X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

I've always been partial to PI as the sole selection criteria. It takes into account a teams W/L (you get more points for wins than you do losses), and SOS is accounted for (You get a higher # of points for beating and losing to tougher teams). Don't know why the NCAA muddies up the waters by listing all these other criteria unless their intent is to muddy the waters so they can select teams that run counter to what the PI says.

I don't recall what the end of conference tourney PI numbers were last season for SR1 but it would be interesting to compare them to were the teams were actually seeded.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Interesting stuff.

When you put all the columns together (overall body of work) in the matrix, this is what is spits out (overall rank):

(2) IUP
    (17) Mercyhurst
    (25) West Liberty (tie)
    (25) Chowan (tie)
    (33) Concord
    (58) Shaw
    (59) Fairmont State
    (63) Shippensburg
    (77) UPJ
    (90) Notre Dame
    (97) Shepherd
    (99) Charleston
    (108) Kutztown
    (117) East Stroudsburg
    (121) Virginia State

Note Kutztown is grading out higher than ESU despite having two more losses but a tremendously better SOS.

These are the current Top 15 in the Atlantic.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

For comparison sorted by two other selection criteria:

Top 10 based on SOS:
    Eliz City .6039
    SRU .5953
    Seton Hill .5838
    Bluefield State .5645
    St Augustine .5587
    Claflin .5554
    Bowie State .5482
    IUP .5473
    Edinboro .5400
    Mercyhurst .5350

Top 10 based on Winning %:
    Chowan 100%
    IUP 100%
    Mercyhurst 83.33%
    Concord 80%
    Fairmont 80%
    West Liberty 77.78%
    Shippensburg 77.78%
    Shaw 71.43%
    ESU 71.43
    Livingstone 71.43%

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Some numbers from the updated Performance Indicators that Schnautza compiles (only D2 games count):

IUP is currently No. 2 in the overall rankings with an 8-0 D2 record. IUP's opponents winning percentage is 56.25 percent. IUP's opponents' opponents winning percentage is 51.7 percent. Regional record is 8-0. P.I. is 18.50.

For comparison sake within the Atlantic:

Opponents winning percentage (in order of rankings per his report):

Note: This is also the order in which his metric currently ranks Atlantic Region teams (formula is based on NCAA metrics):

IUP: 56.25%
    Mercyhurst: 57.94%
    West Liberty: 52.87%
    Concord: 46.46%
    Shaw: 54.01%
    Fairmont State: 42.28%
    Shippensburg: 43.33%
    UPJ: 52.42%
    Notre Dame: 43.34
    Shepherd: 44.35%
    Charleston: 43.88%
    Kutztown: 55.06%
    East Stroudsburg: 36.59%

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I watched their feed for the WL game on Sunday. It's watchable. It doesn't skip and the announcer is good. The actual video quality is poor. Kind of like watching an Atari. It is fuzzy enough you can't read jersey numbers or anything. Crows' Nest camera.

It's about 2.5 hours from Indiana. Not sure if Fairmont students will still be there or not. A ton of schools are in finals week. I think I saw FSU had commencement last weekend.

They had a nice crowd for the WL game but it was far from full. It is a neat facility.

The WV Metro News productions are very good.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Anybody making the trip Friday?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Anybody making the trip Friday?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Saturday night was just a perfect storm for that game. I think there is a general excitement for the fans to cross the parking lot and go back in time so to speak at the Field House. Add to it the Saturday night atmosphere and the fact a flashy team was in town. Joe used the word 'swagger' to describe Shippensburg. Being honest I didn't expect anything like that crowd. It was legitimately lively and loud. I agree with Tony's article ... the announced gate of 1,045 was way off. They weren't even scanning tickets past 7 p.m. on the side opposite the benches.

Nobody could invigorate the IUP crowd like Kevin Reynolds but Shippensburg gives it a go. There wasn't a Dustin Sleva jawing at the crowd moment but they did enough to make things interesting. Give them credit ... it's not easy to get an IUP crowd fired up. It's very difficult, actually. Shippensburg also traveled well which also further evokes the home crowd in tight settings like MFH. Willem's monster jam at the end was the perfect exclamation on the night and sent the place in to a frenzy.

Chris Fite said he felt the crowd was a major factor in the game. I'd agree. The critical technical on Ship's Manny Span was a massive turning point in the game. He was getting rode hard all night. He finally lost his cool just for a second.

Now, would I want to play all the games over there? No way. But, that was the best atmosphere for a game in at least four years. The last one that comes to mind was when Mathis hit the game-winner against SRU. There was about 3,500 in the KCAC that night.

