• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    No, not at all. But they do make some heavy coin in there on weekends.

That's one thing IUP has going for it ... the games have become events for many of the core following. They meet up before hand next door or whatever. IUP games have the feel of much more than a D2 game ... especially the Saturday night games. That's why you'll never see them playing afternoon games.

One would have to research it but going back to the mid-90s IUP's home, Saturday night winning percentage is off the charts. I mean it's very rare they lose on Saturday night.

Certainly the overall atmosphere could be better but they are fortunate to have a very loyal following in the community. Joe has some real heavy hitters bankrolling that program.

We complain about averaging 1,700 but every other school in the PSAC would die for that number. The KCAC is just so darn big it looks empty even with 1,700.
    I guess I'm saying that you aren't getting the brothers from Kappa Sigma to go into that bar, get trashed, and make fools of themselves in the seats lol

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

No, not at all. But they do make some heavy coin in there on weekends.

That's one thing IUP has going for it ... the games have become events for many of the core following. They meet up before hand next door or whatever. IUP games have the feel of much more than a D2 game ... especially the Saturday night games. That's why you'll never see them playing afternoon games.

One would have to research it but going back to the mid-90s IUP's home, Saturday night winning percentage is off the charts. I mean it's very rare they lose on Saturday night.

Certainly the overall atmosphere could be better but they are fortunate to have a very loyal following in the community. Joe has some real heavy hitters bankrolling that program.

We complain about averaging 1,700 but every other school in the PSAC would die for that number. The KCAC is just so darn big it looks empty even with 1,700.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    It's just a short matter of time until all the (D1) college venues are selling alcohol at games. The 'case studies' like WVU, etc., are making a ton of money. According to their released stats, the amount of in-game arrests, etc., hasn't increased since they started selling it.

At WVU, for instance (like the KCAC), it's so expensive that people aren't going to sit in there and go nuts. Last time I was at game in Morgantown I think a 16 oz plastic bottle was $9 or $10 each.

There's just far too much money they are leaving on the table at each event. It's coming.

IUP's had it at basketball games (granted, in a restricted area) for years now and I've never noticed it to cause any problems. If anything it gets that funeral home to wake up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Agree on going in early. At least for Pirates games, I really enjoy having a few drinks in the ballpark with friends before the game than during or even in the parking lot.
    It's just a short matter of time until all the (D1) college venues are selling alcohol at games. The 'case studies' like WVU, etc., are making a ton of money. According to their released stats, the amount of in-game arrests, etc., hasn't increased since they started selling it.

At WVU, for instance (like the KCAC), it's so expensive that people aren't going to sit in there and go nuts. Last time I was at game in Morgantown I think a 16 oz plastic bottle was $9 or $10 each.

There's just far too much money they are leaving on the table at each event. It's coming.

IUP's had it at basketball games (granted, in a restricted area) for years now and I've never noticed it to cause any problems. If anything it gets that funeral home to wake up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    I never show up late to a live sporting event that I'm going to. I'm a pregame watcher. I love to watch warmups, the introductions, etc. If something starts at 7:00, I'm there 5:15 if I can be.

A lot of people don't like the time necessary to go through security at pro sporting events. Tough. Come earlier. I would rather have to be at the stadium an extra hour earlier than I already am if I knew I was guaranteed my safety in the building. You think of some of those venues... Penn State, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, all those schools down South, etc... Giant targets. They all should do something to protect the people inside of their. That I was not even stopped or searched walking into Notre Dame Stadium was alarming, frightening, and everything else in between.
    Agree on going in early. At least for Pirates games, I really enjoy having a few drinks in the ballpark with friends before the game than during or even in the parking lot.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Penn State used to be like that ... it was easy to get a 12-pack in there once winter coat season started.

But, yeah, the 'just walk in' practice is scary considering all the nut jobs and mass shootings, etc.

Heinz Field is pretty extreme but that's not a bad thing.
    I never show up late to a live sporting event that I'm going to. I'm a pregame watcher. I love to watch warmups, the introductions, etc. If something starts at 7:00, I'm there 5:15 if I can be.

