X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Full PSAC slate today ... IUP vs Ship is only night game.

Kutztown at UPJ could be interesting. UPJ is tough in Johnstown.

West Chester at SRU. Sink or Swim time in Morrow.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Of local high school ball .... Purchase Line upset Indiana last night. I say 'upset' only because of the size of the schools. Talent-wise it wasn't close.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Shippensburg (2-0, 8-1) at IUP (2-0, 8-0)

Next opponent: A closer look at Shippensburg

* Enters coming off a 74-70 loss at a good but not great Bowie State

* Shippensburg's opponents to this point have a 27-41 record

* Best win: UPJ

How they play:

In the most simple terms, Ship plays clean. The Red Raiders are averaging just about 10 turnovers a game. They've had very good offensive numbers up until the loss at Bowie State. So, a case could be made they had a bad night or a case could be made they finally ran in to a team with athletic post players and quick guards who actually play good defense. The answer is probably a bit of both.

Bowie State held Ship to 11 of 30 from outside and to just 35.7% from the field. Bowie also out-rebounded them, 47-38.

Breaking down the roster:

* Ship's top three scorers (G Antonio Kellum, F John Castello and G Jake Biss) almost never come off the floor. This team lost a ton last year and isn't nearly as deep. They are playing 7 guys in double-digit minutes.

* Ship is exceptionally well-coached. Former IUP assistant Chris Fite has done an incredible job in a short time. This was a dumpster-fire program for a long, long time. In a short period he's done a total rebuild from the ground up -- with high school players who have stayed with him and developed. The fact he was an assistant under Joe Lombardi for so long makes it impossible not to see some similarities between the two teams -- both in style and make-up.

* Not a big team this year. There's no Dustin Sleva roaming the glass. Castello is their best post player. He's a powerful 6'4" and hard to move. He's quick and strong, and can shoot well. His season line is 15.7 ppg and 8.3 rpg. The other top post players are Lamar Talley and Manny Span. Talley is a version of Tevin Hanner both in size (6'5", 195 lbs) and play. Very athletic and can jump out of the building. Span is more of the muscle guy at 6'4" and 230 lbs).

* Ship shoots the trey. A lot. The Red Raiders are firing up about 30 treys a game -- hitting 33% for the season. Biss, from close-to-Indiana Latrobe High School, is a sharp-shooter. PG Kellam also goes bombs away from behind the line but is hitting just 28 percent thus far. Castello also likes to roam out and shoot. Being every team that comes in here usually goes bonkers from the outside, I'd expect Ship to shoot well tomorrow night.

* Interesting note: Tomorrow marks the return to Indiana for former IHS guard, (true freshmen) Carlos Carter. Originally signed by Wheeling Jesuit and Danny Sancomb, Carter got his release after Sancomb was let go. He was not offered by IUP to the surprise of many. Carter is playing this year but is a deep bench player -- averaging about 7-8 minutes.

* Ship's roster is loaded with WPIAL players.

Keys for IUP to win:

* Tremendous size advantage. Use it.
    * Press the perimeter. If you let Ship fire away (which IUP tends to do) ... it won't end well.
    * Run the press. It's been very effective most of the time this season. It also eats a lot of shot clock which limits a set-play team like Ship.
    * Stay clean. Foul trouble at the guard position has been a nightmare the past two games.
    * Don't be shocked if Ship runs the exact same defense Millersville did in the second half and attempts to block off the trey. Let Cobo take over at that point.
    * Ship isn't deep. Draw fouls underneath. Post players all at 6'4" should have a terrible time guarding IUP's (3) 6'9" forwards.
    * Chucky Humphries had his coming out party (and bailed IUP out) in the last game. He's good and does a lot of things. Let's see him a bit more. Same with Marko.
    * Malik and Dante: Remain calm. They are both at their best when they play poised.
    * Little bit of a revenge factor in this one. Let's not forget Sleva mouthing off to the crowd here two years ago. Payback time.

My pick: IUP gets freaked out when they play with big leads (no idea why). Because of this, and my opinion Ship will go bonkers from outside, I'm taking IUP in a close one. IUP -4.5

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
    Could the party generate more revenue than a basketball game on the Saturday before finals? I've been to two basketball games at Cal and have yet to be in their Convocation Center due to "other events" going on there.

I'm guessing there's no doubt it will generate more than a hoops game thus they took the deal. The way IUP attendance is going they will be lucky to draw 1,500 for the basketball game. I've heard this private party has around that number. With food and bar that would probably be in the range of $40-$50 a person for the party.

The basketball game with that same number of people won't generate anywhere near that number in revenue.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    There is a massive private party booked for the KCAC -- some 1,500 people or something. Assuming a corporate holiday party.

I question why IUP couldn't move the game to Friday night at the KCAC. It could be Shippensburg wouldn't agree to it since they are playing tonight in Bowie, Md.

I'm not opposed to playing one game a year over there -- would just prefer it be some nobody game over holiday break or something. It's kind of nostalgic to play a game there ... trip down memory lane.

They have some other factors going against this game, too. Indiana High School (boys and girls) have home games Saturday night. Perhaps not a major factor but it is a factor. Both have decent followings.

Seating for the game is all general admission. Kids under 12 get in free.

