X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Cal's bigs (Hall and Lucas) are basically big guards. That really helped them shred Gannon. Ethan is not meant for that speed, obviously.
    Millersville has nice size as well. The team that played most of the minutes at Ship went 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, 6-6, and 6-8. And these are not scrawny guys. All the guards weigh in at the 190- to 200-pound range, Matt Dade is 215, and their big guy, Stover, is 245. They just overpowered Ship in the second half. Dade is listed as a forward, but is really more of a swingman. Their guards had height and about 30 pounds of weight advantage over most of the Ship guards.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

If IUP can stay out of foul trouble, I'd give them a good shot. The Radford guy seems to be able to hit open 3s, which he should get on occasion against Gannon, and Clarke is the type of player who could give them problems. It might be problematic for Porterfield to keep up that kind of pace for 40 minutes, so I'd say they'll have to get something off the bench.
    Cal's bigs (Hall and Lucas) are basically big guards. That really helped them shred Gannon. Ethan is not meant for that speed, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

They can’t try and slow things to a snail’s pace like they did against West Liberty last year. You have to attack when the opportunities are there. I can’t imagine they can do that for 40 minutes only bringing Petteno and KJ off the bench, so let’s hope Joe doesn’t try. I think Garvin could have a huge day in a game like this.
    If IUP can stay out of foul trouble, I'd give them a good shot. The Radford guy seems to be able to hit open 3s, which he should get on occasion against Gannon, and Clarke is the type of player who could give them problems. It might be problematic for Porterfield to keep up that kind of pace for 40 minutes, so I'd say they'll have to get something off the bench.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Tomorrows game at Gannon will be interesting. a few people mentioned not being convinced Gannon is that good. Cal beat them pretty easily with a short bench. Millersville also won easily. "The System" gives you gaudy offensive stats, runs the score's up against weaker teams. But the IUP bench will have to contribute. Maybe someone like Lambert might thrive against the system ? Or maybe IUP gets in another shooting funk and gets crushed - the system is good for exploiting cold spells. we'll see
    They can’t try and slow things to a snail’s pace like they did against West Liberty last year. You have to attack when the opportunities are there. I can’t imagine they can do that for 40 minutes only bringing Petteno and KJ off the bench, so let’s hope Joe doesn’t try. I think Garvin could have a huge day in a game like this.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

You need some context to the obituary.

Nobody even remotely thought of Bryce Radford. He was a real key addition as it turns out (14 treys in last two games). Remember, back in November he was working a full-time job and retired from basketball.

Add to it, the mini-miracle of Garvin Clarke winning his NCAA appeal and returning last night. He's a beast on both ends.

​​​​​​Like we said earlier, their starting five can probably hang with anybody (even without Dallis Dillard). Garvin is an elite PG and slasher. Bryce can launch from Row 7, which in turn has opened the floor. Jaylen Stewart now has a green light and can slash or launch. Porterfield is Porterfield. And, Damir Brooks can do some heavy damage in his muscle / garbage man role.

Those five are more than adequate - and a very tough match-up. Great blend of players and skill sets to go along with size.

IUP's bench, however, is an utter disaster. Obviously, Dillard tore his ACL and is out for the season. What's left is a hodge-podge of largely unproductive players.

Bench:

Josh Petteno - Joe's alleged big signing ... He hustles but just isn't giving them anything on offense. He was benched the entire second half the past two games.

Jordan Lambert - Some games he plays a lot and others not at all. He's a spark and a good shooter but is very raw on defense. True freshman walk-on. He didn't play at all last night.

Dolan Waldo - Former hyped recruit ... largely in Joe's doghouse all year. Plays very little. He should play more. He didn't play at all last night. He's 6'7", athletic and can shoot.

KJ Rhodes - This is well-documented. Good guy and good teammate, but his productivity is very limited.

Sark Furton - True freshman PG ... He got some run early but has vanished the past month.