A lot of people don't like the time necessary to go through security at pro sporting events. Tough. Come earlier. I would rather have to be at the stadium an extra hour earlier than I already am if I knew I was guaranteed my safety in the building. You think of some of those venues... Penn State, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, all those schools down South, etc... Giant targets. They all should do something to protect the people inside of their venue. That I was not even stopped or searched walking into Notre Dame Stadium was alarming, frightening, and everything else in between.
    Last edited by IUP24; 07-25-2019, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Penn State used to be like that ... it was easy to get a 12-pack in there once winter coat season started.

But, yeah, the 'just walk in' practice is scary considering all the nut jobs and mass shootings, etc.

Heinz Field is pretty extreme but that's not a bad thing.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I'm not talking about selling it at the concession stand. I'm saying having bottled beer and wine in the president's box or a tent behind the end zone for donors.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The PSAC manual under "Crowd Control" includes the quoted part of my post. So maybe by keeping it 'away' from the game its allowed? So theoretically a president's box or alumni tent couldn't serve alcohol because its 'inside' the gameday event.
    That would certainly be a stretch at the KCAC. The 'bar' is up on the concourse. It is enclosed, per se, but added tables outside in the concourse in the past two years. It is 'fenced' in but many stand inside the 'fence' and watch the game from up above. So, it's hard to say it's removed.

The five private suites at the KCAC used for watching the game all allow alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

For whatever it's worth the KCAC 'bar' is a closed off area/room and alcohol is not allowed to leave that area (you can't take a beer to your seat).

But, certainly, I've wondered the same.

Concerts and such at the KCAC have beer sold and wine sold all over the building and you can take it to your seats.
    The PSAC manual under "Crowd Control" includes the quoted part of my post. So maybe by keeping it 'away' from the game its allowed? So theoretically a president's box or alumni tent couldn't serve alcohol because its 'inside' the gameday event.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

PSAC question for the lurkers out there (Steve Murray, Will Adair, Matt Burglund): the PSAC manual says "consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited." Is this no longer being enforced? For years I've been pushing for Edinboro to hold alumni events in tents at games with alcohol and the ideas are instantly squashed with a citation from the PSAC policy. Asking here because IUP sells alcohol at basketball games.

For whatever it's worth the KCAC 'bar' is a closed off area/room and alcohol is not allowed to leave that area (you can't take a beer to your seat).

But, certainly, I've wondered the same.

Concerts and such at the KCAC have beer sold and wine sold all over the building and you can take it to your seats.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

PSAC question for the lurkers out there (Steve Murray, Will Adair, Matt Burglund): the PSAC manual says "consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited." Is this no longer being enforced? For years I've been pushing for Edinboro to hold alumni events in tents at games with alcohol and the ideas are instantly squashed with a citation from the PSAC policy. Asking here because IUP sells alcohol at basketball games.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
    I'll have to look into it. Would be interesting to see what type of talent they have over there.
    Just found this guy. He is a player and lays out what it's like playing professional football in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_wsMzPsHug

Silas Nacita played at Baylor and I believe was playing for the Frankfurt Universe at the time he filmed this video. They are a GFL2 team. Interesting note from a later video, he was playing for former Baylor HC Art Briles in Italy.

Side note on Europe. I would encourage any college football player to leap at the chance to play football over there. Europe is cool and completely different than anywhere I've been in the states! I can't imagine going over there, seeing the sights and getting a chance to play football for money (even if it is a very little bit of money). For a 21 year old guy, what could be better??

Leave a comment:

• PSACfan1
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    The top American Football League in Europe is the BIG6 League run by the European Football League (EFL). Next echelon down is the EFL which consists of six teams and culminates in the Eurobowl. From there it trickles down to the individual countries that typically have a number of league levels. In Germany there is the GFL with 16 teams and GFL 2 with 16 teams...Below them there are five "Regionalligas" with a total of 32 teams playing in them.
    I'll have to look into it. Would be interesting to see what type of talent they have over there.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X