As Chuck said even if you get 2,000 in the KCAC that still means half the seats are empty and people are spread out. You get that 2,000 at MFH and it's rocking.

I've said for years on here I wish they'd make the change to only the benches' side at the KCAC being reserved. The other side would become all general admission. It would bring everybody lower to the floor. I don't like the student section, either. As many of you recall the student section at the Field House was behind the visitors' bench up through the Gary Edwards era. At the KCAC they are too far removed. It lessens the home-court advantage. If anything, I'd flip the end of the court the students sit at so they are across from the visiting teams' bench. It's the little things. I guarantee if you had a couple games like this past one the students one would be flocking to get in there. That turned in to an event -- not just another game. Huge difference.

IUP could do so much more at the basketball games. Turn off the lights for player introductions. Show more replays. Get a more lively announcer. Find one D1 arena that doesn't have the 'threeeeeeeeeeeeeee' P.A. announcer after each trey. They are struggling this year with the team entrance. Instead of the intro music they are letting the announcer talk about apartments for rent, etc. The 'atmosphere' items have been a train wreck thus far. The other week they played the same Mo Bamba song about 19 times.

If I had to pick the venue for a big, must-win game? Cross the parking lot every time and head back to the 1980s and 90s. That was a good taste of what games at IUP should all be like. They just need some minor tweaks. The target audience at the KCAC isn't the students. That's the biggest part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Just reading through these comments and those of the coaches-----it sounds like everyone really LOVED being over at the Field House. Let's face it---IUP has won A LOT of big games over there through the years. The place has some character to it and seems to be quite menacing to opponents. Too bad they have to go back to the KCAC. Beautiful facility but just not the Field House.

What were they charging to get into the Field House?

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    $9 general admission. I mean my bill at Steel City later Saturday night was $13, so for a great game with the atmosphere, I'd say that's a bargain to see the No. 3 team in the country play.
    $9 is still rather pricey to see a D-II game, though I suppose it is better than paying KCAC prices. Lord knows what a general admission ticket is there now. But it sounds like it was a great game at least on Saturday night.

Did anyone catch the recent article in the local edition that Indiana County is right near the bottom of states in the Northeast in household income? I hear it all the time from people who stay away from IUP athletics because of ticket pricing. And these are not exactly folks living in the poor house either. It is just beyond me how IUP and our local government does business.

-

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Just reading through these comments and those of the coaches-----it sounds like everyone really LOVED being over at the Field House. Let's face it---IUP has won A LOT of big games over there through the years. The place has some character to it and seems to be quite menacing to opponents. Too bad they have to go back to the KCAC. Beautiful facility but just not the Field House.

-
    $9 general admission. I mean my bill at Steel City later Saturday night was $13, so for a great game with the atmosphere, I'd say that's a bargain to see the No. 3 team in the country play.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Friday night is going to be intense. Fairmont State just beat West Liberty and has now won 8 straight games. Not to mention they haven't lost a home game in forever. Two guards (Jolle and Montgomery) went over 30 today with Jolle just making some insane shots.

Hopefully IUP gets some fans down there. The weather looks decent as of today. It would be awesome if IUP would charter a fan bus. It would be a big boost to have 100 or so fans there. They could definitely fill up one bus.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I think Joe's going to regret not signing Carlos Carter. That's not to say he'd have wanted to stay in Indiana. He's going to be pretty special for Shippensburg. He's a really skilled, physically imposing guard (as a true freshman). Luckily he didn't follow Sancomb to Cal so IUP won't see him a whole lot.

I also thought their guard from Latrobe (Jake Biss) was a very polished player. He's only a sophomore. Those two will be their core the next several years.

I keep hearing about IUP not recruiting Kellam. Dustin Sleva said the same thing. Kellam and Dante are in the same class. Joe wasn't going to take two high school PGs in the same class. Recall in that class he did take a second PG (Brandon Spain). Now, Biss and Carter both being local ... those may be big misses.
    But Kellem's not a point. Don't know about HS, but he never has been at Ship. If anything, he's a 3. Perimeter shooting and defense.

Carlos Carter's shown a lot of promise. Daylon Carter has looked even better, although he didn't do much last night. He's been instant offense on several nights. And yes, Biss is quality. Makes next to no mistakes.

IUP is a program, plain and simple. You put them up against pretty much anyone in D-II, and they'll at least take it to an end game.

PSAC finals are going to be at the top remaining West seed. That will be significant.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Not going to recruit a top tier PG the year you "recruit" your son to be your teams PG. You want depth but not someone who is going to perhaps send "your boy" to the bench!
    Kellam was great last night. Dante was better. Just sayin'

Their careers aren't over yet. Dante is having an incredible season thus far.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X