on Thursday. That's a club that's going to explode one of these days, and I'm so afraid it will be Feb. 4 when Ship visits them. Nice day for the Raiders with Lock Haven and East Stroud both going down — a relatively trouble-free outing at Lock Haven for a change. Looks like Jayy Davis, who killed East Stroud in the first half Thursday, left it all there. He only had five today against Ship.

Comment

ESU may be the most athletic team IUP has seen, but they really struggle with half court offense. Obviously IUP gets some credit for that being one of the best defensive teams in the country, but ESU had no continuity. Other than the few threes they hit, they didn’t do much when they had to create. I also think IUP was in their head a bit and it caused them to rush unnecessarily. That led to missing a bunch of bunnies, especially in the first half.

As for IUP, they’re going to be damned hard to beat, period. When ESU had their little run to cut the lead to six, IUP basically said no more of that and the next time I looked at the scoreboard they were back up by 13. I thought IUP had too many turnovers but when the dust settled ESU had two more, which is unusual for them. I told my wife that to have any chance at all ESU had to score 60. I looked at the clock at about the 8:30 mark and they had 42. The next time I looked at it at around 4:30, they still had 42. Pretty good day at the office when you hold a team that scores routinely in the 80s to 53.

All in all IUP took care of business and there was never a time when I thought ESU was playing on the same level. They might run 10-12 guys at you but three guys were pretty much their entire offense. IUP played three less players and still had more guys crack the score sheet. Quality over quantity. Yes, they should have made more threes but I do think Ethan’s stress fracture is part of that equation.

As a side note, I think if I’m playing IUP the last thing I want to do is get Tomiwa fired up. For whatever reason, Pepin decided it would be a good idea to mess with him and once the big boy got the motor running he was dominant. The two also exchanged words after the game. Call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure the last guy I’d want to get in the ring with would be Tomiwa. He’s a bad, bad man.
                  Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 01-28-2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

ESU may be the most athletic team IUP has seen, but they really struggle with half court offense. Obviously IUP gets some credit for that being one of the best defensive teams in the country, but ESU had no continuity. Other than the few threes they hit, they didn’t do much when they had to create. I also think IUP was in their head a bit and it caused them to rush unnecessarily. That led to missing a bunch of bunnies, especially in the first half.

As for IUP, they’re going to be damned hard to beat, period. When ESU had their little run to cut the lead to six, IUP basically said no more of that and the next time I looked at the scoreboard they were back up by 13. I thought IUP had too many turnovers but when the dust settled ESU had two more, which is unusual for them. I told my wife that to have any chance at all ESU had to score 60. I looked at the clock at about the 8:30 mark and they had 42. The next time I looked at it at around 4:30, they still had 42. Pretty good day at the office when you hold a team that scores routinely in the 80s to 53.

All in all IUP took care of business and there was never a time when I thought ESU was playing on the same level. They might run 10-12 guys at you but three guys were pretty much their entire offense. IUP played three less players and still had more guys crack the score sheet. Quality over quantity. Yes, they should have made more threes but I do think Ethan’s stress fracture is part of that equation.

As a side note, I think if I’m playing IUP the last thing I want to do is get Tomiwa fired up. For whatever reason, Pepin decided it would be a good idea to mess with him and once the big boy got the motor running he was dominant. The two also exchanged words after the game. Call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure the last guy I’d want to get in the ring with would be Tomiwa. He’s a bad, bad man.
                    Tomiwa is a freak.

No other way to say it

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                      Making the trip today. Excited for a great game. Not taking anything for granted.
                      It was worth your while it seems!

Comment

• East Stroudsburg may be struggling, but you guys are going to be in any game where you play defense like that. Any game. Helluva lot of short-distance quickness.

Comment

• I will be at the KCAC next Saturday vs Gannon. Looking forward to seeing some of you clowns. Go Hawks!!

Comment

I thought this was a great test for IUP at this stage in the season. That’s a different type of team than they are used to seeing. I think ESU is super athletic. They had some size too. That’s a really good team. And I think IUP’s play was a huge reason they struggled on offense. They were just ferocious on defense. To hold that team to 53 points is a statement.

East Stroud missed some bunnies. A couple of those fall and it’s a different game. But they didn’t.

Tomiwa is something special. I never saw Darryl Webb play, but I feel as though Tomiwa could be compared to him. For his size at 6’6”, the combination of strength and athleticism he displays is something I don’t think I’ve ever seen on the court at the D2 level. We’ve been blessed with some tremendous players at IUP. I think he may be the most talented I’ve seen simply based on raw athleticism. And I know, that’s a bold statement. He doesn’t have the outside or finesse game that a Cobo Diaz showed, but the athleticism he can play with makes him such a difficult guy to play against.

Comment

I'm not sure I would want them in a 1st round game in a Regional. A couple of those bunnies fall and that’s a different game. There were about 3 separate times that it felt like the game was over, and ESU spurted to get to within like 6 points. Credit IUP for reacting, ending those, and throwing a bigger counter punch when they responded, but that’s still a dangerous team.

Comment

I've watched Wilson's ESU teams for several years now, and I have a lot of respect for the record he's put up. He stays with his system, recruits to it, and generally has success. But his insistence on going all-out and playing 9-10 guys can be a double-edged sword. I've seen some games where ESU goes on a nice run, then inserts 3-4 new guys, and the momentum disappears. They feed off turnovers and three-point shots, and it can get ugly for them when that doesn't happen. When you stop them from scoring, as IUP did today, you also have the added benefit of preventing them from setting up the pressure they like to run. They also can get careless in half-court defense — Lock Haven carved them up pretty well on Thursday.
                                Last edited by Ship69; 01-29-2023, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X