• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I'm sure it is a bitter drink of water for them! Just because Hurst was a worthy winner of the region doesn't mean I liked watching them in the E8 as opposed to us!!!
    I agree. Just happy they were not s fluke who then got embarrassed in elite 8.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Some small consolation for FSU, IUP and WL is that mercyhurst gave NW Missouri the most competitive game of any in the elite 8.
    I'm sure it is a bitter drink of water for them! Just because Hurst was a worthy winner of the region doesn't mean I liked watching them in the E8 as opposed to us!!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Yea...The regional reps were quite strong top to bottom last year. Hurst was certainly a worthy champ and took care of who they needed to when they needed to. But I think among the three (WLU, Hurst and IUP) if we played 10 games against each other, all three teams would end up 5-5.
    Some small consolation for FSU, IUP and WL is that mercyhurst gave NW Missouri the most competitive game of any in the elite 8.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm still not convinced Mercyhurst was better than either IUP or WL. IUP went 2-2 against them this year. But, there's no doubt, that weekend they were better -- and Manchel out-coached both Joe and Ben.

After seeing Mercyhurst beat both of them in person at the Regional, neither IUP or WL made enough in-game adjustments. IUP couldn't speed the game up (or make a shot) and WL wouldn't come out of that press (which killed them as it was totally ineffective). Add to it Mercyhurst really hit its stride at the perfect time.

That whole Regional field last year was superb and extremely even. Consider Mercyhurst needed OT to beat Fairmont State in Round 1. WL easily could have lost the ESU and VSU games. IUP struggled with West Chester. There wasn't a huge difference between 1-8. That was probably the most even field of 8 I've ever seen at the Regional.

Mercyhurst just had IUP figured out by that fourth meeting.
    Yea...The regional reps were quite strong top to bottom last year. Hurst was certainly a worthy champ and took care of who they needed to when they needed to. But I think among the three (WLU, Hurst and IUP) if we played 10 games against each other, all three teams would end up 5-5.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Updated 2019-20 Roster (and, this should be FINAL):

Guards

Malik Miller (6'4")
    Armoni Foster (6'3")
    Shawndale Jones (6'4")
    David Morris (6'2")
    Bryce Radford (6')
    K.J. Rhodes (6'5")
    Anthony White (6'2")

Chucky Humphries (6'6", 210 lbs)
    Shawn Ulrich (6'8", 230 lbs)
    Ousmane Diop (6'10, 215 lbs)
    Ethan Porterfield (6'9", 220 lbs)
    Anastasios Demogerontas (6'7", 215 lbs)

Walk-ons

Alan Glover, Jr. (6'5", 220 lbs)
    Dylan Benton (6'5", 185 lbs)

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm still not convinced Mercyhurst was better than either IUP or WL. IUP went 2-2 against them this year. But, there's no doubt, that weekend they were better -- and Manchel out-coached both Joe and Ben.

After seeing Mercyhurst beat both of them in person at the Regional, neither IUP or WL made enough in-game adjustments. IUP couldn't speed the game up (or make a shot) and WL wouldn't come out of that press (which killed them as it was totally ineffective). Add to it Mercyhurst really hit its stride at the perfect time.

That whole Regional field last year was superb and extremely even. Consider Mercyhurst needed OT to beat Fairmont State in Round 1. WL easily could have lost the ESU and VSU games. IUP struggled with West Chester. There wasn't a huge difference between 1-8. That was probably the most even field of 8 I've ever seen at the Regional.

Or maybe IUP just "shot bad" or they were tired of seeing Hurst and weren't excited. Sticking with the theme since this is now a WLU advanced analytics thread that will always circle back to them never actually losing a game. Just like IUP football.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yea...at the end of the season the chalk line was IUP vs WLU in the regional final. If you go by seeding, WLU finished were they should have (#2 in the region)...Just that the Regional Final loss was to a different team than projected!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Yea...at the end of the season the chalk line was IUP vs WLU in the regional final. If you go by seeding, WLU finished were they should have (#2 in the region)...Just that the Regional Final loss was to a different team than projected!

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Not so for WLU. There were many question marks heading into last season and they were super young. Not that they should have been sub 500 but they certainly were not projecting to get to the regional championship game. Getting to the NCAA tourney and MAYBE winning a first round game was what most of us projected...basically get a year of experiencing and seasoning before a big push starting this year and next year.

Second year HC...replacing 3 of their top 4 scorers...leader who was a second year player playing with one eye...tallest player being 6'5"...senior sharp shooter with a bum leg that kept him out for the first half of the year...light scoring PG who was backed up by a senior returning from cancer...two first year starters in the starting line-up...topped off by a JUCO transfer that refused to play within the WLU system and "left the team" after 13 games. Expectations were about as low starting last season as they get at WLU.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

If we can just keep from having all our shooters go cold the same night we are playing a dominant big man, we should be ok...That and keep from playing any teams playing a Box and one defense!!!!!!
    Box and one? Who played that?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

You guys would fit in perfectly with the IUP football crowd. They, too, have never lost a game. They either just play bad or run out of time.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Good points boat. I watched some highlights of McKinney and Robinson and they had bodies more like d1 guards. Thought hill was a great player but his slight build caused problems, especially on defense at times.
    There are some intensely high motors on this team in addition to talent. Hope the new guys are in shape. LOL
    Sorry about hijack. Will post on wlu thread
    If we can just keep from having all our shooters go cold the same night we are playing a dominant big man, we should be ok...That and keep from playing any teams playing a Box and one defense!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Oh yea...He earns his "stripes" in other ways, just not scoring. Heading into last season we really had only one proven scorer (Bolon) and our starting five averaged 29.7 PPG total the previous season. For comparison, this coming year our top 5 returners (4 starters and 1 second 5 player) averaged 48.9. With Boswell (15.9 PPG), Patrick Robinson (18.7 PPG) and Malik McKinney (11.2 PPG) coming in, from a scoring standpoint, that's a pretty stout top 8...94.7 PPG coming in without any scoring from any other player. To get back to this seasons average of 100.7 PPG, we would need a collective 6 PPG from Sophomore Alesandro and a combination of which ever true Freshmen play this coming season.

Of course, that's assuming there are no production dips. But all in all, it's a pretty good feeling to have almost 100 PPG in proven performance coming back!!
    Good points boat. I watched some highlights of McKinney and Robinson and they had bodies more like d1 guards. Thought hill was a great player but his slight build caused problems, especially on defense at times.
    There are some intensely high motors on this team in addition to talent. Hope the new guys are in shape. LOL
    Sorry about hijack. Will post on wlu thread

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Lots of offense at WL. Boswell actually was at 17.3 his sophomore year on 11.8 shots accordingly to WJ website. So only need 4.6 pts collectively from others instead of 6 haha.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out...only one basketball and only 40 minutes in a game!!!! Maybe the 10 players can each average 20 minutes and 10.5 PPG!! Sounds funny but last season 8 players averaged 15+ minutes per game and two others averaged over 10!

We seem to have hijacked an IUP thread to talk about WLU's insane scoring! MYBAD!!! Please, return to you discussion about transfer players from Niagara!!

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

Lots of offense at WL. Boswell actually was at 17.3 his sophomore year on 11.8 shots accordingly to WJ website. So only need 4.6 pts collectively from others instead of 6 haha.
    Last edited by Dirtybird; 06-25-2019, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X