Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For some reason I went back and watched the first half of the game. I think IUP was running on fumes, physically and mentally, from the start. Even when the game went back and forth for much of the first half there was no energy, no spark. The way they responded to the press, the way they slowed the pace to such a degree that they essentially gave themselves no room for error, they looked spent. Tomiwa had to be hurting. He took several hard falls and collisions over the weekend and a couple more last night. He practically needed carried to the bench a couple times.

I sat in the third row of section 111 for the East Stroudsburg game in January. I don’t think I ever saw a more ferocious IUP team up that close than I did that day. They were everywhere. That team, even with their shooting woes, could’ve beaten West Liberty. Right now, if they played 10 times, I think West Lib would win by double digits every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

If Ethan and Tomiwa stay, next year could be a fun team. I expect Dallis to make a jump to star player status. They probably won’t look as talented on paper at the start of the year, but that could be a team that gets a lot better as the season goes along, which really didn’t happen this year especially offensively.

This team won a ton of games because they had 4 excellent D2 players that most of their opponents couldn’t match. But offensively, the whole was not as good as the sum of the parts. I know Ethan’s condition was a factor, but something else wasn’t right. It never really fully clicked. And then the shooting fell off a cliff in the second half, which will be one of the great mysteries of IUP basketball lore.
      I partly think this team just peaked early. They looked, at least from watching, like a very solid team offensively early on. I’m not sure where the change occurred, but by the numbers, their last really, really strong offensive game was the road game at Seton Hill. They fell apart after. No clue why. Their offense yesterday, primarily, was Jones trying to back guys down in the low post. That’s not a winning formula. It will beat Mansfield, but not good teams.

I expect Ethan to be back. If he was to leave, it would’ve been after last year when he was one of the best three point shooters at any level of college basketball. There was a point in the year where I had it on pretty good accord that a staffer at Alabama with Western PA connections was essentially told to “get Porterfield by any means necessary.” They had NIL money ready for him, and his camp and Alabama were supposedly in contact (what a ridiculous world we live in pertaining to college sports now). But that’s supposedly cooled off. I think it’s to IUP’s benefit that he wasn’t healthy all year.

Comment

• It’s almost as if the #1 ranking turned out to be a curse and thry went off kilter…

I guess we now go about obsessing who is the starting QB come August…

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I partly think this team just peaked early. They looked, at least from watching, like a very solid team offensively early on. I’m not sure where the change occurred, but by the numbers, their last really, really strong offensive game was the road game at Seton Hill. They fell apart after. No clue why. Their offense yesterday, primarily, was Jones trying to back guys down in the low post. That’s not a winning formula. It will beat Mansfield, but not good teams.

I expect Ethan to be back. If he was to leave, it would’ve been after last year when he was one of the best three point shooters at any level of college basketball. There was a point in the year where I had it on pretty good accord that a staffer at Alabama with Western PA connections was essentially told to “get Porterfield by any means necessary.” They had NIL money ready for him, and his camp and Alabama were supposedly in contact (what a ridiculous world we live in pertaining to college sports now). But that’s supposedly cooled off. I think it’s to IUP’s benefit that he wasn’t healthy all year.
          You could tell at the PSAC tourney that he was slowed, even though he had a couple of good games there. Three games against tough, physical opponents in the regional had to weigh on him. Best thing for him right now would be just to rest that stress fracture and get healthy. IUP's guards have puzzled me. Obviously I'm not going to rag on Shawndale Jones with the year he had this season, but honestly I thought he'd be even better than he has been, given where he was when he got injured last season. Morris's shooting also seemed up and down this year. He was really deadly from distance at the end of last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
            It’s almost as if the #1 ranking turned out to be a curse and thry went off kilter…

I guess we now go about obsessing who is the starting QB come August…
            The #1 ranking has zero to do with anything, but you look around the country, and 7 of the 8 one seeds failed to advance to Evansville. Most didn’t reach last night. Two lost on Saturday, IUP should have been the third.

