X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It was a great local crowd. The student body was nowhere to be found minus a couple rows in 113.
    In my experience, when it isn't SRU, Gannon, or Mercyhurst, it was always tough to draw both. All things considered, they've done remarkable with attendance this year. Most students, and by that I mean 99%, don't have a clue about what is going on in the region, etc. They really didn't recognize how big of a game that was on many levels. They see Pitt-Johnstown, and they say, "I really don't care. I didn't know UPJ even had a team." They're going to weigh going out the last weekend before spring break or going to a game against a school they don't care about. That said, I would bet the bars were packed last night.

Students get in for free. The advertising that I saw all week told me they were focused more on getting locals to the game. For me and some of my buddies.... We toasted again last night. Our attendance record remains.

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied

It was officially 2,493.

It looked much fuller but the posted number is the number.

Saying the word 'only' and having 2,493 is a great problem to have in D2. Consider that was a full five times more than what was in Angelo's Dome yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Only 2400.

what happened?
    It was officially 2,493.

It looked much fuller but the posted number is the number.

Saying the word 'only' and having 2,493 is a great problem to have in D2. Consider that was a full five times more than what was in Angelo's Dome yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Only 2400.

what happened?
    It was a great local crowd. The student body was nowhere to be found minus a couple rows in 113.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    All remaining tickets tonight are on sale for $3.

For you math people thats one heck of a discount (by KCAC standards). Fan Appreciation Night. Some concessions are reduced, too. You'll still be paying $9 for that 12 oz. Coors (plus tip). Can't win 'em all.

They are going for the record crowd tonight. IUP will need a juiced up venue. UPJ is coming here to win. Very important game for both teams. It should be a fantastic atmosphere and game.
    Only 2400.

what happened?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Once again the KCAC crowd terrorized UPJ. They are the easiest team to take out of their game I've ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Another long ride home to Johnstown. That final score was nowhere near the game. Bunch of treys in the last two minutes.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Gary Edwards wrote a great column last week sharing his thoughts on the 'transfer portal' and how it's become all the rage in college basketball. This past summer his best returning player asked to be put in the portal ... 'to test the D1 waters'. The day before fall classes started he left -- leaving Edwards high and dry.

My personal opinion is the portal is going to ruin D2 basketball -- in particular for the average and weak programs. It's too easy to leave now. If the big schools pass you ... go to a Clarion or Seton Hill for a year and then bolt.

My guess is there will be a lot of the better players in the PSAC who currently reside on lesser teams looking for new homes in the very near future (as in next week). Seton Hill could get gutted. They have a couple nice freshmen. The big guy from Ligonier Valley would be attractive to most schools. The guard from the DMV. Same with Clarion.

I think this is going to make the poor teams a feeder system for the wealthy -- almost a developmental league within the league.
    But let's not forget that Gary's starting lineup/rotation during his tenure at IUP was made up of probably something like 75% of transfers that be brought in from other schools.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

For you math people thats one heck of a discount (by KCAC standards). Fan Appreciation Night. Some concessions are reduced, too. You'll still be paying $9 for that 12 oz. Coors (plus tip). Can't win 'em all.

They are going for the record crowd tonight. IUP will need a juiced up venue. UPJ is coming here to win. Very important game for both teams. It should be a fantastic atmosphere and game.
    I still remember the time that I changed my name to Big Coors Light!

Looks like the IUP lasses won on this evening. Looks like they're stylin' thus far for that one seed to host the region. Stay tuned....

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    The KCAC's favorite little whiney gal visits in 48 hours. Looking forward to it.

Ever seen Josh Wise blow up and shoot bricks? Tune in Saturday night.
    I'm sure he'll be in foul trouble too.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The KCAC's favorite little whiney gal visits in 48 hours. Looking forward to it.

Ever seen Josh Wise blow up and shoot bricks? Tune in Saturday night.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

There are two things that drive me nuts about Joe.

1) The redshirting of transfers when they are needed.
    2) Playing all the starters when the game is well in hand. EMPTY THE BENCH!!! KEEP EVERY HEALTHY AND FRESH!!!
    When it's all said and done, I think Joe will look back on how the Demo injury was handled and have deep regrets about it. Recall the day after they lost Demo ... they showed back up and blew East Stroudsburg out of the KCAC.

It was early enough in the season that activating one or both of the redshirts only would have cost them 4 games. I honestly think based on some comments Joe made at the time that he thought the season was kind of lost. And, then, of course, everything changed. Ethan Porterfield became a man seemingly overnight. Chucky's increased role saw big gains. Anthony White played like 2 minutes in the first 4 games and then instantly became a huge bench asset from the moment he was given an actual chance -- scoring 18 points against ESU in his debut. I think everybody around knew Anthony White could start for about 90% of teams in the PSAC -- yet he wasn't being given a true shot.

I know they went 'all in' last year -- and that was supposed to be his big team. Problem was, it wasn't. It had holes. This team has tremendously better overall guard play. This team is much better defensively -- and offensively. For being much smaller in size, this team rebounds much better and has night-and-day faster team speed. This team, right now, is Joe's highest-scoring team of his era. They are also giving up in the low- to mid-60s per game on defense -- an incredible number.

You can't play 'what if' now ... but, man, it'd make me feel a lot better to have just one more guy on the bench. And, for the crowd thinking the 6'10", 245 lb (ripped) Ousmane Diop must be some sort of 'project' player ... he's not. He's ready. In fact, those close to the program say he's a Day 1 starter in 2020-21 along with Ethan, Demo, Morris and Armoni. Imagine that post ... wow.

I don't know how far this group will go ... but if they stay healthy it's a scary bunch to play.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I get Joe only dresses 9 guys. But, that's his choice. Playing your stars up 50 with 10 minutes to go is just ridiculous -- and playing with major fire. Need I remind anybody of the Goon Fest in Greensburg a couple years ago ... when Dante left with a broken wrist and Glover was suspended (and a season ruined)?

Let Glover, Benton and Ulrich play the final 10 minutes. There are no style points. You may need one of those three anyway in a big moment. Get them some actual game run.

Man ... watching Armoni and Malik drive the hole in to traffic up that many points ... drives me nuts. Not worth the risk.
    There are two things that drive me nuts about Joe.

1) The redshirting of transfers when they are needed.
    2) Playing all the starters when the game is well in hand. EMPTY THE BENCH!!! KEEP EVERY HEALTHY AND FRESH!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X