Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I love to have Tomiwa on the team? Yes.

Would I love to know more about why he just decommitted from Bryant? For sure.

Do I want to just say, "Hey man, it's all good come on back here."? Truthfully, I'm not sure.

I understand stars and elites get preferential treatment in any walk of life. I understand there's a different set of rules for guys of his ilk in the portal/NIL era. But man.. You're really, really going down a slippery slope if he winds up back in Indiana. Certainly understand the "he never should have left" argument. But this isn't the same as a guy just entering, seeing what's out there, and saying, "Nah, I'm good here." He left. He wrote the half-hearted goodbye on social media. He committed elsewhere. He was gone.

Does he want to be in Indiana? Does he leave after next year again?

Great player who would certainly make them really good. But do you want to go down that road? If he and Lombardi reportedly didn't see eye to eye on his role, then do you really want that riff on the team?

But... Joe preaches a culture of family, love, and togetherness. And perhaps admitting to one's mistake(s) or poor decisions and forgiving someone else is part of that culture too.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      Would I love to have Tomiwa on the team? Yes.

Would I love to know more about why he just decommitted from Bryant? For sure.

Do I want to just say, "Hey man, it's all good come on back here."? Truthfully, I'm not sure.

I understand stars and elites get preferential treatment in any walk of life. I understand there's a different set of rules for guys of his ilk in the portal/NIL era. But man.. You're really, really going down a slippery slope if he winds up back in Indiana. Certainly understand the "he never should have left" argument. But this isn't the same as a guy just entering, seeing what's out there, and saying, "Nah, I'm good here." He left. He wrote the half-hearted goodbye on social media. He committed elsewhere. He was gone.

Does he want to be in Indiana? Does he leave after next year again?

Great player who would certainly make them really good. But do you want to go down that road? If he and Lombardi reportedly didn't see eye to eye on his role, then do you really want that riff on the team?

But... Joe preaches a culture of family, love, and togetherness. And perhaps admitting to one's mistake(s) or poor decisions and forgiving someone else is part of that culture too.
      Yes, yes and yes.

If it's one more year so be it.

These 'teams' are becoming year to year entities.

Do I really think he'll come back? No.

But, it's late May and he's basketball homeless as of today. He's still in Indiana.

Joe needs all the firepower he can get. I'll contribute to his NIL fund.

p.s. Maybe it's not Tomiwa who should be doing the apologizing.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yes, yes and yes.

But, it's late May and he's basketball homeless as of today. He's still in Indiana.

To remotely even think IUP shouldn’t take this guy back, you’d have to be a complete moron!

I highly doubt he comes back but I’d certainly welcome him back with open arms as a fan. He’s a talented star that brings winning energy game in and game out!

Comment

• Sulaiman to Towson.

Comment

Yes, yes and yes.

Many of us on these boards likely contribute to our teams, but given the current condition of the PASSHE system I'd hate to see us get into some sort of D2 NIL race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Many of us on these boards likely contribute to our teams, but given the current condition of the PASSHE system I'd hate to see us get into some sort of D2 NIL race.
              I am also against NIL in D2. I want to watch teams that are actually students, not hired guns. If it happens, I will bail on d2, and probably start looking at good d3 teams that play unselfish team ball. Yeshiva univ. Comes to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I am also against NIL in D2. I want to watch teams that are actually students, not hired guns. If it happens, I will bail on d2, and probably start looking at good d3 teams that play unselfish team ball. Yeshiva univ. Comes to mind.
                NIL arms race? Yeah I'm out. A local bar offering to pay a player to do some sort of pseudo celebrity appearance? Why not. These kids don't have time to work anyway.

Comment

• It appears former WL player Luke Dyer has joined Ron Fudala's staff.

Comment

They won't pay you as much, Ben.

Comment

Well, NIL is here (and legal) whether we like it or not.

Granted, most D2 fanbases don't even know what NIL is. But, the schools with the big followings will slowly get on board.

The heavy rumor is IUP's fancy new transfer QB got money. Shepherd had 2-3 football players with NIL deals last year.

If you have prominent business owners who want to play the game, why not.

Comment

• Looks like Joe’s flock is growing. Another transfer guard announced. Is he done or does he have more bills in his wallet?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                          Looks like Joe’s flock is growing. Another transfer guard announced. Is he done or does he have more bills in his wallet?
                          Guards

Dallis Dillard
                          Jaylen Stewart
                          Garvin Clarke *
                          Denzel Kabasele *
                          Anthony Watson *
                          Josh Petteno *

Forwards

Ethan Porterfield
                          Gabriel Romero-Sanz *
                          Damir Brooks
                          Dolan Waldo

Unknown

KJ Rhodes (just graduated ... may not be staying)

If they have somebody on academic money (which is the rumor that 'at least' one is on academic money) then he could probably still add one more player (not counting the upcoming couple walk-ons).

I was really expecting this next announcement to have been a post player. It still may be coming. We thought they'd sign 6 players. Five are on the books.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 05-23-2023, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• More on today's signing:

Josh Petteno / 6'4", 210 lbs / SG

Appears he will be a one-year guy at IUP (but not 100% sure). Played on a 19-10 team at Young Harris.

Started 25 of 27 games for Young Harris last year
                            - shot 45 of 118 from deep (.381)
                            - shot 75 of 90 from the FT line (.833)
                            - 99 rebounds
                            - 27 steals (team high)
                            - 42 assists
                            - Pretty consistent season performance. Had 26 against Chowan.

Comment

Well, NIL is here (and legal) whether we like it or not.

Granted, most D2 fanbases don't even know what NIL is. But, the schools with the big followings will slowly get on board.

The heavy rumor is IUP's fancy new transfer QB got money. Shepherd had 2-3 football players with NIL deals last year.

If you have prominent business owners who want to play the game, why not.
                              Well, because it basically means those located in more populous areas or those who currently at the top of the heap will get more money. In other words, the rich will get richer as is happening at the D1 level already. Can you imagine anyone getting much NIL money in places such as Clarion, Mansfield, and Lock Haven, which are already having trouble retaining players and competing in most sports? Given the current track of college sports, I can foresee more Cheyneys in our future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, because it basically means those located in more populous areas or those who currently at the top of the heap will get more money. In other words, the rich will get richer as is happening at the D1 level already. Can you imagine anyone getting much NIL money in places such as Clarion, Mansfield, and Lock Haven, which are already having trouble retaining players and competing in most sports? Given the current track of college sports, I can foresee more Cheyneys in our future.
                                I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying it's already here.

If it would have took $20k in NIL for Tomiwa to stay at IUP ... I think it could have been arranged.

D2 NIL is obviously going to be very small potatoes compared to D1. But, it's already started.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X