It’s a tough format at this level. For as great as the program has been, they reached the Elite 8 just once since 2015. It’s tougher at this level than at the D1 level where it’s an open seeded tournament. You’re often playing teams a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time. And if not, they are typically teams you are familiar with from your region. There’s zero surprises.

At the D1 level, you can get away with not playing your best because the opponent is often foreign. And weaknesses you display may not be as easily exploited given that the opposition doesn’t know what you do all the time.
            Last edited by IUP24; 03-15-2023, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

You could tell at the PSAC tourney that he was slowed, even though he had a couple of good games there. Three games against tough, physical opponents in the regional had to weigh on him. Best thing for him right now would be just to rest that stress fracture and get healthy. IUP's guards have puzzled me. Obviously I'm not going to rag on Shawndale Jones with the year he had this season, but honestly I thought he'd be even better than he has been, given where he was when he got injured last season. Morris's shooting also seemed up and down this year. He was really deadly from distance at the end of last season.
              I’ve taken heat on here for my opinion on Porterfield. He’s been hampered by injury/illness, but I think he’s regressed as a total player since last year. I don’t know, but something just isn’t there for me when I watch him. He’s a great D2 player, but for the talk of him going to the next level, I never have seen it. Again, recognizing the injuries, I still feel like something is just off within his game this year.

He isn’t big enough to be a D1 big. He’s not fast enough to run the floor as a G/F at that level either. He’s good here because fits right in the middle, size and speed wise, as the guy many think he could be at that level.

Comment

I’ve taken heat on here for my opinion on Porterfield. He’s been hampered by injury/illness, but I think he’s regressed as a total player since last year. I don’t know, but something just isn’t there for me when I watch him. He’s a great D2 player, but for the talk of him going to the next level, I never have seen it. Again, recognizing the injuries, I still feel like something is just off within his game this year.

He isn’t big enough to be a D1 big. He’s not fast enough to run the floor as a G/F at that level either. He’s good here because fits right in the middle, size and speed wise, as the guy many think he could be at that level.
                Well, there usually is a reason some guys are D1 and others D2. Sometimes you have a beast like a Phil Alston who can flit up to D1 and play at a fairly high level, but that usually isn't the case. What I notice about D2 is you have a lot of 6-4, 6-5 guys playing forward positions. That's usually guard height at D1. Ship had Carter, a 6-5 or so guy with good leaping ability, jumping center most of the season, and he actually won most of the tipoffs. I agree that speed would be a problem for Porterfield at a high D1 level.

Comment

The #1 ranking has zero to do with anything, but you look around the country, and 7 of the 8 one seeds failed to advance to Evansville. Most didn’t reach last night. Two lost on Saturday, IUP should have been the third.

It’s a tough format at this level. For as great as the program has been, they reached the Elite 8 just once since 2015. It’s tougher at this level than at the D1 level where it’s an open seeded tournament. You’re often playing teams a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time. And if not, they are typically teams you are familiar with from your region. There’s zero surprises.

At the D1 level, you can get away with not playing your best because the opponent is often foreign. And weaknesses you display may not be as easily exploited given that the opposition doesn’t know what you do all the time.
                  Teams' familiarity with one another's styles, plus the fact that you don't get some .500 or so lower-level club in the D2 regional as you might get in an opening D1 tourney game, play a big factor. The classic for me was a few years back when Ship blew out higher-rated West Liberty and Virginia State teams a few years back in the regional, then tripped over PSAC foe East Stroudsburg in the Sweet 16 game. ESU probably wasn't as good as either West Liberty or Virginia State that year, but Jeff Wilson just knew better what he needed to do to win against Ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, there usually is a reason some guys are D1 and others D2. Sometimes you have a beast like a Phil Alston who can flit up to D1 and play at a fairly high level, but that usually isn't the case. What I notice about D2 is you have a lot of 6-4, 6-5 guys playing forward positions. That's usually guard height at D1. Ship had Carter, a 6-5 or so guy with good leaping ability, jumping center most of the season, and he actually won most of the tipoffs. I agree that speed would be a problem for Porterfield at a high D1 level.
                    I agree. Many d2 players are better fundamentally and have higher basketball iqs than many in d1. They are just 4 inches too short, too slender or a smidge less quickness for d1 game, which emphasizes physical measurables.

