Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    It’s over. IUP just doesn’t have it offensively. Butler is by far the best player on the floor. I know you don’t want to run up and down with WL but, call me crazy, this pace is TOO slow. It’s lethargic, there’s no emotion.
    West Liberty is the better team clearly. Better plan offensively. Better players offensively. Play way more efficiently offensively.

The game was largely played at IUP’s pace. They limited possessions. But when they shoot 51% and you shoot 33%, it’s tough to win against anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

West Liberty is the better team clearly. Better plan offensively. Better players offensively. Play way more efficiently offensively.

The game was largely played at IUP’s pace. They limited possessions. But when they shoot 51% and you shoot 33%, it’s tough to win against anyone.
      That’s a sure way to lose.

Comment

This is not the way to beat WL. You have to strike a balance between controlling tempo and being aggressive when the opportunities are there. But you said it, IUP didn’t have a lot of chances to attack because the press break was awful.

And yep, in the end when you shoot this poorly, not a whole lot else matters.

Comment

This is not the way to beat WL. You have to strike a balance between controlling tempo and being aggressive when the opportunities are there. But you said it, IUP didn’t have a lot of chances to attack because the press break was awful.

Following the posts on here..poor shooting for weeks seems to have caught up to them.

Comment

The blueprint to beat them is what they did in 2015. If the shot is there in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock, you take it. If not you run your offense with 10-12 on the shot clock.

But their offense was Shawndale Jones backing down guys in the post and throwing up a wild shot that missed badly. That’s not a formula.

Comment

• Oh well. 32-2, a PSAC title and a Sweet 16 appearance is nothing to be embarrassed about. The ending sucked but Mama said there’d be days like this.

Comment

Oh well. 32-2, a PSAC title and a Sweet 16 appearance is nothing to be embarrassed about. The ending sucked but Mama said there’d be days like this.
                Absolutely. Great season, Hawks. And as long as Redshirt Joe is patrolling those sidelines, I have no doubt you'll be back.

Special shout-out to Danny & Payton on the mic tonight. I know the student broadcasters took some heat on the board a few days ago, but I really thought those kids called a nice game. They were fair and excitable for both teams. It was an enjoyable broadcast.

You guys have a first-rate facility, first-rate media department, and a first-rate program--hats off for doing it the right way and being great hosts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Absolutely. Great season, Hawks. And as long as Redshirt Joe is patrolling those sidelines, I have no doubt you'll be back.

Special shout-out to Danny & Payton on the mic tonight. I know the student broadcasters took some heat on the board a few days ago, but I really thought those kids called a nice game. They were fair and excitable for both teams. It was an enjoyable broadcast.

You guys have a first-rate facility, first-rate media department, and a first-rate program--hats off for doing it the right way and being great hosts.
                  Appreciate you always being classy. And man, is your team tough. I knew Butler was a great player but wow, I never expected him to dominate to that level. I hoped for, at the least, a game on par with most of the other battles between our teams, but unfortunately IUP’s warts showed and WL was just too much.

Comment

Oh well. 32-2, a PSAC title and a Sweet 16 appearance is nothing to be embarrassed about. The ending sucked but Mama said there’d be days like this.
                    That’s probably the unfortunate changing of the guard so to speak. This IUP team probably looks different next year. And West Liberty is rolling again. Those guys are all back next year too. This was a lot like 2015 in many ways.

While IUP didn’t take ownership of the region for a couple of seasons, IUP’s win on their floor in 2015 was the death nail for that era of dominance within the region. Probably the same story here.

IUP had a remarkable 4 year run. The biggest regret I have is the 2020 cancelled tournament. I still think that was the best team of this run. And they never got the opportunity to do it.

Comment

West Liberty was head and shoulders a better basketball team than IUP. And I don’t think that was just limited to this night.

West Liberty played essentially a perfect game at a pace they are not really comfortable playing. I thought IUP did a very good job defensively and limited possessions, but it’s hard to
                      beat anybody when they shoot over 50% on a big stage. And that was the story.

Comment

Appreciate you always being classy. And man, is your team tough. I knew Butler was a great player but wow, I never expected him to dominate to that level. I hoped for, at the least, a game on par with most of the other battles between our teams, but unfortunately IUP’s warts showed and WL was just too much.
                        I admit, I'm a little surprised that Butler wasn't bothered by your horses inside. I've seem him have performances like that time and again against MEC "bigs," but to go and do it against legit PSAC bigs was impressive.

IUP got the pace where they wanted it (a game in the 70s), but just couldn't find enough shots to drop.

Comment

Very classy post. Thank you.

Comment

That’s probably the unfortunate changing of the guard so to speak. This IUP team probably looks different next year. And West Liberty is rolling again. Those guys are all back next year too. This was a lot like 2015 in many ways.

While IUP didn’t take ownership of the region for a couple of seasons, IUP’s win on their floor in 2015 was the death nail for that era of dominance within the region. Probably the same story here.

IUP had a remarkable 4 year run. The biggest regret I have is the 2020 cancelled tournament. I still think that was the best team of this run. And they never got the opportunity to do it.
                            If Ethan and Tomiwa stay, next year could be a fun team. I expect Dallis to make a jump to star player status. They probably won’t look as talented on paper at the start of the year, but that could be a team that gets a lot better as the season goes along, which really didn’t happen this year especially offensively.

This team won a ton of games because they had 4 excellent D2 players that most of their opponents couldn’t match. But offensively, the whole was not as good as the sum of the parts. I know Ethan’s condition was a factor, but something else wasn’t right. It never really fully clicked. And then the shooting fell off a cliff in the second half, which will be one of the great mysteries of IUP basketball lore.

Comment

If Ethan and Tomiwa stay, next year could be a fun team. I expect Dallis to make a jump to star player status. They probably won’t look as talented on paper at the start of the year, but that could be a team that gets a lot better as the season goes along, which really didn’t happen this year especially offensively.

This team won a ton of games because they had 4 excellent D2 players that most of their opponents couldn’t match. But offensively, the whole was not as good as the sum of the parts. I know Ethan’s condition was a factor, but something else wasn’t right. It never really fully clicked. And then the shooting fell off a cliff in the second half, which will be one of the great mysteries of IUP basketball lore.
                              Great season for you guys, and IUP could be up there again next year if all your players return. I've been as baffled by their shooting downturn recently as anyone. You expect to have a game or two like that every once in a while, but they've really been slumping recently and it caught up to them last night. It's a testament to their defense that they got as far as they did.

West Liberty is clearly the best in the region this season and proved it on the court. Hope they go on to represent the region well at the NCAAs.

Comment

• I didn't watch any IUP or WL game this season, other than paying attn to scores and what not. I attended saturday's games at IUP and couldn't believe that IUP was #1 team in the country the way they played / looked vs WSSU. Didn't shoot well, not alot of urgency...Porterfield looked disinterested...I was expecting more...Assuming these last 3 games were aberrations and not how they accumulated 31 wins during season... they are tough as hell on D and have length / size, but shooting prowess was lacking...I know two 6'10' guys contributed to that from WSSU, but I was unimpressed...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X