Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

That's well put. And I can't say I disagree with you.
    The Porterfield item is a major issue we'll have to monitor. A lot changes if he's not available for a stretch. They change pretty dramatically without Ethan in the lineup in that they can play much faster. Brooks is a big dude but can fly. Diop can really run, too, for his size. With Ethan in they have to play a slower pace and a more-structured offense. They are good at both but are probably less predicable with Brooks in the lineup. He doesn't shoot the three like Ethan but he also poses the threat of alley-oops, etc.

IUP has a very difficult stretch starting tomorrow with Gannon, (at) Mercyhurst and Pitt-Johnstown (that's a tough three games in 5 days).

Gannon is who they are at this point but, as usual, it will be a physical war with them tomorrow. That's just how they play and just how every IUP/GU game is -- chippy, dirty, cheap shots, etc. Mercyhurst has a bye tomorrow. So, some stars are perhaps aligning for them Monday night.

UPJ is also a very tough game for IUP. They are extremely tough in a half court game and Joe wanted to beat them at their own game in the first meeting (and did but it was tight). Kromka won't get the same golden leash in the KCAC that he gets in the Sports Center, but nonetheless they are a very tough opponent.

They can worry about Monday on Sunday.

Comment

• Hard to believe, but it's been 9 years since the infamous Silent Night game. Every Gannon visit reminds me of it. That was GU's last win in Indiana.

A record crowd (to this day) filled the KCAC that night.

IUP, of course, blew a halftime lead and lost.

It's amazing what has happened to these two programs since that night.

IUP went to the national title game the following year. Gannon beat IUP 2 of 3 that year, including a walk-off Hail Mary in the PSAC final at the Hammermill. The Knights we're upset the following week by Slippery Rock in Round 1 of the NCAA Tournament (a team they hammered three times that year).

IUP then went on a very long winning streak against Gannon. John Reilly was eventually run out of town. Kelvin Jefferson has been there since mostly with mixed results. In fact, Gannon's lone win against IUP since that PSAC Final came during the Covid season when GU played a season and IUP agreed to play a game after two practices. So, take that game for what it's worth.

Had SRU not upset Gannon that Saturday down at West Liberty, I'm not sure Joe would have got past them in Round 2. Perhaps.

The Saturday night games of that era had a special vibe. The coaches, all younger then, often put on quite a show, too.

Comment

• Definitely programs that headed in opposite directions since then. I expect Gannon to start the game inspired today, but once IUP pulls in front we might get more hard fouls than field goals from the visitors. I hate this game because Gannon has absolutely nothing to play for while IUP has everything to play for in the big picture. I expect IUP to cover today assuming the line is around 12-15. I see Gannon scoring around 55 today with IUP going for low 70s. I’d be shocked if Gannon got close to the 67 they got in the first meeting.

Comment

• Porterfield is on a "rest" day today as expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
            Porterfield is on a "rest" day today as expected.
            IUP is very deep and it’s showing today. Nice to see Ethan just sitting around. I’d still like to see Diop get some minutes. I was a little surprised to see MacNamara get in ahead of him. That spoke volumes about the depth chart. That said, nice job by Joe stealing some minutes there. Gannon looked gassed at the end of the half and they’re really only playing six guys. They also have foul trouble. If they don’t make a run to start this half it’s going to get away from them quickly.

Comment

• Diop may have a rib injury. He’s wearing a jacket under his jersey.

That said, the big man makes things happen out there.
              Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 02-04-2023, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Hothead Kent lost his mind!!!

Comment

• Kent blew up as expected

Comment

• Kent is a hot head but he isn't a bad dude. He's just stuck on a terrible team.

The crowd tee'd off on him and he eventually lost it. He was a good sport. Gave a kiss goodbye.

I'd love to have that dude off our bench.

Herster was in his usual cheerleader uniform. He couldn't 'get mine' today.

Comment

• As expected Porterfield dressed but took the day off. He was dressed for emergency purposes only. He didn't even warm up.

Joe had Tomiwa in the 49 seconds left. That's just a WTF moment. No other way to say it.

Ousmane just produces. Plain and simple.

Clancy is a clone of the kid from Mercyhurst a few years ago. They even look the same. He just parks in a spot and waits for the ball. He can shoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        As expected Porterfield dressed but took the day off. He was dressed for emergency purposes only. He didn't even warm up.

Joe had Tomiwa in the 49 seconds left. That's just a WTF moment. No other way to say it.

Ousmane just produces. Plain and simple.

Clancy is a clone of the kid from Mercyhurst a few years ago. They even look the same. He just parks in a spot and waits for the ball. He can shoot.
                        I think that kid is the Mercyhurst kid and he taught himself to shoot right-handed to throw everyone off the trail.

Ous is fun to watch, that’s for sure. He’s a menace on defense with those long arms. A little clumsy on the offensive end, but it’s hard to be like silk when you don’t get the reps. If he can give 2-4 minutes a game it helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I think that kid is the Mercyhurst kid and he taught himself to shoot right-handed to throw everyone off the trail.

Ous is fun to watch, that’s for sure. He’s a menace on defense with those long arms. A little clumsy on the offensive end, but it’s hard to be like silk when you don’t get the reps. If he can give 2-4 minutes a game it helps.
                          My wife actually made the comparison to the Mercyhurst kid. I can't remember his name. He hit the corner trey to beat IUP 4 years ago. He literally never moved from his spot and Dante left him wide open.

Comment

• Pratapas

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Pratapas
                              Yeah, I was there that night too. I think that kid only played 5 minutes per game but he knew the assignment.

If there’s one thing IUP lacks it’s that guy that can come in and be a sharpshooter in key spots. It’s hard to have it all, but it helps to have that guy. That said, playing the three game is no way to live your life. Eventually it comes back to bite you. I think I prefer to have extra bodies that can play defense and eat up quality minutes. Points saved are as good as points gained.

Comment

• In case you missed it ...

Brooks turned in his freshman card today. He was front and center in the 33 tussle.

As John Kreese says ... No Mercy

He's arrived

Work in progress, sure, but, he's arrived.

I can't even imagine him in two years as a junior.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X