Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Our experience like that was in 2010-2011. WLU went 33-0 to start the season, winning every regular season game, every conference tourney game, and making the final 4, before eventually falling to our old friend Jet Chang of BYU-Hawaii (and the Taiwanese National Team) in the National Semis.

That whole season, it felt like WLU was so far above and beyond the conference that it seemed like they'd never lose (much like IUP is this season in the PSAC). There just aren't that many games on IUP's schedule this season where a loss is even fathomable (especially after seeing them dismantle ESU so easily last week). Fairmont & Wheeling were the only two close games in 2010-2011 (and as you say, when the target is so firmly on your back, it's the teams that know you best that have the best shot at you), but WLU survived those two scares.

But you're also right that when the loss finally came--in a game in which we just had no answer for the quickness of the aptly named Jet--it instantly ended the season.
    This year, I think the elephant in the room, or should I say, the shark near the beach, is Nova se. Been watching their games. Numerous matchup nightmares, like a 6-9 pg who can handle the rock. Ten deep with positionless muscle and height, all great shooters. No knucklehead shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree overall with your sentiment about the PSAC. Teams don't seem to be mailing it in. IUP was never in real danger of losing to East Stroudsburg, but man, they just kept on coming. Gannon was a battle earlier in the year. Multiple games have been hard fought, with the better team just simply pulling away.

On a different subject, but sort of related...

IUP typically gets everyone's best shot. Joe often talks about teams being excited to come into the KCAC. He's also referenced opposing fans being excited when they come into their building as they are typically a ranked team. I feel like the last 2-3 games we've started to see that "target on their back" cliche get a little bigger. Meaning, the deeper into this we get, the more and more teams want to turn that "0" into a "1" and knock off number one. Seton Hill is a good team, but it was extremely evident watching last night that there was an extra jolt within that bunch. I doubt they pack their building like that most nights either. In fact, I know they don't. The way all the SH athletic teams (which seemed like those were the only students at the game against IUP - as always) tried to harass and heckle, and the way they got excited for every layup... Meant a little bit more in the McKenna Center.

Here's how I know we're deep into the season and how this run of 21 straight games is "real," if you will... Last night during the IUP-Seton Hill game, the guys calling the game were discussing whether or not it's better for IUP to lose a game here in the next week or so, or keep working towards finishing unblemished. At no point this year have I even thought like that, because I never even once considered that they might go undefeated in a regular season.. But I'm looking at the schedule.. If they can manage to win against Mercyhurst, they may actually do just that (although I'm betting they drop a game or two still). Their whole argument was that the longer you go without losing, the pressure to not lose continues to mount, as the excitement to be the team that knocks you off also grows. And when you do end up losing, it is the loss that may end your season.

I don't think IUP goes undefeated. But it's just food for thought. I think the league this year seems to play harder than typical. Maybe that's forced IUP to be more focused. I think past IUP teams not as mentally strong would have succumbed to the Seton Hill and crowd, and subsequently blow the game on the road. But this one did not.
      IUP is just having one of those years where it's all come together and their talent level is clearly superior to most of the league. Combined with good coaching, that makes them hard to beat. And that's with Porterfield playing hurt and Foster off to Buffalo. It does look as if Jones might be getting his "A" game together at the right time for IUP. That will help them at the regional and national levels. IUP probably is one of the best defensive outfits in the country, but that alone might not get it done at the regional and national levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

This year, I think the elephant in the room, or should I say, the shark near the beach, is Nova se. Been watching their games. Numerous matchup nightmares, like a 6-9 pg who can handle the rock. Ten deep with positionless muscle and height, all great shooters. No knucklehead shots.
        We're all a long ways away from worrying about his Holiness down at the beach.

Comment

What is the obsession all you WL fans have with that guy? My goodness.

They all said that last year. And a physical team just bullied them in the Elite 8. I’m not saying they aren’t the best team in the country. I’m not saying they are either. But Jim Crutchfield’s teams always light it up. And then they run into a physical squad and just “shoot it badly.”

Comment

If you’re worried about that team then you’re looking too far ahead!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What is the obsession all you WL fans have with that guy? My goodness.

They all said that last year. And a physical team just bullied them in the Elite 8. I’m not saying they aren’t the best team in the country. I’m not saying they are either. But Jim Crutchfield’s teams always light it up. And then they run into a physical squad and just “shoot it badly.”
              He’s got them brainwashed!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We're all a long ways away from worrying about his Holiness down at the beach.
                Agreed. IUP's more clear and present worry should be a team like Mercyhurst (we've seen that movie before where IUP handled them in the regular season but a badly timed loss in the Regional ended a nice IUP run). It's clear that IUP is making the Regional. So even dropping the remaining regular season match-up with Mercyhurst won't hurt (in fact, as IUP24 might have been implying yesterday, dropping the regular season contest with Hurst might actually help take the pressure of perfection out of the equation). But that's a team that has proven to be dangerous to IUP in Regionals before. Familiarity breeds danger in this case.