Comment

• It's now been (9) days since the season ended.

The good news is neither Ethan Porterfield or Tomiwa Sulaiman is in the portal.

Typically, if stars survive the first week after the last game, they aren't leaving. Everybody close to the program I've talked to seems to think both are staying in Indiana.

So, with the two building blocks in place for '23'-'24, what comes next?

Obviously, Dallis Dillard and Jaylen Stewart will elevate to much larger roles at the guard position.

If there are two transfer concerns at this point, I'd think they would be Kyle Polce and Jaheim Bethea. Both played somewhat frequently in NOV-DEC but both transitioned to Joe's version of Siberia in JAN-FEB. Polce should have played much more. Bethea was tossed in as a true freshman early, but, as Joe does with almost all his true freshmen ... well, he keeps the diapers on them. So, it's hard to say what they have in Bethea. Playing essentially 0 mpg in JAN-FEB didn't help his development much. He also played in too many games to classify as a redshirt.

Looking ahead:

The post is set for next season. Porterfield and Sulaiman will headline, with Damir Brooks and Dolan Waldo also in the mix. Waldo redshirted this past season. Many think he will be Joe's next floor-spreading small forward. He has a very nice outside shot and can also run the floor very well. He's got the ideal 6'7" height, but this offseason he needs to put on about 10-15 pounds. Brooks had a solid redshirt freshman year in his limited role. A big off-season in the weight room could turn him into a real force next season. KJ Rhodes will likely still be on the roster but with those four healthy it's hard to imagine him being in the post player rotation.

The guards are a little more complicated. I'd assume Stewart will move to his more-natural shooting guard position. Dallis will become the starter at the 2 guard. If Polce stays, I'd think he becomes the 6th man-ish. Bethea would be in the running for the PG spot (likely the backup as a sophomore).

David, Shawndale, Diop and Cordon are gone.

Recruiting-wise this off-season, I suspect Joe will target:

* A (ready to start, transfer) true point guard. It was clear he didn't like the committee approach this past year. The obvious wish list No. 1 here would be former Mercyhurst PG Michael Bradley. He checks every box on both ends, is experienced and knows the league. He's a one-year grad transfer (which Joe typically doesn't target) but he'd be too good to pass if they could get him.

* A jack-of-all-trades transfer guard. Samuel Tabe from Seton Hill is the definition of that phrase. He's a legit 6'5", athletic and strong as an ox. He can bang the glass, too. However, since entering the portal, he's received interest from 15+ D1 mid-majors. So, he's likely a longshot. But, I think he's the prototype for this second transfer guard Joe needs to target.

* A high school guard to redshirt and develop.

* The post players are set but I'd still love to see Joe sign a true muscle 'big' for the bench. I'm not talking a Diop type but more a Gary Edwards-era type ... the 'goon' per se who could give you 5-6 minutes a game, draw and give fouls, etc. This player won't help you at all in March but is needed at times during the West gauntlet.

If Joe has portal success with the two much-needed guards, I think IUP will stay in contention to win the PSAC next year. Looking (way too early) at the West, California is going to be stacked -- and hungry. Mercyhurst and UPJ were both decimated. Gannon took major losses and now enters a rebuild within a rebuild. Seton Hill lost (3) key players to the portal. SRU just lost its best players in Britt (graduation) and Gates (portal). Edinboro has been struggling for years.

So, with the right additions, I think Joe can keep the train on track. The PG import is the key. Many things contributed to the offensive train-wreck this past team became in the second half, but I think that lack of a consistent PG was a major factor. Hopefully this addition will solidify the offense and get it back to normal -- and not glorified street ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        It's now been (9) days since the season ended.

