Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iup basketball

Following on live stats it looked like just about everybody was in double figures for IUP.

On a less positive note the Kevin Stallings era got off to a near disastrous start as Pitt needed 2 ot to beat Eastern Michigan 93-90

Comment

As far as opening nights go ....

Not bad. Not great.

The good:
      The inside game is back. Cobo, Danielak and Cottrell dominated the glass. Danielak had 18 and some big treys. Cottrell looked like a guy who has been around the block. He had a big night at both ends. They just cleaned the glass against a much bigger team.

Malik Miller will be a complete star. There's no way Joe can keep his minutes down. He's special.

Glover and Spain were solid. Huff is a nice looking player. He's a big 6'5" ... has a muscular build. His minutes will increase soon.

The bad:
      Very sloppy at times. Some much more than others. Dante had a very off night. He got 14 points but had 6 TO to 1 assist and shot a rough percentage. He's still trying to be Allen Iverson and playing too out of control.

In all reality, this is a team they should have blown out of the gym.

Lincoln has a nice looking team. They will get better as the year moves along. As for the comment about the second half ... IUP really slowed down and emptied the bench. But, they did look much better after the break.

The Lions had a tremendous amount of fouls. They really struggled with the ball movement. They went hack a shaq in the first half. They were very wreckless and out of control in the first half. I agree an exhibition would have helped a lot.

They will look better tomorrow night. The big guy just fouled out basically immediately. He got his third foul like 3 minutes in to game. He's big but pretty raw. IUP has really solid bigs -- two of which shoot the trey. They had trouble covering them on the perimeter.

Urbana beat UPJ. They were actually blowing them out for a bit.

All in all a good start. Fun team to watch. Lots of action and they play fast. They also got almost 1,600 in the Field House. Not bad. NOT great. It's still funny how 1,600 in the Field House is louder than 3,500 in the KCAC.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Your big man fouled out in 6 minutes of play.
        Wow! That's crazy!

Comment

IUP beats Urbana ... about 20 or so. They got some trash trey balls at the end to tighten it.

After two games ...

Joe has to make the change. Spain needs to start. Miller is the first sub. Dante plays but off the bench. Spain is just the better player right now.

Not an attack. I just think that's the best path. Miller plays much more controlled.

Cottrell, btw, is hurt. He didn't play the second half and limped through warm-ups after the break. Hopefully just a precaution.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-13-2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I really didn't think Malik would play this year but he's been a pleasant surprise. Still a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

Bowie lost to Fairmont, 100-97, last night.

Tuesday is going to be a tough one. No word on Cottrell yet but I'd be surprised if he plays.

Comment

IUP women 0-2 .... may be a 10-20 type year.

Hard to beleive program in this state.

Comment

IUP beats Urbana ... about 20 or so. They got some trash trey balls at the end to tighten it.

After two games ...

Joe has to make the change. Spain needs to start. Miller is the first sub. Dante plays but off the bench. Spain is just the better player right now.

Not an attack. I just think that's the best path. Miller plays much more controlled.

Cottrell, btw, is hurt. He didn't play the second half and limped through warm-ups after the break. Hopefully just a precaution.
                  Not sure I follow you here. Are you saying to remove Dante from the starting five? Granted I didn't see the games but sounded like Dante had quite a stat line with something like 14 points, 4 assists, 4 boards, and ZERO turnovers. That sounds pretty good to me to be honest. Or maybe I misunderstood you here?

Comment

IUP women 0-2 .... may be a 10-20 type year.

Hard to beleive program in this state.
                    You know....there were quite a few people over the past bunch of years who really did try their very best to support and promote the IUP WBB program and even PSAC WBB in general. It is just beyond disappointing that things have morphed into this. You have an absolutely fantastic facility like the KCAC and this is what you have? How many good players do you have? Smith and Appleby. Perhaps Wolosik. Maybe one or two others. Maybe not. Maybe the frosh class produces some talent. Maybe Griggs/D'Anna? Who knows?

But take a look at the current state of this program and just imagine what would happen to them if they had to play Z Tracey and her IUP teams that won three straight PSAC crowns. It would be ugly. Massacre City!
                    Exactly how does anyone expect this current team to compete with what Cal has? Cal is tough and nasty and we're being led by someone who seems better suited to run a monastery. We need tough and nasty! And better players.

