replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The freshmen class is legit. Most would start at other schools right now. He has two more stars already signed for next year, too.

My only fear with this team is it has played a putrid schedule to this point. It hasn't been remotely challenged yet and it is now January. Their closest game so far is 19 points (and that was after WCU chipped it down that tight at the end).

That's not all their fault. They can't control the quality of PSAC opponents. But, they played a very, very weak non-conference schedule.

I do agree they are very deep and talented. Getting D'Anna back soon is very important -- mainly against Cal and Edinboro.

I'd have liked to see them get tested at least a little prior to the Cal game.

The only real weakness I see is they love to miss layups. It hasn't mattered so far but it will soon.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    Last WV player to come to IUP was Travis Tomer. Hopefully this guy sticks around longer if he commits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe doesn't typically offer unless he already knows the answer. Just sayin'

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    IUP has offered PG Bryce Radford (Woodrow Wilson High School - Beckley, WV).

It appears he also has offers from Concord and Glenville State.

Last WV player to come to IUP was Travis Tomer. Hopefully this guy sticks around longer if he commits.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The freshmen class is legit. Most would start at other schools right now. He has two more stars already signed for next year, too.

My only fear with this team is it has played a putrid schedule to this point. It hasn't been remotely challenged yet and it is now January. Their closest game so far is 19 points (and that was after WCU chipped it down that tight at the end).

That's not all their fault. They can't control the quality of PSAC opponents. But, they played a very, very weak non-conference schedule.

I do agree they are very deep and talented. Getting D'Anna back soon is very important -- mainly against Cal and Edinboro.

I'd have liked to see them get tested at least a little prior to the Cal game.

The only real weakness I see is they love to miss layups. It hasn't mattered so far but it will soon.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Iup basketball

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Agree that GU could be a tough out if they can score 65 points per game. But it actually has to happen. Some believe that this scorer could be Frank Webb, who sat out the last two games with an injury. I thought that he was more day-to-day, but it must be more serious than expected.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

IUP has offered PG Bryce Radford (Woodrow Wilson High School - Beckley, WV).

It appears he also has offers from Concord and Glenville State.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    That last 2-3 minutes... The reason I never have and never will put a cent on a sporting event.

When the bench empties in a blowout ... the sports book types go in to a panic. If there was real heat on that game last night, the line probably would have been around 18 points. So, when IUP went from up 30 with 180 seconds left to down just 21 at the end ... yeah, the bettors would have been freaking out. I don't think Joe wanted to hang 30+ on JR. There's too much respect there.

What's funny is I was sitting in the KCAC thinking of that 79.5 over/under. With about 10 minutes left I was sure they were going to hit it. The loudest cheer of the night, by far, was when Fetsko hit that shot.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Agree that GU could be a tough out if they can score 65 points per game. But it actually has to happen. Some believe that this scorer could be Frank Webb, who sat out the last two games with an injury. I thought that he was more day-to-day, but it must be more serious than expected.
    Frank Webb is out the rest of the year, medical redshirt. That is a done deal.

As far as them pulling out from lay ups, I did see that but almost every time they would've been highly contested attempts. Those are big trees in there!

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

IUPAlum / Golden89:

It's my opinion GU could still make a nice little run in West play. But, somebody has to emerge as the go-to scorer. I'm not saying they need to light up the scoreboards ... but if they can score 67-70 they'll win a lot of games down the stretch. With 9 losses already their NCAA hopes are long gone but they can still be a tough out and play spoiler. There's no doubt they play full speed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Any other year Reilly would go 7 deep at most. This year is the first I've seen him sub this much. He knows they are offensively challenged and he's got to be searching for a hot hand.

IUPAlum / Golden89:

In keeping this topic going (specifically to Gannon) ... Did you notice the number of times last night Gannon's players could drive the lane but then almost froze up, stopped, and kicked it back out? It's almost like they are afraid to shoot the ball. Granted, you run in to some real big boys under the IUP basket, but they did this all night -- in particular off the press.

Fernando Salsamendi gives GU a legit outside presence. But, after watching him closely last night, he's kind of an odd fit in the GU team. He's deadly as a straight-up 'set' shooter. But, he's by no means a 'Reilly' defender. He was hot early last night and oddly the ball quit coming his way. I think IUP adjusted on to him pretty quickly but I'd have still kept getting him shots. When he came out of the game at about the 8-minute mark of the first half, the Gannon offense took a nose-dive. IUP had to pay him just enough attention that it was opening other lanes, etc. Once he was off the floor GU's only offense was put-backs.

IUP's press was very effective. That's the longest Joe's ever ran it in one game. While it did create a handful of turnovers, it did a tremendous job of eating the shot clock and forcing Gannon in to sets it seemed very uncomfortable running. I think it also slowly took the 'pep' out of Gannon a little bit on the defensive end. They started the game full of Red Bull on defense. I'd say IUP then pressed the final 75 percent of the game and it wore them down just enough. Chucky is a beast in the middle of the press. He's quick, long and fast. I thought they could have called Gannon with at least two time violations for not crossing in time.

It's my opinion GU could still make a nice little run in West play. But, somebody has to emerge as the go-to scorer. I'm not saying they need to light up the scoreboards ... but if they can score 67-70 they'll win a lot of games down the stretch. With 9 losses already their NCAA hopes are long gone but they can still be a tough out and play spoiler. There's no doubt they play full speed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Malik was the X Factor ... went off for 26 points.

Looked like JR was intent on smothering Dante. Bearer hit two big treys in the first half.

IUP shot 12 of 25 from trey land and 53 percent from the field.

Marko and Chucky are making big cases for more minutes. Unfortunately for Chucky ... Cobo is ahead of him.

It's not possible JR has any voice after a game ends.

GU plays hard and physical. No doubt. There's just no offense there. I actually thought he subs way too much. No rythem for the players.

Any other year Reilly would go 7 deep at most. This year is the first I've seen him sub this much. He knows they are offensively challenged and he's got to be searching for a hot hand.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

Malik was the X Factor ... went off for 26 points.

Looked like JR was intent on smothering Dante. Bearer hit two big treys in the first half.

IUP shot 12 of 25 from trey land and 53 percent from the field.

Marko and Chucky are making big cases for more minutes. Unfortunately for Chucky ... Cobo is ahead of him.

It's not possible JR has any voice after a game ends.

GU plays hard and physical. No doubt. There's just no offense there. I actually thought he subs way too much. No rythem for the players.
    This is why I was certain that Gannon couldn't keep the game close. This team can't score and won't hold a great offense like IUP down for the better part of the game. It seems like the entire game that Reils is searching for a lineup that works and changes every few minutes. Lather, Rinse, Repeat!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X