Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iup basketball

IUPBigIndians----who were the starting five for both the IUP men and women? Any idea?

Comment

SYR 83 IUP 65
      Final

Comment

IUP started Dante, Hutton, Cottrell, Glover and Cobo.

Danielak and Miller rotated in and out most of game. Spain didn't dress. Huff played last 3-4 minutes.

Comment

All in all it was a good start. Syracuse post players are NBA size. Giants with obvious D1 elite skill sets. They won't see anything like that again past this Saturday.

IUP had one real cold stretch shooting and the press caused some fits. At times they broke it very well.

Dante really looked like a D1 point guard ... very poised and under control. He played very well against all their blue chips. Cobo had a nice game. Danielak was in double digits. Glover had around 15 points.

Miller had 11 as a true freshman making his debut in the Carrier. Pretty impressive. I know there was redshirt talk. I don't think that's going to be the case.

Cottrell had 7-footers at every turn. He battled.

Hutton was a bit of a mystery. He played a lot but you didn't hear his name a whole lot.

I tell you what, though, Syracuse was playing seriously. They pressed probably 75 percent of game and didn't empty the bench to the walk-ons. They played 10 guys in rotation all night. It even got a little chippy. I don't think they liked getting punched in the first 12-13 minutes.

Very positive start. Spain plays they probably keep it slightly closer. They could have used his speed.

Syracuse is going to be awfully good this year.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-01-2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

As it came out last night and was confirmed in the Gazette today, Brandon Spain injured his ankle in practice Monday. He was on crutches last night. Not a good sign. The extent wasn't disclosed.

Tony's article also stated CJ 'left the team' on his own accord.

So ... that makes it pretty clear Miller isn't taking a red-shirt. He played pretty well last night.

One good thing from watching the game is Spain seemed to be moving around OK on the bench. Hopefully it's just a week or so. He didn't appear to have a cast on or anything.

I think they only dressed 10 guys last night. Bearer, I believe, was the only dressed player not to play.

I'm curious is Bearer had no plans of playing this year (as he wasn't on the roster) and when CJ quit they asked him back.

Looks like a lonely bench this year.

Comment

IUP definitely acquitted themselves quite well last night, but I'm still more guarded in my optimism than I usually am headed into the season. There are several good individual pieces but a lot of questions in my mind. Who takes charge when the chips are down and wants the big shot? How do they not get mauled inside when Cottrell is out of the game? It's going to take time for guys to grow into their roles and we found out last year dropping too many games early can be fatal to your NCAA hopes.

Comment

Another late addition: Jake Rouse ... listed as 6'7 Freshman Forward

Comment

I really hate to sound like I'm griping all the time----BUT would it really be asking that much for the IUP MBB and WBB teams to actually put up pictures on their rosters? I mean the season is nearly here and some fans would like to see what is going on as they anticipate the opening tips.

Comment

I think they are waiting until they know who is actually on the roster since it changes every other day. LOL.

They've probably had 4-5 re-shoots so far.

Comment

The manner in which Marse Joe's IUP teams routinely go up against these D-I heavies all the time I have to say that it's amazing that he hasn't already caught the attention of ADs across the land. He'd be a great D-I coach. Pitt should've grabbed him.

I won't even comment any further on the inability to get the pics posted. No small wonder that I am always holding my head every time I step on campus. If I was prez down there I would carry a rolled up copy of The Penn all the time to put over peoples heads.

#PassTheAspirin

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                        The manner in which Marse Joe's IUP teams routinely go up against these D-I heavies all the time I have to say that it's amazing that he hasn't already caught the attention of ADs across the land. He'd be a great D-I coach. Pitt should've grabbed him.

I won't even comment any further on the inability to get the pics posted. No small wonder that I am always holding my head every time I step on campus. If I was prez down there I would carry a rolled up copy of The Penn all the time to put over peoples heads.