Typically, if stars survive the first week after the last game, they aren't leaving. Everybody close to the program I've talked to seems to think both are staying in Indiana.

Obviously, Dallis Dillard and Jaylen Stewart will elevate to much larger roles at the guard position.

If there are two transfer concerns at this point, I'd think they would be Kyle Polce and Jaheim Bethea. Both played somewhat frequently in NOV-DEC but both transitioned to Joe's version of Siberia in JAN-FEB. Polce should have played much more. Bethea was tossed in as a true freshman early, but, as Joe does with almost all his true freshmen ... well, he keeps the diapers on them. So, it's hard to say what they have in Bethea. Playing essentially 0 mpg in JAN-FEB didn't help his development much. He also played in too many games to classify as a redshirt.

Looking ahead:

The post is set for next season. Porterfield and Sulaiman will headline, with Damir Brooks and Dolan Waldo also in the mix. Waldo redshirted this past season. Many think he will be Joe's next floor-spreading small forward. He has a very nice outside shot and can also run the floor very well. He's got the ideal 6'7" height, but this offseason he needs to put on about 10-15 pounds. Brooks had a solid redshirt freshman year in his limited role. A big off-season in the weight room could turn him into a real force next season. KJ Rhodes will likely still be on the roster but with those four healthy it's hard to imagine him being in the post player rotation.

The guards are a little more complicated. I'd assume Stewart will move to his more-natural shooting guard position. Dallis will become the starter at the 2 guard. If Polce stays, I'd think he becomes the 6th man-ish. Bethea would be in the running for the PG spot (likely the backup as a sophomore).

* A (ready to start, transfer) true point guard. It was clear he didn't like the committee approach this past year. The obvious wish list No. 1 here would be former Mercyhurst PG Michael Bradley. He checks every box on both ends, is experienced and knows the league. He's a one-year grad transfer (which Joe typically doesn't target) but he'd be too good to pass if they could get him.

* A jack-of-all-trades transfer guard. Samuel Tabe from Seton Hill is the definition of that phrase. He's a legit 6'5", athletic and strong as an ox. He can bang the glass, too. However, since entering the portal, he's received interest from 15+ D1 mid-majors. So, he's likely a longshot. But, I think he's the prototype for this second transfer guard Joe needs to target.

* The post players are set but I'd still love to see Joe sign a true muscle 'big' for the bench. I'm not talking a Diop type but more a Gary Edwards-era type ... the 'goon' per se who could give you 5-6 minutes a game, draw and give fouls, etc. This player won't help you at all in March but is needed at times during the West gauntlet.

If Joe has portal success with the two much-needed guards, I think IUP will stay in contention to win the PSAC next year. Looking (way too early) at the West, California is going to be stacked -- and hungry. Mercyhurst and UPJ were both decimated. Gannon took major losses and now enters a rebuild within a rebuild. Seton Hill lost (3) key players to the portal. SRU just lost its best players in Britt (graduation) and Gates (portal). Edinboro has been struggling for years.

So, with the right additions, I think Joe can keep the train on track. The PG import is the key. Many things contributed to the offensive train-wreck this past team became in the second half, but I think that lack of a consistent PG was a major factor. Hopefully this addition will solidify the offense and get it back to normal -- and not glorified street ball.
                        Could KJ be in the mix at guard? That’s what he came in as and what he’s listed as on the roster. He could be another Jeremy Jeffers, a guy we didn’t really care for as a post player, but once he’s in a more natural position can become a solid contributor.

Comment

Could KJ be in the mix at guard? That’s what he came in as and what he’s listed as on the roster. He could be another Jeremy Jeffers, a guy we didn’t really care for as a post player, but once he’s in a more natural position can become a solid contributor.
                          Personally, I don't think. His shot isn't there. I think he'll fill a role and be a deep bench guy.

Comment

Have you ever seen KJ shoot?

Comment

• *Checks Twitter*

Spoke too soon.

Sulaiman portaling.

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              It's now been (9) days since the season ended.

Looking ahead:

Comment

• Just heard

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X