It's just frustrating to realize how many opportunities that were missed to take this program to a higher level. I think it could have been done. Or maybe the funding just isn't good enough. I recall Jeff Dow saying they were at 6.2 scholies a few years back. Maybe there is a big gap between what Cal has and what IUP has.

The season's early and the team is young----maybe they still get it together.

-
                    Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 11-14-2016, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Or maybe they just didn't realize a good thing when they had it. Now that dows recruits are gone and it seems that his entire staff has moved into better situations. Dow is a D-1 head coach and Dave Saur is his recruiting coordinator now so look for them to take off over next few years. Jerod Alltop dows assistant is now at wheeling Jesuit and has helped that program go from the bottom to the top over the last 4 years! Also noticed that they picked up mo burns from iup who dropped 21 her first two games at Jesuit. Do I think iup messed up... oh yeah.. and now there paying for it. No way should they lose to teams they lost to this weekend. They'll still win 15 games or so probably but that's not good. Tom has had plenty of time to prove himself!

Comment

Originally posted by IUP1984 View Post
                        Or maybe they just didn't realize a good thing when they had it. Now that dows recruits are gone and it seems that his entire staff has moved into better situations. Dow is a D-1 head coach and Dave Saur is his recruiting coordinator now so look for them to take off over next few years. Jerod Alltop dows assistant is now at wheeling Jesuit and has helped that program go from the bottom to the top over the last 4 years! Also noticed that they picked up mo burns from iup who dropped 21 her first two games at Jesuit. Do I think iup messed up... oh yeah.. and now there paying for it. No way should they lose to teams they lost to this weekend. They'll still win 15 games or so probably but that's not good. Tom has had plenty of time to prove himself!
                        I surfed through Coach Dow's UL-M roster a week or two ago. It looks like he has things on the upswing down there. I would love to attend a game if not such a great distance.

His IUP recruiting classes of 2009 & 2011 were actually very good. I also feel that the manner of his dismissal still looms over the program. Maybe they even lost program funding from disgruntled booster-types.

Yeah, they lost the dynamic Mo Burns and the other player (name?-- Livingston??). Maybe they weren't good Catholics or something. LOL.

I'm sure Tom is a wonderful man. It's just hard to see where he is going with things sometimes. I'm curious to see how his freshmen class does. Time will tell.

Comment

Dow was probably the coach to take them to the top. I don't know the whole story. Doesn't really matter now. I know there are some different versions. He's gone. That's the lone factual item.

Burns, as I posted over and over last year, was a MAJOR loss. She was Tom's best recruit of his tenure. The Livingston girl was also a big loss two years ago. Both would have been starting for IUP this year rather than for Wheeling and Lock Haven.

Tom's a good man and I do think he's a good coach. The recruiting seems to be the challenge so far. With the resources available and the facility, the program should be an easy sell. The fact this is looking to be a total rebuilding year this deep in to his tenure is a big issue.

Maybe it was just a bad weekend but I think there are some legitimate doubts right now.

That should be a Regional-level program every year.

Comment

IUP 80
                            Bowie 67

Final

Cobo with 22 pts and 16 boards

Comment

It was almost Deja Bowie.

IUP stormed out much like a year ago ... up so many as 15 or 17.

Six minutes to go IUP was up a point with no momentum.

Three straight big plays by Glover, Danielak and Cobo spread it back out.

Very exciting game ... as every Bowie game ends up being.

All honesty they lose this game a year ago (I know they did). This team just has more balance than a year ago. It was one of Joe's better coaching nights. Incredible ball movement.

They only dressed 9 players (8 played). I still don't know how that's possible being fully funded (or awfully close). No Cottrell.

Bowie is strange. They did the same thing a year ago. They drop back on defense the whole first half. Then they come out all superman press in second half and stage these giant comebacks (did same against Fairmont 3 days ago). I don't know why they don't do the 40 minutes of Hell. They have the athletes.

Pretty clean game. Spain had some incredible moments and some blunders. Dante solid. Glover had 19 points (and some real clutch ones).

Hutton shifted to the small forward and Cobo played a hybrid center. Danielak got in foul trouble in first half but made two clutch treys.

Cobo is likely an All-American candidate. Amazing he's a true sophomore.

No hurry to see Bowie again.

Comment

IUP 80
                                Bowie 67

Final

Cobo with 22 pts and 16 boards
                                Cobo!!!

Great win for IUP. What's your take on Danielak? The real deal?

How many all-conference types does IUP have?

Sounds like Joe had his bravado going full sail.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X