#PassTheAspirin
                        With Joe's success and connections in the D1 world I have to believe there has been some interest from D1 programs, things probably just never progressed to a level where anybody caught wind of it to make it public. I'm sure they were lower level D1s. The jump straight from D2 to a power conference just doesn't happen. Pitt fans would've rioted if they had hired Joe.

Comment

The job I've always considered an option for him is at Duquesne. They are going to stink again this year (picked 13 out of 14 in Atlantic 10 Coaches' Poll).

That guy has been there several years now and isn't making any headway. This past year I think he just threw up a Hail Mary with taking all these grad transfers.

BUT ... Throw in the Dante factor and Joe's age (not too old but by no means young) ... I can't see him leaving. It would also (very likely) be for a total rebuild (Duquesne or similar).

Joe's the big fish in town now. He's paid very well for Indiana standards and I think he likes the small-town celebrity status. He plays the part well.

His name will keep making lists. That's a given. But, guys like him and Crutch have it made where they are now.

IUP is always going to win in basketball. It has the money, facilities, a big campus full of attractive co-eds, high coaching salary (to always attract great candidates), etc. WL will be interesting when Crutch retires. That's not exactly an easy place to sell to recruits if the winning goes away.

Duquesne, Robert Morris .. those types ... he'd be nuts to take one of those jobs. You're basically set up to fail. That's why I kept saying Toole should have got out of dodge while he was hot. One of the Syracuse players even said after the game IUP would beat a ton of mid-major teams. I believe that statement.

I know IUP has tried to play Duquesne in hoops for years with no luck. Shocker: The Dukes are playing Mansfield instead. IUP is a better job than Duquesne in my opinion (and on many years perhaps a better team).

Could he coach at the next level? Not a doubt in my mind.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-04-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            The job I've always considered an option for him is at Duquesne. They are going to stink again this year (picked 13 out of 14 in Atlantic 10 Coaches' Poll).

That guy has been there several years now and isn't making any headway. This past year I think he just threw up a Hail Mary with taking all these grad transfers.

BUT ... Throw in the Dante factor and Joe's age (not too old but by no means young) ... I can't see him leaving. It would also (very likely) be for a total rebuild (Duquesne or similar).

Joe's the big fish in town now. He's paid very well for Indiana standards and I think he likes the small-town celebrity status. He plays the part well.

His name will keep making lists. That's a given. But, guys like him and Crutch have it made where they are now.

IUP is always going to win in basketball. It has the money, facilities, a big campus full of attractive co-eds, high coaching salary (to always attract great candidates), etc. WL will be interesting when Crutch retires. That's not exactly an easy place to sell to recruits if the winning goes away.

Duquesne, Robert Morris .. those types ... he'd be nuts to take one of those jobs. You're basically set up to fail. That's why I kept saying Toole should have got out of dodge while he was hot. One of the Syracuse players even said after the game IUP would beat a ton of mid-major teams. I believe that statement.

I know IUP has tried to play Duquesne in hoops for years with no luck. Shocker: The Dukes are playing Mansfield instead. IUP is a better job than Duquesne in my opinion (and on many years perhaps a better team).

Could he coach at the next level? Not a doubt in my mind.
                            I wouldn't go anywhere near Duquesne if I were Joe. I think returning to one of his old stomping grounds like St Bonny or Lasalle would make more sense. Those places have at least won a little in recent years. Even a MAC school would do well to give him a look.

But yeah, he has a good thing here and taking a lower level D1 job is a huge gamble (just ask Kurt Kanaskie and Cindy Martin). I absolutely wouldn't begrudge him if he wanted to give a try though and he is more than qualified.

Comment

So what's the story with this IUP-Lincoln game next Friday night at Memorial Field House? Worth seeing? Lincoln any good?

Comment

Hard to say. They have a new coach and many new players. They were picked near bottom in their coaches' poll but that doesn't mean much.

They will be athletic and have some nice size. That's about all I can tell you. Urbana, the following night, has played here the past couple years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X