• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Ohhhhh...How soon IUP fans forget. Much conversation before the season about how "stacked" the team was and how Joe had gone "all in" to win a NC!!!
    He did. They were 30-3.

It didn't work.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    That's obviously not true and typical Boat innuendos, but, ...

I would say last year's team, despite the 30-3 record, wasn't one of Joe's two best teams.

I think the 2014-15 team would have mopped the floor with them. That team had better guards, more toughness and played way better defense. Not to mention Daddy would have went bonkers inside. The West was much better then, too.

Joe's best team was without doubt his first national title game team. The Webb team would have blown the 14-15 and 18-19 teams out of the building.

Question is how the Webb team would have faired against Kanaskie's big team in the mid-90s or Edwards' '02 team.
    Ohhhhh...How soon IUP fans forget. Much conversation before the season about how "stacked" the team was and how Joe had gone "all in" to win a NC!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    My reply was presented as sarcasm also! Poke at how much importance IUP faithful put in which D1 they are "playing."

I had considered posting about this years IUP team being the BEST Joe had put together...EVER! But I figured the IUP faithful wouldn't get the joke!! FYI...EVERY team Joe puts together is the best team in the history of IUP basketball...Seems like this years squad is shaping up to be the best, EVER, also!!!!!!!
    That's obviously not true and typical Boat innuendos, but, ...

I would say last year's team, despite the 30-3 record, wasn't one of Joe's two best teams.

I think the 2014-15 team would have mopped the floor with them. That team had better guards, more toughness and played way better defense. Not to mention Daddy would have went bonkers inside. The West was much better then, too.

Joe's best team was without doubt his first national title game team. The Webb team would have blown the 14-15 and 18-19 teams out of the building.

Question is how the Webb team would have faired against Kanaskie's big team in the mid-90s or Edwards' '02 team.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

My reply was presented as sarcasm also! Poke at how much importance IUP faithful put in which D1 they are "playing."

I had considered posting about this years IUP team being the BEST Joe had put together...EVER! But I figured the IUP faithful wouldn't get the joke!! FYI...EVERY team Joe puts together is the best team in the history of IUP basketball...Seems like this years squad is shaping up to be the best, EVER, also!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Roster is up. No real surprises. This might be Joe's toughest season as coach -- in terms of getting all that talent narrowed down to 7 rotational guys.

https://iupathletics.com/roster.aspx...43&path=mbball
    Anthony White came off 'walk-on' status. Good for him. He earned it.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Roster is up. No real surprises. This might be Joe's toughest season as coach -- in terms of getting all that talent narrowed down to 7 rotational guys.

https://iupathletics.com/roster.aspx...43&path=mbball

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    This is a good idea ... are there any division II teams that play games against Division I teams as part of the regular season? How do they figure into regional rankings? Do the D-I teams have anything to gain by playing real games against these teams?
    No. Just like our teams playing Penn State branches, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

St. Francis would just make too much sense being 25 minutes up the road. I think that would be a cool yearly (real) game -- way better than Bethany and Westminster.
    This is a good idea ... are there any division II teams that play games against Division I teams as part of the regular season? How do they figure into regional rankings? Do the D-I teams have anything to gain by playing real games against these teams?

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Hard to say but I wouldn't buy too much into the 'new team' philosophy. While we know there are many new faces the talk around town is this team has extremely high expectations. Many I speak to tend to think they will actually be better this year than last year. Way different, for sure. They'll be faster, deeper, stronger defensively and have way more scoring options. The scary thing is all four guards can shoot from deep and are elite drivers. Add to it Chucky should really have a huge season along with Joe's other import bigs. It's going to be a real fun team to watch.

They could play Penn State, Ohio State or West Virginia.

St. Francis would just make too much sense being 25 minutes up the road. I think that would be a cool yearly (real) game -- way better than Bethany and Westminster.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    What are we thinking as far as exhibition games this year? There's obviously other factors in setting up the games, but do you think Joe tries to go the Kentucky, Villanova, Syracuse route or with such a new team tries for some Florida Gulf Coast, Siena-type teams. Last year, they beat Ashland, beat Morehead State and then lost at Rupp Arena. Since Pitt won't play them (and there's no way the other D-1 Pittsburgh schools play them), IUP is kind of running out of regional big D-1 teams to play for the first time. Recent memory says they've played Kentucky, Syracuse, Michigan State, Syracuse and Villanova.

Hard to say but I wouldn't buy too much into the 'new team' philosophy. While we know there are many new faces the talk around town is this team has extremely high expectations. Many I speak to tend to think they will actually be better this year than last year. Way different, for sure. They'll be faster, deeper, stronger defensively and have way more scoring options. The scary thing is all four guards can shoot from deep and are elite drivers. Add to it Chucky should really have a huge season along with Joe's other import bigs. It's going to be a real fun team to watch.

They could play Penn State, Ohio State or West Virginia.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

The past several years they'd play one road game either at Bowie or Fairmont.

But they have the money to bring teams in so there have been several years they play all at home.

Figure 4 of the 6 are in IUP weekend tournaments and Joe obviously isn't taking a road game in a D3 gym. They are in a series with Fairmont and it's in Indiana this year.

UPJ usually plays in that Thanksgiving weekend set but they are going to Puerto Rico. Not sure who the fourth team will be ... likely a PSAC team.
    What are we thinking as far as exhibition games this year? There's obviously other factors in setting up the games, but do you think Joe tries to go the Kentucky, Villanova, Syracuse route or with such a new team tries for some Florida Gulf Coast, Siena-type teams. Last year, they beat Ashland, beat Morehead State and then lost at Rupp Arena. Since Pitt won't play them (and there's no way the other D-1 Pittsburgh schools play them), IUP is kind of running out of regional big D-1 teams to play for the first time. Recent memory says they've played Kentucky, Syracuse, Michigan State, Syracuse and Villanova.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Surprised they have all home non-con games. Is this usual for IUP?
    The past several years they'd play one road game either at Bowie or Fairmont.

But they have the money to bring teams in so there have been several years they play all at home.

Figure 4 of the 6 are in IUP weekend tournaments and Joe obviously isn't taking a road game in a D3 gym. They are in a series with Fairmont and it's in Indiana this year.

UPJ usually plays in that Thanksgiving weekend set but they are going to Puerto Rico. Not sure who the fourth team will be ... likely a PSAC team.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

That's a pretty solid non-conference lineup.

Add to it crossover games with Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg, (at) Mansfield, (at) Shepherd, (at) Shippensburg and Lock Haven.

It should set them up for a strong SOS (not as daunting as a year ago).
    Surprised they have all home non-con games. Is this usual for IUP?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's a pretty solid non-conference lineup.

Add to it crossover games with Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg, (at) Mansfield, (at) Shepherd, (at) Shippensburg and Lock Haven.

It should set them up for a strong SOS (not as daunting as a year ago).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Non-conference (all at home):

Nov. 8 - West Virginia Wesleyan
    Nov. 9 - Concord

Nov. 16 - Fairmont State

Nov. 29 - Bridgeport (18-13 last year with some nice wins -- Daemen, St. Thomas Aquinas, etc.)

Nov. 30 - Lake Erie (17-12 last year)

Dec. 15 - Bethany (D3)

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X