X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

As time passes we tend to remember certain players in certain ways. DeVante Chance often gets recalled as almost having an immortal senior season.

It may surprise many of you that Dante Lombardi is having, statistically, a nearly identical senior season.

Keep in mind Chance played 38 games as a senior. Dante has played just 28 so far.

Minutes per game: Lombardi 36.2 - Chance 38

FG%: Lombardi 44% Chance 46%

3-point%: Lombardi 38% Chance 40%

FT%: Lombardi 82% Chance 80%

PPG: Lombardi 16.8 Chance 16.5

Assists: Lombardi 155 Chance 217

TOs: Lombardi 96 Chance 130

I'm not suggesting one is better than the other or anything but thought it may surprise many on here to see how nearly identical their numbers actually are when you put them on paper beside one another.

Another comparison: Chance's senior team which advanced to the national final stood at 23-5 entering the PSAC Tournament. This year's team is currently at 26-2.

So, just for fun, put the 2018-19 team up against the 2014-15 team. Not so easy.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I agree with you. However, I just hope the team doesn't have the same 'head and shoulders' view.

Some tid-bits:

* Dante is playing exceptionally well the past 6 games. During this final stretch he's averaging 20.5 ppg and shooting 56 percent from the field. His turnovers are also tremendously down in the second half of the season.

* Joe finally caved in to message board pressure. Yeah, probably not, but nevertheless Chucky Humphries' minutes have skyrocketed in the past two weeks. And, truth be told, that was long over due. Against Seton Hill, he went for 10 rebounds, 5 points and 2 assists in 26 minutes. Humphries is a game-altering problem for opponents. He's exceptionally quick for a post player, can jump out of the building and will annoy the crap out of opposing teams' big men.

* As a result of Humphries playing more, we are seeing a more productive Willem. Brandwijk has quietly been averaging near 8 points and 8 boards per game. With less minutes, Willem is also getting to the line much less -- drastically reducing empty or one-point possessions.

* Item to watch: Malik has been dreadful 2 of his past 3 games. In fact, he was benched this past Saturday night for the final 25-30 percent of the game. In between rough outings at California and against Seton Hill, he had an amazing game at Edinboro. However, against Cal and Seton Hill he combined for 3-20 from the field. Malik shows the flashes of being IUP's most gifted scorer and when he's dialed in may be the best player in the PSAC. Joe was on him pretty hard Saturday night. Hopefully that gets him back on track.

* Marko Krivacevic's minutes are also rising. His production per minute is pretty impressive, and there's no fall-off when he comes in to the game. Many nights it's actually a boost. They will start to see some smaller teams in the coming weeks and he will be a big match-up problem.

* Anthony White could be in the deep rotation as a defensive agitator. He's big and extremely fast. He's an 'in your face' defender. He would be a 20-25 minute player for most teams in the PSAC. I think they could use him more in spurts.

* Armoni's nagging injury is really limiting his production (just 3 points total in the past two games). He had some really big offensive games earlier in the season and will be needed as the competition ramps us.

* In case you missed, Cobo gave up his senior night start so walk-on Todd Fetsko could make his first career start. He then continued his torrid play with another 20 point, 6 rebound performance. The only thing they are missing with him lately is he's not getting to the line nearly as much. Odd for a 6'9" forward that few can guard. He's also perhaps the teams best free throw shooter. Consider in the past four games he's only attempted 7 FTs.

* Speaking of FTs, this still is a somewhat lingering problem. Over the past four games IUP is hitting just 62 percent (28-45) at the line. They are just a hair over 70 percent for the season.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP will host the winner of Gannon at UPJ.

Polar opposite teams. A Gannon visit would be the typical grinder. UPJ would be the more free-flowing game.

Interesting sidenote: Gannon has a better road record than home record. UPJ's road struggles are well known.

Not sure who I'd rather see them play. Probably UPJ although I don't think Gannon could score enough to beat IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

IUP had 3,452 last night for the men's game.

Oddly, it was an extremely quiet crowd.
    Might have been a case of sticker shock over the price of their ticket to get in the door. Or at least the ones that had to pay to get in.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

IUP will host the winner of Gannon at UPJ.

Polar opposite teams. A Gannon visit would be the typical grinder. UPJ would be the more free-flowing game.

Interesting sidenote: Gannon has a better road record than home record. UPJ's road struggles are well known.

Not sure who I'd rather see them play. Probably UPJ although I don't think Gannon could score enough to beat IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

IUP had 3,452 last night for the men's game.

Oddly, it was an extremely quiet crowd.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Couple non-boxcore comments:

* Dante had perhaps his career moment. He carried them. 27 pts

* Cobo great first half

* Malik got in Joe's doghouse and stayed in it. He didn't play the final 10-12 minutes. Perhaps longer.

* Chucky is a beast. He's gotta play heavy minutes. Huge game. 10 rebounds

* Marko had a great game. Willem played well, too.

* Didn't notice Armoni much

* Nathan Davis is an assassin

* Impressed with SH coach. Only seen him twice but they played well both games. They wouldn't go away tonight ... just tired out last 6 minutes. Same as last time.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-02-2019, 09:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Seen SH twice .... absolutely no idea how they have the record they do.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yes. They lost. I was referring to the men. Seton Hill put up a fight. Final score deceiving.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

Upset brewing?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Dante

Enough said

Salute

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Upset brewing?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

A pesky Seton Hill visits the KCAC tonight. I'll get some flack for this, but the Griffins were actually one of the better teams I saw live this season (and I've seen 21 of the 27 games 'live'). Granted, I think that was a 'one night wonder' but nonetheless.

Every team has a team that causes them some issues. Seton Hill has for whatever reason become that team to IUP.

Three years ago IUP lost down there in what has to be considered the greatest night in Seton Hill basketball history (and cost IUP an NCAA bid). Last year's finale was the now infamous goon fest. IUP won the game but lost the season.

Whatever the reason the Griffins rise up for this game. Joe talks about teams 'rising up' all the time. Seton Hill actually does.

IUP's press was useless in the first meeting this year, and Trevor Blondin was able to drive the hole as if he was Kawhi Leonard. Nathan Davis looked like J.J. Reddick in his Duke days. I thought they had IUP incredibly well-scouted.

I think tonight is much different. I don't want to say IUP was flat in the first game but they needed to get punched in the face a few times before they woke up. After watching Davis and Blondin light them up on film I'm sure they'll be a little more prepared for this one. The Griffins took away the trey -- holding IUP to its lowest attempts (and makes) of the whole season (2-16).

Lots at stake tonight. Lots of distractions, too. Senior night. Big crowd. Families in town. Seton Hill is a good team with two great players. Take care of business and head up town afterward. Pounce on this team early. We don't need to risk another Blondin/Davis show.

So, while, yes, I typically worry too much ... Seton Hill has a proven track record of being a pest. Here's to it not happening again tonight.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

If he turned down a Michigan State offer to go to IUP then he's not too bright. As you said, probably Michigan State had "interest" and nothing more. Of course there's no way of telling weather that interest was the Izzo coming into town to watch a couple of his games and meet with him or a grad assistant stoping by his practice one afternoon and talking to the coach about him for a minute. Both extremes usually get painted as "serious interest!!" That said, he is a quality DII player and will probably be playing in Europe next year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I want them to get one of those, too.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X