Callum MacNamara - Deep bench reserve forward (walk-on) who rarely plays. Big, physical player but at best a deep bench role. Also, he is currently injured and has missed the last two games.

Unavailable/Injured: Dillard, Kasabele, Romero-Sanz, Watson

So, you can do the math here pretty quickly. If Joe has to go to the bench he's in trouble. Of course, those guys can't develop if he never plays them.

With adding Radford and getting Clarke back, they are a pretty good, scrappy team. Not great. Good.
    Well, obviously getting Clarke back changes the game considerably as it was initially reported that he likely was out for the season. (What was the deal there? That whole episode seems a little weird.) Same with Radford. Hey, it's been mostly IUP guys talking down IUP. I'm sure several of the teams IUP has beaten this season would love to have your issues.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Nobody even remotely thought of Bryce Radford. He was a real key addition as it turns out (14 treys in last two games). Remember, back in November he was working a full-time job and retired from basketball.

Add to it, the mini-miracle of Garvin Clarke winning his NCAA appeal and returning last night. He's a beast on both ends.

​​​​​​Like we said earlier, their starting five can probably hang with anybody (even without Dallis Dillard). Garvin is an elite PG and slasher. Bryce can launch from Row 7, which in turn has opened the floor. Jaylen Stewart now has a green light and can slash or launch. Porterfield is Porterfield. And, Damir Brooks can do some heavy damage in his muscle / garbage man role.

Those five are more than adequate - and a very tough match-up. Great blend of players and skill sets to go along with size.

IUP's bench, however, is an utter disaster. Obviously, Dillard tore his ACL and is out for the season. What's left is a hodge-podge of largely unproductive players.

Bench:

Josh Petteno - Joe's alleged big signing ... He hustles but just isn't giving them anything on offense. He was benched the entire second half the past two games.

Jordan Lambert - Some games he plays a lot and others not at all. He's a spark and a good shooter but is very raw on defense. True freshman walk-on. He didn't play at all last night.

Dolan Waldo - Former hyped recruit ... largely in Joe's doghouse all year. Plays very little. He should play more. He didn't play at all last night. He's 6'7", athletic and can shoot.

KJ Rhodes - This is well-documented. Good guy and good teammate, but his productivity is very limited.

Sark Furton - True freshman PG ... He got some run early but has vanished the past month.

Callum MacNamara - Deep bench reserve forward (walk-on) who rarely plays. Big, physical player but at best a deep bench role. Also, he is currently injured and has missed the last two games.

So, you can do the math here pretty quickly. If Joe has to go to the bench he's in trouble. Of course, those guys can't develop if he never plays them.

With adding Radford and getting Clarke back, they are a pretty good, scrappy team. Not great. Good.
    Tomorrows game at Gannon will be interesting. a few people mentioned not being convinced Gannon is that good. Cal beat them pretty easily with a short bench. Millersville also won easily. "The System" gives you gaudy offensive stats, runs the score's up against weaker teams. But the IUP bench will have to contribute. Maybe someone like Lambert might thrive against the system ? Or maybe IUP gets in another shooting funk and gets crushed - the system is good for exploiting cold spells. we'll see

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Not a vintage IUP team with the losses and injuries, but some of the earlier posts I saw had basically written off this season. Looks as if reports of their death were greatlly exaggerated. Other than Gannon and Cal (and I'm not all that convinced about Gannon, which didn't do any better against Millersville than Shippensburg), I think IUP can handle anyone I've observed in the West. And they might steal a win from Cal if the Vulcans don't get some of their players back.

Bench:

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Good win, great to have Garvin back. If Radford is going to give them this kind of deep threat consistently and Stewart is becoming more of the guy I hoped he’d be when the season started, this is a more than capable starting five. The bench situation is still baffling to me as it seems to change game to game. But the chances they could salvage something decent out of this season certainly look better than they did at the end of 2023.
    Joe's starting five (with Garvin back) is very good. Spots 6-8, however, are a major problem.

This will get drastically exposed against Gannon and California.