I'd love to see one of those old-time huge crowds in there. It would be awesome to actually hear noise again at a game. The Field House could be deafening when it was humming back in the day.
    Could the party generate more revenue than a basketball game on the Saturday before finals? I've been to two basketball games at Cal and have yet to be in their Convocation Center due to "other events" going on there.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    What is going on at the KCAC on Saturday?

-

There is a massive private party booked for the KCAC -- some 1,500 people or something. Assuming a corporate holiday party.

I question why IUP couldn't move the game to Friday night at the KCAC. It could be Shippensburg wouldn't agree to it since they are playing tonight in Bowie, Md.

I'm not opposed to playing one game a year over there -- would just prefer it be some nobody game over holiday break or something. It's kind of nostalgic to play a game there ... trip down memory lane.

They have some other factors going against this game, too. Indiana High School (boys and girls) have home games Saturday night. Perhaps not a major factor but it is a factor. Both have decent followings.

Seating for the game is all general admission. Kids under 12 get in free.

I'd love to see one of those old-time huge crowds in there. It would be awesome to actually hear noise again at a game. The Field House could be deafening when it was humming back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

What is going on at the KCAC on Saturday?

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Three games until Santa Claus comes to visit.

Dec. 8 - Shippensburg
    -- If Shippensburg survives the trip to Bowie State tonight it will set up a 9-0 Ship vs. an 8-0 IUP in the historic Memorial Field House Saturday night. Not a fan of IUP selling out the basketball team and renting the KCAC out to somebody else for the biggest home game of the year ... but what do I know.

Dec. 14 - at Fairmont State

Dec. 18 - West Chester (IUP has lost three straight in the series. The last meeting was the WCU 'miracle three' at the end of OT in the 2015-16 PSAC Tournament semifinals).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The Frank Costanza Airing of Grievances:

* Malik Miller is up to 32 turnovers -- far too many for a non-PG. His 8 TOs yesterday combined with Dante's 7 played a massive role in a near loss. Yesterday was the first game I'd call the duo truly sloppy. It was the back-end of a doubleheader weekend against a juiced up team, but just relax a bit. Every play doesn't have to be a highlight. The last 2-3 minutes of the first half should have seen IUP extend that 12-14 point lead up to 18-20 (and not the 10 it ended up being) -- and put the game away. Dante is currently at 45 assists to 28 TOs. Those designed, end of the half plays ... at the very least IUP needs to go in even. Yesterday was the second or third time they've botched the play with points somehow resulting on the other end.

* IUP's FT shooting is horrendous. No way to sugar coat a team number of 65 percent. The big guys have to improve. They will get hacked all year. Poor FT shooting is letting teams hang around too long. It has now literally almost cost them wins against Virginia State (69%), Kutztown (63%) and Millersville (59%). Those numbers aren't some big secret. IUP may start getting some 'hack-a-Shaq' defenses moving forward.

* This team is struggling holding (and extending) big leads. It happened in both the Kutztown and Millersville games. Land the kill shot. Give teams life and you saw what happens.

* IUP better be prepared to handle the defense Millersville ran in the second half yesterday. It worked like a charm. The Marauders sold out on the deep shots. IUP was routinely getting trapped up high. Why the ball wasn't worked inside more is a good question.

* Could really use a shot blocker.

Positives:

* 8-0
    * Team found a way to win two road games they would have likely lost a year ago. That's the depth.
    * Marko had a breakout against Kutztown -- going for 10 points and 9 boards.
    * Chucky was a huge spark yesterday. He really saved that game for them in my opinion. He's in a tough spot backing up one of the best players in the country but he's making a case for more minutes. He's a spark plug.
    * Armoni Foster was clutch in the final moments yesterday. That was a gigantic trey and two foul shots. He had a strong weekend. He was in a funk the prior weekend.
    * Greg Bearer is becoming a bit of a sniper.
    * Week to prepare for Shippensburg. They'll get to watch them against Bowie State on Wednesday. Certainly some 'payback time' in the air heading in to this game.
    * All for one game a year in the Field House ... shame it has to be this one.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Millersville deserves some credit. They got shredded in the first half and yet stayed within 10 points. They made great adjustments at halftime and IUP went to sleep. They made some real big shots down the stretch. Conversely, IUP didn't adjust at all to Millersville taking away the deep shot. Chucky really bailed them out today.

The Marauders could make some noise. That's a tough venue to play in ... very claustrophobic.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Dante about gets knocked in to Row 2 and they call it a turnover. That would be a tremendous replay to see.

That Adkinson (sp) from Millersville is good as I mentioned before the game. Apparently IUP didn't get the memo.

FT shooting is becoming a major issue for this team. The amount of dumb turnovers today was mind-boggling. Just putrid play in the second half.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That second half was one of the worst 20 minutes I think I've ever seen IUP play.

I wouldn't want to be near Joe watching that film tomorrow.

They escaped ... I guess that counts the most. They didn't deserve to win that game.

You'll have some crap shows throughout the season. IUP is VERY fortunate.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

FINAL

IUP 74

Millersville 73

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Win by 1 is a win... I guess chest bumping Dante out of bounds is legal now. Almost cost them.

Very sloppy game today but they escaped.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X