X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Would those stronger teams have the clout to kill any thoughts of reinstituting the old rules limiting transferring within the conference ?
    I doubt it. They are the beneficiary.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Gary Edwards wrote a great column last week sharing his thoughts on the 'transfer portal' and how it's become all the rage in college basketball. This past summer his best returning player asked to be put in the portal ... 'to test the D1 waters'. The day before fall classes started he left -- leaving Edwards high and dry.

My personal opinion is the portal is going to ruin D2 basketball -- in particular for the average and weak programs. It's too easy to leave now. If the big schools pass you ... go to a Clarion or Seton Hill for a year and then bolt.

My guess is there will be a lot of the better players in the PSAC who currently reside on lesser teams looking for new homes in the very near future (as in next week). Seton Hill could get gutted. They have a couple nice freshmen. The big guy from Ligonier Valley would be attractive to most schools. The guard from the DMV. Same with Clarion.

I think this is going to make the poor teams a feeder system for the wealthy -- almost a developmental league within the league.
    Would those stronger teams have the clout to kill any thoughts of reinstituting the old rules limiting transferring within the conference ?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Gary Edwards wrote a great column last week sharing his thoughts on the 'transfer portal' and how it's become all the rage in college basketball. This past summer his best returning player asked to be put in the portal ... 'to test the D1 waters'. The day before fall classes started he left -- leaving Edwards high and dry.

My personal opinion is the portal is going to ruin D2 basketball -- in particular for the average and weak programs. It's too easy to leave now. If the big schools pass you ... go to a Clarion or Seton Hill for a year and then bolt.

My guess is there will be a lot of the better players in the PSAC who currently reside on lesser teams looking for new homes in the very near future (as in next week). Seton Hill could get gutted. They have a couple nice freshmen. The big guy from Ligonier Valley would be attractive to most schools. The guard from the DMV. Same with Clarion.

I think this is going to make the poor teams a feeder system for the wealthy -- almost a developmental league within the league.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Saturday night is Fan Appreciation Night. See release from IUP below:

Todd Garzarelli. "Our fans and the Indiana Community have made the Kovalchick Complex the toughest place to play in the PSAC and that is proven each night with impressive wins by our nationally-ranked women's and men's programs.

"We want to show how grateful we are for their support, so we've partnered with Aramark at the Kovalchick Complex to offer this 'Fan Appreciation' deal. I can't wait to see the awesome crowd that greets the Crimson Hawks this Saturday night!"

Both IUP women's and men's basketball programs boast the top attendance figures in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) this season, as well as having some of the best turnouts in all of Division II.

Each program excels on its home floor as the women and men have a combined 27-1 home record this season.

At the conclusion of each game Saturday, fans can join the women's and men's teams from their seats in a short celebration of the regular season as the Crimson Hawks look forward to another postseason that runs through Indiana and the Kovalchick Complex.

The 2020 PSAC Championships begin next week, and with a pair of No. 1 seeds, IUP will host a doubleheader in the quarterfinal round Wednesday night, March 4.

Kovalchick Complex Box Office HoursFollow
    For up-to-date game information, visit www.IUPAthletics.com and follow IUP Men's Basketball on Twitter @IUPCrimsonHawk and @IUP_MBB.

For up-to-date game information, visit www.IUPAthletics.com and follow IUP Women's Basketball on Twitter @IUPCrimsonHawk and @IUP_WBB.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP held Seton Hill star Nathan Davis to 2 points today.

The 38 points given up .... it's been a long time since they held somebody in the 30s.

Leave a comment:

• PSACwatcher
    replied
    IUP 89
    Seton Hill 38

Final

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP 89
    Seton Hill 38

Final

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Malik is doubtful today. Illness.
    Yikes!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Malik is doubtful today. Illness.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Easy to shoot 55% when 90% of your shots are banked lay ups. Get him 15-18 feet away from the hoop and I'd bet 25% from out there. Tonight he shot well from out there unlike the norm! I've watched the guy play for years and that's the truth.
    Then why is he third in the league in FG percentage? Aren't there plenty of players whose majority of the shots are close the hoop? If it's that easy, wouldn't there be more players shooting in the mid 50's & higher?

By the way, he makes 88.3% of his uncontested shots 15 feet from the hoop, so I like his chances to shoot over 25% on 15-footers in the flow of the game.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied

Correct. Le Moyne is in a different region. However, as their region boarders the PSAC -- and since Le Moyne is regionally ranked -- IUP's win against them counts in the metric for 'record against regionally ranked teams'.

ESU didn't make the first ranking but it can't be far out.

What likely held them back is their record against other ranked teams. By my count ESU is 1-4 in such games.

UPJ lost last night as did Bowie State. I'd have to think Cal, ESU and Mercyhurst are climbing.
    I wish the rankings went further than the Top 10. Then we'd know where everyone else is too...

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

ESU isn't worthy of a Top 10 Regional Ranking. They're very good, but not THAT good...However, I can't see a 10 loss team (Bowie State) as one of the best 10 in the Region either...Le Moyne is in a different region...
    Correct. Le Moyne is in a different region. However, as their region boarders the PSAC -- and since Le Moyne is regionally ranked -- IUP's win against them counts in the metric for 'record against regionally ranked teams'.

ESU didn't make the first ranking but it can't be far out.

What likely held them back is their record against other ranked teams. By my count ESU is 1-4 in such games.

UPJ lost last night as did Bowie State. I'd have to think Cal, ESU and Mercyhurst are climbing.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    It's official Regional Ranking Day -- first release.

Let's take a look at Joe's body of work.

Record: 16-2 PSAC | 21-2 overall | D2 record 20-2

Best wins: @ Le Moyne, East Stroudsburg, Mercyhurst, Gannon (twice), California (twice), @ UPJ,

Losses: @ Shippensburg, @ Mercyhurst

Hard to say how the Top 10 will fall (they will list 10 teams today). However, I suspect Le Moyne, East Stroudsburg, Mercyhurst, California and UPJ will be in the the Top 10. If that's the case, it would give Joe a 6-2 initial record against ranked teams (once ranked always ranked for this category). They'd get a nice boost if Gannon can squirm their way in during the next two releases. Le Moyne counts as they are in a neighboring (touching) state region.

IUP will take an S.O.S. hit starting tonight. The next three games are Edinboro, @Seton Hill and @Clarion. UPJ visits in the regular season finale next Saturday night.

ESU isn't worthy of a Top 10 Regional Ranking. They're very good, but not THAT good...However, I can't see a 10 loss team (Bowie State) as one of the best 10 in the Region either...Le Moyne is in a different region...
    Last edited by WarriorVoice; 02-20-2020, 06:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Cathedral Prep entitlement
    True statement!!! He wasn't even a star for Prep. Goes to Boro and Riesenweber right away deems him the next D2 Curry. Get out of here!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Easy to shoot 55% when 90% of your shots are banked lay ups. Get him 15-18 feet away from the hoop and I'd bet 25% from out there. Tonight he shot well from out there unlike the norm! I've watched the guy play for years and that's the truth.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X