But, they should be pretty competitive against the others.

I'd love to have one more guy (Dallis). Somebody on that bench has to step up.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Petteno is driving me nuts.

This is a guy who averaged 16 PPG in D2 last year. If they can get him some confidence and he could hit some shots, it would be a huge boost.

Stewart is playing great.
    Not a vintage IUP team with the losses and injuries, but some of the earlier posts I saw had basically written off this season. Looks as if reports of their death were greatlly exaggerated. Other than Gannon and Cal (and I'm not all that convinced about Gannon, which didn't do any better against Millersville than Shippensburg), I think IUP can handle anyone I've observed in the West. And they might steal a win from Cal if the Vulcans don't get some of their players back.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Good win, great to have Garvin back. If Radford is going to give them this kind of deep threat consistently and Stewart is becoming more of the guy I hoped he’d be when the season started, this is a more than capable starting five. The bench situation is still baffling to me as it seems to change game to game. But the chances they could salvage something decent out of this season certainly look better than they did at the end of 2023.
    Petteno is driving me nuts.

This is a guy who averaged 16 PPG in D2 last year. If they can get him some confidence and he could hit some shots, it would be a huge boost.

Stewart is playing great.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Thoughts:

1) They still need bench scoring!
    2) I wonder why Gary's team acted like KJ didn't exist when he was on the floor?
    3) Garvin wasn't sharp yesterday but I can't wait till he is again.
    4) Bryce being able to shoot has opened the floor for other things, just ask Stewey!
    5) Where's Waldo? He looked better his last couple opportunities. I say leak him in to keep giving him experience. He's got way more upside than KJ!
    Brooks was a monster atop that 1-2-2 press. He's awfully fast for a guy that big and strong.

Waldo remains a mystery.

No Lambert, either.

Garvin was a bit rusty but I doubt they win that game without him. He played tremendous on defense. He hadn't played in almost a month.

Ethan played a little pi$$ed off last night. Nice to see.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Thoughts:

1) They still need bench scoring!
    2) I wonder why Gary's team acted like KJ didn't exist when he was on the floor?
    3) Garvin wasn't sharp yesterday but I can't wait till he is again.
    4) Bryce being able to shoot has opened the floor for other things, just ask Stewey!
    5) Where's Waldo? He looked better his last couple opportunities. I say leak him in to keep giving him experience. He's got way more upside than KJ!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Looks like Bradley is leading the Horizon League in assists. Not sure why Ajayi left to go play 10 minutes a game at Bucknell, unless he really wanted that degree. They've lost a ton of firepower in the last three years- probably close to 6 or 7 all conference players. Normally I'd say it takes time to replace it, but what Gannon did last year has me questioning that belief.

Anyhow, if Radford plays like this the rest of the year, they still have a chance to do something. Like it was said above, Clarke and Radford's games complement each other really well. The region is down compared to the last couple years, I think there's enough to sneak into a bid if things break right.
    Losing Bradley was a big loss to that team although, he is stealing that extra Covid year this season so it's bonus time for him. Gary couldn't count on that. Pip might end up making the D2 return with the minimal PT he's getting at Bucknell. Ya, never know.

As far as Gary being fired up yesterday, I understand why, he's at that 8 loss threshold!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Looks like Bradley is leading the Horizon League in assists. Not sure why Ajayi left to go play 10 minutes a game at Bucknell, unless he really wanted that degree. They've lost a ton of firepower in the last three years- probably close to 6 or 7 all conference players. Normally I'd say it takes time to replace it, but what Gannon did last year has me questioning that belief.

Anyhow, if Radford plays like this the rest of the year, they still have a chance to do something. Like it was said above, Clarke and Radford's games complement each other really well. The region is down compared to the last couple years, I think there's enough to sneak into a bid if things break right.
    Radford hit (6) treys last night after hitting (8) in the previous game. Gary did everything possible to not let him shoot.

That was as fired up as I've seen him on the bench in years.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X