• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    There is something really different about how Irish Tom recruits compared to the other IUP WBB coaches when I used to sit in the bleachers and watch their teams play. I probably subscribed to the Jeff Dow recruiting the most with a few of the classes he got such as 2009 and 2011. But they all had their gems.

I guess it's hard to argue with Irish Tom, what's his record----something like 120-34? He has done well.

-

Tom keeps finding gems. No doubt. He's done about 90 percent high school classes and the occasional 'right fit' transfer.

The women's game, for a variety of reasons, has a tremendously better player retention rate. He redshirts many of these girls and keeps the depth at a high level. Tom's teams are incredibly fundamentally sound.

Last year was really the first year I started to really enjoy watching the women's game. Joe's team was hard to watch at times last year. LOL.

Jury is still out on this season. The ladies have played a glorified high school schedule to this point. Things get real here in a couple weeks. But, they are deep with upperclassmen and have a loaded freshmen class sitting on the bench. Appleby is a legit first team All-America player.

I really hope they do get at least one test prior to the Cal/Boro games.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Tom has two officially signed new recruits for next year's class.

Josie Smith, a 6'1" forward from New Albany High School (New Albany, OH), and Maria Cerro, a 5'6" guard from Bethel Park High School.

The IUP ladies moved up to No. 3 in yesterday's national poll.
    New Albany is a super nice area in Columbus. Real ritzy. Outside of the city, so it's a little country, but man.. The houses there are freaking huge. Lot of money in that town. Rivals the Dublin/Muirfield area here. Dublin/Muirfield probably takes the cake for rich people in Columbus. That's where Muirfield Village is located,. Home of the Memorial tournament on the PGA Tour each summer. For the fans out there, everybody's boy Urban lives there lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Josie Smith, a 6'1" forward from New Albany High School (New Albany, OH), and Maria Cerro, a 5'6" guard from Bethel Park High School.

There is something really different about how Irish Tom recruits compared to the other IUP WBB coaches when I used to sit in the bleachers and watch their teams play. I probably subscribed to the Jeff Dow recruiting the most with a few of the classes he got such as 2009 and 2011. But they all had their gems.

I guess it's hard to argue with Irish Tom, what's his record----something like 120-34? He has done well.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

[QUOTE I also noticed in the local edition that this is a very senior/upperclassmen laden team. These guys should have some unit cohesion and battle scars together by now. Maybe it does bode well.
    -[/QUOTE]

This has been the target year for awhile now. They built up for this season. Cobo and Malik Miller are legitimate stars.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Last year's team would have been 4-2 right now instead of 6-0.

These (big four) East crossover games and the trip to Fairmont State are going to be highly difficult. Getting Ship, WCU, Kutztown and ESU in the same season is tough. At least two of them are in Indiana.

Let's not too far ahead. There are some faults showing to this point.

My big concern is this team getting sucked in to a West slop fest. It isn't built to bang.

Last year they were arrogant talkers. This group is confident players. Major difference. Great start. No doubt. But, yes, the roster is just way better. They are deep and will keep getting deeper.
    That is always the really odd thing about PSAC West Hoops and the region. It's two completely different modes of combat. It's pretty tough to be equipped for both of them. What works in one may not work much in the other.

Regarding the talkers-----just take a look at what that idiot Jalen Ramsey did to the Jags. Okay, a talented player----but what good did he do running his mouth and inciting the opposition week after week to want to get the better of him? The game is hard enough without somebody throwing fuel on the fire like that and sparking your opponent.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    This is a team that looks very equipped to be hunted by their opposition all season long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well-said. That's a good line. It certainly applies as IUP usually gets other teams "A-game" because of their stature.

Always a big difference in the lion hunting you or you hunting the lion!

I also noticed in the local edition that this is a very senior/upperclassmen laden team. These guys should have some unit cohesion and battle scars together by now. Maybe it does bode well.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Last year's team would have been 4-2 right now instead of 6-0.

These (big four) East crossover games and the trip to Fairmont State are going to be highly difficult. Getting Ship, WCU, Kutztown and ESU in the same season is tough. At least two of them are in Indiana.

Let's not get too far ahead. There are some faults showing to this point.

My big concern is this team getting sucked in to a West slop fest. It isn't built to bang.

Last year they were arrogant talkers. This group is confident players. Major difference. Great start. No doubt. But, yes, the roster is just way better. They are deep and will keep getting deeper.

They have 8 players who can all score. The 9th will soon be Danscecs as Joe gets more confidence in him. He's the floor spreader. Great deep shot. Hard group to defend for 40 minutes. They also can crank the D like no Joe team since DeVante's group.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-26-2018, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Okay, I guess I have to admit that I know nothing about the landscape of D-II ball. But by the same token some of those teams Pitt beat already are going to win some games this season as well. They all were not awful teams.

But certainly a plus for IUP to get off to that good start this season. That seemed to play a part in their doom the past few seasons when they took too many early season losses. Or so it would seem.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

No.

Virginia State, Le Moyne and Concord are going to win an awful lot of games this year.
    Okay, I guess I have to admit that I know nothing about the landscape of D-II ball. But by the same token some of those teams Pitt beat already are going to win some games this season as well. They all were not awful teams.

But certainly a plus for IUP to get off to that good start this season. That seemed to play a part in their doom the past few seasons when they took too many early season losses. Or so it would seem.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

But haven't they mostly just played a lot of tomato cans, as you may say, thus far? Just sayin'

-
    No.

Virginia State, Le Moyne and Concord are going to win an awful lot of games this year.

VSU has lost twice -- by 3 points combined. They will win 20 games this year. That was a huge win. Same with Le Moyne (Elite 8 last year).
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-26-2018, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Cobo just got his second PSAC West Athlete of the Award for the season. Guy is on fire.
    But haven't they mostly just played a lot of tomato cans, as you may say, thus far? Just sayin'

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Cobo just got his second PSAC West Athlete of the Award for the season. Guy is on fire.
    He'll be first team all region and will be on the All American team. He's that good, he even looks like he is playing a little more physical this year too.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The second half was as good of defense as I've seen at IUP since Dennis Mims' team.

They just smothered them. Add to it Dante got red hot.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X