X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Joe told Tony they'd target two post players. First two offers are guards. Twitter Official.

As for Jelani Simmons ... Bryant (D1 offer) signed two guards yesterday so his spot may be gone. He has some big D2 offers aside from Redshirt Joe.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Joe told Tony they'd target two post players. First two offers are guards. Twitter Official.

As for Jelani Simmons ... Bryant (D1 offer) signed two guards yesterday so his spot may be gone. He has some big D2 offers aside from Redshirt Joe.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Jackson Faulk (Guard, West Allegheny) is headed for Joe's House.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Which likely means that 1-2 of the freshmen guards are gone. You know we can't play more than 7 in a game, right?
    I was thinking to get a guy like him ... somebody has to be sacrificed. The roster is pretty crowded right now.

As of today:

Guard: Armoni, Morris, White, Shawndale, Radford, KJ

Walk-on: Benton

The way this could work is if Shawndale stays in his role of SF/PF/G. He's obviously capable of playing all three positions.

Redshirt Joe may have to go a little cray next year and actually play 8 guys. Or, they could see this Simmons kid as taking Chucky's spot at (mostly) SF and some guard. Obviously the second part of this class will likely be an incoming true freshman who will redshirt.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Joe's not getting him if he's going to redshirt him. I can promise you that much.
    Which likely means that 1-2 of the freshmen guards are gone. You know we can't play more than 7 in a game, right?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What's the direct link to the IUP program for this guy?

The fact that he never took a redshirt tells me we he won't play until 2022.
    Joe's not getting him if he's going to redshirt him. I can promise you that much.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    IUP has offered 6'5" guard Jelani Simmons (formerly of Youngstown State). He also has offers from (among others) Saginaw Valley State, University of Indianapolis and Louisiana-Monroe. He is from Columbus, OH. If he goes D1, he'll have to sit a year. He'd have two years' eligibility at IUP.

There's a direct link between Simmons and the IUP program.

He had a very strong (true) freshman season at YSU -- finishing 5th in the Horizon League in 3-point percentage. Last year he made 10 starts and played in all 33 games.

We'll see what happens. It's interesting they'd target a transfer guard right now based on the returning roster. He also never took at redshirt at YSU ... so, there's that minor Joe factor.
    What's the direct link to the IUP program for this guy?

The fact that he never took a redshirt tells me we he won't play until 2022.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has offered 6'5" guard Jelani Simmons (formerly of Youngstown State). He also has offers from (among others) Saginaw Valley State, University of Indianapolis and Louisiana-Monroe. He is from Columbus, OH. If he goes D1, he'll have to sit a year. He'd have two years' eligibility at IUP.

There's a direct link between Simmons and the IUP program.

He had a very strong (true) freshman season at YSU -- finishing 5th in the Horizon League in 3-point percentage. Last year he made 10 starts and played in all 33 games.

We'll see what happens. It's interesting they'd target a transfer guard right now based on the returning roster. He also never took at redshirt at YSU ... so, there's that minor Joe factor.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 04-06-2020, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I went to the game. It was pretty close up until the end. Jeremy Jeffers had his best game at IUP ... he had 18-20 points and hit 4-5 treys. They got Daddy in foul trouble on some real cheap calls.

I also went the year SRU physically gave it to Pitt in the first half of a game. Jamie freaked on KR on the way to the locker room ... saying they were paying them to come here, etc. True story. That was one of those big muscle SRU teams and they really shoved Pitt around.
    Tell me more. Are you serious?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Oh, that asshat. I wasn't sitting far from him. Doubt he had much effect on the team. Ship actually had a better record on the road than at home this year. I'll give him credit for being extremely obnoxious, though.
    He was intense.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

IUP had an advantage in that game that wasn't noticeable on the live feed (I assume not anyway). We had a planted (extremely loud) heckler behind the Ship bench. No way they were used to a loud visiting crowd but especially not the loudest guy in the gym screaming at them all game. That dude went after Sleva and Talley relentlessly.

He kept screaming at Talley "Dominator ... why aren't you dominating." When the home team starts jawing back at the visiting crowd ... mission accomplished.

The Ship fans had security over like 14 times but he wasn't quite crossing the line to eject him.

Was it a coincidence he sat where he did .... not sure. But, I doubt it.

In the old days IUP used to seat the students directly behind the visiting bench. No idea why they stopped doing it.
    Oh, that asshat. I wasn't sitting far from him. Doubt he had much effect on the team. Ship actually had a better record on the road than at home this year. I'll give him credit for being extremely obnoxious, though.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I don't think I agree. It would have kept them within a couple of points instead of constantly digging out of double-digit deficits. You're playing a completely different style in a three- or four-point game than you are when you're scrambling to make up big deficits. And it wasn't only the front ends. They missed a bunch of others as well. All conjecture now anyway.
    IUP had an advantage in that game that wasn't noticeable on the live feed (I assume not anyway). We had a planted (extremely loud) heckler behind the Ship bench. No way they were used to a loud visiting crowd but especially not the loudest guy in the gym screaming at them all game. That dude went after Sleva and Talley relentlessly.

He kept screaming at Talley "Dominator ... why aren't you dominating." When the home team starts jawing back at the visiting crowd ... mission accomplished.

The Ship fans had security over like 14 times but he wasn't quite crossing the line to eject him.

Was it a coincidence he sat where he did .... not sure. But, I doubt it.

In the old days IUP used to seat the students directly behind the visiting bench. No idea why they stopped doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    I don't think I agree. It would have kept them within a couple of points instead of constantly digging out of double-digit deficits. You're playing a completely different style in a three- or four-point game than you are when you're scrambling to make up big deficits. And it wasn't only the front ends. They missed a bunch of others as well. All conjecture now anyway.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

He certainly deserved that award. His play, and Ship's sudden inability to hit free throws, were two keys to the game.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

My favorite part was Shawndale winning Tournament MVP as a non-starter. He's likely to be 6th man again next year although he'll obviously play heavy minutes. Good luck playing them next year. Although I'm having doubts there will be a next season.
    He certainly deserved that award. His play, and Ship's sudden inability to hit free throws, were two keys to the game.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X