X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Happy Mount Olive Day! It was 12 years ago today that the infamous Mount Olive affair went down as the IUP women lost in the opening round of the East Region . But I guess the 2020 region that never was will also live on in campus folklore as well.

-
    #mt-olive

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Happy Mount Olive Day! It was 12 years ago today that the infamous Mount Olive affair went down as the IUP women lost in the opening round of the East Region . But I guess the 2020 region that never was will also live on in campus folklore as well.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    It almost feels like they were considering the region to have 4 conferences (MEC, CIAA, PSAC West, & PSAC East), and it seemed like they felt the need to spread things around a bit. You can understanding their thinking there. But it does feel odd that Armoni didn't make the first team. It just feels like they forced a few things out of a supposed fairness as opposed to picking the actual top players in the region.
    Heath had a high PPG avg

Look a little closer at his numbers. Just sayin'

Biss and Armoni ... pretty close call there ... although Biss had a poor ending the last several games.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    It almost feels like they were considering the region to have 4 conferences (MEC, CIAA, PSAC West, & PSAC East), and it seemed like they felt the need to spread things around a bit. You can understanding their thinking there. But it does feel odd that Armoni didn't make the first team. It just feels like they forced a few things out of a supposed fairness as opposed to picking the actual top players in the region.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Also a defensible argument.

I was surprised to see Heath on the first team.
    No comment

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Armoni and Malik BOTH should be on First Team.
    Also a defensible argument.

I was surprised to see Heath on the first team.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Armoni and Malik BOTH should be on First Team.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    You could argue Armoni was IUP's MVP this year. His stats were actually basically the same as Malik (with less TOs).
    But again, given Senior status, you can argue for choosing Malik over Armoni. I'm just not sure why they didn't use the same reasoning to choose Malik over Bolon.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    You could argue Armoni was IUP's MVP this year. His stats were actually basically the same as Malik (with less TOs).

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    You guys are talking about where Malik fits on your All-IUP team. Meanwhile this: https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-the-year.aspx

If you ask me, your guy Malik got robbed. Bolon certainly had a nice season, and I didn't balk at his winning conference POY (although, NBA-wannabe Bledsoe did have a pretty dominant statistical year). But there's no way I saw Bolon as the top guy in the whole Region. If you'd have asked me last week who would win the Regional POY, I would have said Malik Miller in a heartbeat. I might have even said Biss was #2 before getting to Bolon.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love watching Bolon play and I appreciate the effort he puts out every night. But it just didn't seem like he had that dominant, opponents-plan-for-you kinda year this year. Definitely happy for him. But surprised the Senior Miller--who had to be neck-and-neck with him in voters' eyes--didn't get the nod.

But it's also entirely possible that I fail to appreciate what Bolon brings because I'm privileged to watch him every night out.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    You guys are talking about where Malik fits on your All-IUP team. Meanwhile this: https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-the-year.aspx

If you ask me, your guy Malik got robbed. Bolon certainly had a nice season, and I didn't balk at his winning conference POY (although, NBA-wannabe Bledsoe did have a pretty dominant statistical year). But there's no way I saw Bolon as the top guy in the whole Region. If you'd have asked me last week who would win the Regional POY, I would have said Malik Miller in a heartbeat. I might have even said Biss was #2 before getting to Bolon.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love watching Bolon play and I appreciate the effort he puts out every night. But it just didn't seem like he had that dominant, opponents-plan-for-you kinda year this year. Definitely happy for him. But surprised the Senior Miller--who had to be neck-and-neck with him in voters' eyes--didn't get the nod.

But it's also entirely possible that I fail to appreciate what Bolon brings because I'm privileged to watch him every night out.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Been busy....but still lurking...but obviously not posting much...Now I have some time on my hands, don't we all..... Message boards are good for social distancing...

Good points about those 4 players...so you still putting Malik in your top 5? not arguing, just curious how you rate...

May be before your era, but if you look at single seasons or some delineation, Paul Newman scored 1000 points in 2 seasons....early 90's

My 'first team' would have (7) players (as that's the new trend in such things). These are mainly single season, eye test, etc. (not career stats)

Rodney Horton
    Dennis Mimms
    Misenko
    Webb
    Jacobo Diaz
    Malik Miller
    DeVante Chance

"Sixth Men" - Ashton Smith, Brandon Norfleet, Mike Beckles, Mathis Keita, Marcel Souberbielle, Steve Menifee, DeWayne Anthony

When it's all said and done, Armoni Foster may be better than all of them.

If you get in to 'career' ... that's more difficult. For instance, DeVante Chance really didn't become the DeVante that we remember until about half way through his Junior season.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Right. This won't be the last time that a new virus emerges and there's a pandemic. They've happened before. It's happening now. And it will happen again. All of what's going on now sets a scary precedent. That said, none of us will think about sports if somebody we know, or if we personally contract the virus. But I'll add, the crowd saying, "it's just sports" is blindly off base.

For many, sports is their livelihood - and I'm not talking about the athletes making millions of dollars. Ushers, ticket takers, vendors, etc... Their income is now gone indefinitely. The restaurants, bars, other establishments outside sporting venues are going to be hit incredibly hard by this. The owners of these businesses rely on the fans coming to their establishment to make their money, to pay their employees, and to feed their own families. The waiters, waitresses, and bartenders at these places make their money primarily from tips. People aren't coming anymore. They are losing their income.

Think about the NCAA Tournament. A city like Albany isn't a massive metropolis. Them getting to host the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament was a big deal. Think of the money that comes into those hotels and other establishments around the city because you have fans from 4-8 teams in your city for 4 days. That destroys their economy.

Then you think of the players. I think we're all too blinded by "big time" college athletics. Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, etc... At the Division 1 level, imagine being a kid who played for Dayton or San Diego State. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Paul Zeise spoke at length about this last night. His daughter is a junior basketball player at Stony Brook. They were 28-3 and set to play Maine in the America East championship for the right to go to the NCAA Tournament tonight. He talked about how devastated she was. She may never get that chance again. It's sad for all of those players, but it was a decision that needed to happen.

I think there's a couple of things that people are going to realize here....

1) I don't think people quite realize how much of a driver sports really is to the economy of our country. I think the "it's just sports" crowd will realize that.

2) I think for sports fans, we'll realize just how much we really live our lives around sports.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

I guess you'd have different categories based on how long a player was here. If you go by single seasons ... Rodney Horton and Dennis Mimms are on every list. Everybody on these lists also always forgets about Mike Beckles and Steve Menifee.

BTW, where the hell have you been?
    Been busy....but still lurking...but obviously not posting much...Now I have some time on my hands, don't we all..... Message boards are good for social distancing...

Good points about those 4 players...so you still putting Malik in your top 5? not arguing, just curious how you rate...

May be before your era, but if you look at single seasons or some delineation, Paul Newman scored 1000 points in 2 seasons....early 90's

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X