Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Big one in Erie tonight. Las Vegas, if it actually carried D2 lines, wouldn't want to touch this one.

For starters, there's the Malik Miller injury. I've heard this morning he's doubtful. He missed the first Gannon game 9 days ago and also the Slippery Rock and UPJ meetings. IUP was able to survive against GU and SRU with the 6-man rotation because they were able to stay out of foul trouble. Against UPJ ... complete opposite. Dante Lombardi picked up 3 quick fouls and was able to play just 22 minutes in the loss. That was the difference in the game as previously discussed. With Dante on the bench IUP really only had two scoring options on the floor. UPJ knew it and wisely took advantage of it. Look at the scoring runs in that game with Dante and without Dante. Pretty amazing numbers.

Lombardi had a mixed bag in the first Gannon game. He had 10 assists but also 7 turnovers -- and didn't shoot too good (2-10 and 0-3 from deep). He did log 37 minutes, however. In this situation, just having him on the floor (with his range) has to keep defenses honest. With him on the bench, UPJ was able to focus on Cobo and Glover too much. UPJ had two games worth of tape to observe the 'new look' (short-handed) IUP team.

One interesting item tonight will be watching how Gannon adjusts its defense. IUP shredded the Knights from deep -- hitting 12 of 25 treys on numerous 'wide open' looks. That's not likely to happen twice under John Reilly. Willem wasn't too hot against Gannon -- finishing with 5 boards and 3 points and a few turnovers. That has to improve tonight. Blake Danielak and Ayron Hutton chipped in 4 big treys in that game. For IUP to have a shot tonight, those two need to combine for 12-15 points. Cobo and Glover will get their points. Somebody else has to step up.

This is also Gannon's fourth game in 12 days -- including an emotional, physical game 48 hours ago at Edinboro. That's a heavy load this time of the year. IUP was off this weekend -- not always a good thing but based on the circumstances they needed the break.

The UPJ loss also kept the door open a bit in the West race. IUP enters with a 3-game lead but it's not wrapped up yet. Gannon has the toughest path to end the season -- IUP, Mercyhurst and Slippery Rock. IUP has won five straight in the series.

No prediction on this one. Whichever team wins ... likely wins by less than 5 points.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-12-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Any IUP supporters on this thread heading to Erie today? Weather is cold, but no snow is in the offing and the roads are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
        Any IUP supporters on this thread heading to Erie today? Weather is cold, but no snow is in the offing and the roads are fine.

I wish ... I'll be tuned in from the Windy City ... laptop to the TV.

I always love the look people give when you say you'll be skipping dinner ... IUP game on the live feed. Priceless. They always think I'm kidding.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          I wish ... I'll be tuned in from the Windy City ... laptop to the TV.

I always love the look people give when you say you'll be skipping dinner ... IUP game on the live feed. Priceless. They always think I'm kidding.

Comment

Hopefully you don't get that crew who did the Edinboro-Gannon or Edinboro-Mercyhurst games. A lot of delayed calls or conferences to change calls. They don't like coaches who question their calls either. That won't bode well for Joe.

Comment

A ticky-tack crew could spell doom for Bravado Joe's team.

I have to expect IUP to play zone 75-80% of the game. In theory, anyway, they should pick up less fouls as opposed to playing man. They can't press, either. It takes too much energy.

It's a tough way to grind through the stretch run.

Take a look at those updated Atlantic Region records ... this is a pretty big game -- on a lot of levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                I'll make my mile trip. GO IUP!!!

Comment

The amount of layups the IUP women's team misses is mind-boggling. They also push far too many out-of-control drives to the bucket. They are lucky that deep ball bails them out so much.

Comment

Tom cleaned things up at the half. IUP up 30 with two minutes left (was up 5 at half).

Comment

• There used to be a Gannon fan that would paint his face and wear a fedora to games. I believe he posted on here as well. What ever happened to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Comment

Unless he has some magic beans in this timeout ... they are going to get blown out.

Comment

Long game. GU won't shoot that well all night.

Comment

• Comment

• Dante is killing this team in this half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X