And, in truth, WVSU is a team that has the personnel to match up with IUP in a Regional game (if they ever actually play a complete 40-minute game with any sense of focus). So you might have to become fans of Charleston & Concord down the stretch in hopes of WVSU picking up 1-2 more losses that would cripple their chances of even making a Regional.
                Last edited by Scrub; 02-03-2023, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Agreed. IUP's more clear and present worry should be a team like Mercyhurst (we've seen that movie before where IUP handled them in the regular season but a badly timed loss in the Regional ended a nice IUP run). It's clear that IUP is making the Regional. So even dropping the remaining regular season match-up with Mercyhurst won't hurt (in fact, as IUP24 might have been implying yesterday, dropping the regular season contest with Hurst might actually help take the pressure of perfection out of the equation). But that's a team that has proven to be dangerous to IUP in Regionals before. Familiarity breeds danger in this case.

And, in truth, WVSU is a team that has the personnel to match up with IUP in a Regional game (if they ever actually play a complete 40-minute game with any sense of focus). So you might have to become fans of Charleston & Concord down the stretch in hopes of WVSU picking up 1-2 more losses that would cripple their chances of even making a Regional.
                  There's not an easy game on Regional Saturday, Sunday or Tuesday. You can hope for some perhaps more favorable match-ups but even the 8-1 game is a tough game.

IUP beating Cal a fourth time last year was a miracle in itself. That's incredibly hard to beat a good team 4 times in one year.

To paraphrase Redshirt Joe: "We're worried about Gannon and only Gannon."

Comment

To paraphrase Redshirt Joe: "We're worried about Gannon and only Gannon."
                    And the biggest worry about Gannon might be the guys who don't even dress. ; )

Comment

And the biggest worry about Gannon might be the guys who don't even dress. ; )
                      I don't think they'll be a problem. The track suits shouldn't even travel but if they do, I'm sure the crowd will hammer them!!!

Comment

• Joe said in the paper today they have to get Ousmane Diop 'ready'.

I swear we've been saying that on here since November.

Comment

Joe said in the paper today they have to get Ousmane Diop 'ready'.

I swear we've been saying that on here since November.
                          Diop is one of the big “Joe” mysteries along with keeping starters in late in blowouts. Every time the kid is on the floor he makes things happen. He alters shots and has pretty good hands for a guy of his stature. Maybe he’s not a good practice player. Maybe KJ is a great practice player so he gets more time. Hard to say with not being in the building everyday and also hard to question Joe’s reasoning. It’s just mysterious to those of us on the outside looking in.

Comment

For what it’s worth, this is a very different team than the one Mercyhurst knocked off in the regional a few years ago. That’s not at all saying it can’t be done, but it’s unlikely. Regarding WVSU, I would see that as an outstanding matchup for IUP. Teams like that don’t respond well to having their preferred style taken away and being held way below their scoring average. Then it comes down to the mental fortitude to deal with it and as you stated, that’s a team prone to losing focus. I don’t think IUP’s in a position to worry at all about what’s going on around them. IUP’s scariest opponent is IUP. Obviously the favorite doesn’t win every time and we’ve now seen #1 seeds knocked off by #16s in the NCAA Tourney, but I feel pretty strongly we’re watching at least a Final Four team here.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Diop is one of the big “Joe” mysteries along with keeping starters in late in blowouts. Every time the kid is on the floor he makes things happen. He alters shots and has pretty good hands for a guy of his stature. Maybe he’s not a good practice player. Maybe KJ is a great practice player so he gets more time. Hard to say with not being in the building everyday and also hard to question Joe’s reasoning. It’s just mysterious to those of us on the outside looking in.
                              I feel like Joe has one big every single year like this. A guy who has great size, appears to be competent enough, etc., but just never sees the floor. It's never a guard. It's always a big guy who could play 8-10 minutes a night, give a couple fouls, and offer some assistance on the journey. We have this same conversation every year with one guy in that position.

Diop is just a nameless gray face. It'll be somebody different next year. And the year after. And the one after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

IUP’s scariest opponent is IUP. Obviously the favorite doesn’t win every time and we’ve now seen #1 seeds knocked off by #16s in the NCAA Tourney, but I feel pretty strongly we’re watching at least a Final Four team here.
                                That's well put. And I can't say I disagree with you.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X