X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

It wasn't the right job for Joe. Not at this time of his career, anyway.

As for Calhoun, it was a no-brainer. Minus winning one more game he wasn't going to accomplish anything more at FSU. With his age it was time to go up. I think he will do well there. The leash won't be overly long and these next two years will tell the tale.

His last team at Fairmont would have demolished his first team at YSU ... like 30 points demolished. He's a good coach, though, and can build that quickly. He recruits very well to his system.

YSU is like Slippery Rock. Football rules the roost. Basketball is a novelty. He'll want 1-2 good years and then get out of there immediately.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You are correct. They aren't in any rush. This may ruffle feathers but when Jerrod Calhoun left Fairmont State for the Youngstown State job ... he was second choice. They courted Joe hard. He turned it down.

IUP is a better job. Way more secure, way better facilities, etc.
    As far as a job like Youngstown St, you'll never win there. That conference sends one team to the Big Tournament. The coaching salary isn't much more than IUP and IUP is in the state pension system. IUP can compete on the big stage every year and the cost of living is very low for the wage they make. The facilities are as good or better than a lot of low level D1's also. IUP in a winner when it comes to basketball.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

You are correct. They aren't in any rush. This may ruffle feathers but when Jerrod Calhoun left Fairmont State for the Youngstown State job ... he was second choice. They courted Joe hard. He turned it down.

IUP is a better job. Way more secure, way better facilities, etc.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

I don't know why anyone would be in a rush to leave as a coach from an IUP team, unless it's a situation like Mindy Richmond with lacrosse (hired to start a new program in Florida) or Curt Cignetti (an opportunity to jump to Division I). Speaking from a younger perspective, Indiana is a solid place to be. There are young people, old people, breweries, concerts, etc., so you can't be too surprised a Kelly Mazzante would want to stay. And who knows what her career aspirations are. But I would think every Division II AD in the region and even some of the Pittsburgh D-1's s would have to at least make that phone call feeler if there's an opening.

Tony C wrote the article before the IUP women's Final Four game against Ashland that Tom McConnell spent a day with Ashland's team because he wanted to go "from good to great." (https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...8301f1170.html). For what it's worth, Joe and Dom Lombardi -- a newly hired assistant at D-1 Morehead State -- were spotted at a Kentucky practice with John Calipari (via Twitter.)

ALSO, former men's assistant coach Joey Cantens is back from Europe and back at Florida Gulf Coast (Dunk City!) as an assistant.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I would estimate Tom's age at 57 and Kelly's at 36. Both are still quite young for their respective roles.

I still recall Tom at his introductory presser that he sounded like a man who viewed this as his final/destination job and it didn't sound like he was in any hurry to ride off into the sunset.

With his record of unparalleled program accomplishment after a mere five years on the job that can be considered a good thing for IUP.

They must work well together.

-
    At minimum I'd think Tom stays 5-6 more seasons.

There were some nights last year when the women out drew the men. I can't ever recall that happening.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

I would estimate Tom's age at 57 and Kelly's at 36. Both are still quite young for their respective roles.

I still recall Tom at his introductory presser that he sounded like a man who viewed this as his final/destination job and it didn't sound like he was in any hurry to ride off into the sunset.

With his record of unparalleled program accomplishment after a mere five years on the job that can be considered a good thing for IUP.

They must work well together.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Word is she isn't interested, for now anyway, in a head job and that she enjoys living in Indiana.

Could you call her the heir apparent to Tom? Hopefully. At this point she wouldn't have any trouble getting a head gig if she was looking for one. That said, I don't see Tom retiring anytime too soon. Both him and Joe have two of the best jobs in D2 - salary, facilities, support, etc.

I wonder if she lights the team up in practice.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Since we're talking about the IUP women, I'm very surprised Kelly Mazzante is still on staff. I thought she would have been gone last offseason and especially surprised no one scooped her up this offseason after the year IUP had. You have to almost assume she's getting offers, right? I mean she was the all-time leading scorer in the Big 10, played in the WNBA, has coached now for a couple years under a very well-regarded coach...

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Recall the IUP ladies beat Pitt last year.

I'm sure the Pitt brass was just thrilled. Suzie was canned after the season.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    It was announced today the IUP women's basketball team will play an exhibition at Ohio State on Sunday, Oct. 28. Coach McConnell mentioned it's only a four-hour trip from campus and an opportunity to play against an NCAA tournament team. They'll have almost two weeks of practice between that game and the season opener on Nov. 10.
    And they'll leave Columbus with more cash than it cost to make the trip which is always a plus.

Several years ago I recall Edinboro men's coach Pat Cleary telling me that they got paid several thousand dollars to take a 6 hour bus trip to play a Division I team. And Edinboro won.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

It was announced today the IUP women's basketball team will play an exhibition at Ohio State on Sunday, Oct. 28. Coach McConnell mentioned it's only a four-hour trip from campus and an opportunity to play against an NCAA tournament team. They'll have almost two weeks of practice between that game and the season opener on Nov. 10.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Wow. Brutal schedule in addition to the East Big 4.

Excited to see the kid from Concord in person. He put about 50 on Fairmont in the MEC Tournament. He's no joke.
    Saw him at concord versus wlu. Great scorer who can create his own shot inside or outside. Wlu had great game plan with intense pressure to deny him the ball, rotating multiple players on him. Monterosa gave him fits defensively. Basically wore him out so he did not beat us singlehandedly. He will get his points but you want him tired at crunch time.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Non-conference schedule finalized

IRMC/Hilton Garden Inn Classic
    Nov. 9 -- vs. Concord
    Nov. 10 -- vs. Virginia State

Nov. 14 -- Bowie State
    Nov. 19 -- Westminster

IUP Thanksgiving Invitational
    Nov. 23 -- Sciences
    Nov. 24 -- Le Moyne

Dec. 14 -- at Fairmont State

https://iupathletics.com/news/2018/6...-schedule.aspx

"Long-time reader, first-time poster," but the long-awaited full schedule is now finalized. Le Moyne is interesting, an NCAA team coached by a Beilein. Former IUP assistant coach and Robert Morris alum Jimmy Langhurst had been an assistant there, but he's not listed on this year's coaching staff (yet, possibly). Westminster is Division III, years removed from being an NAIA power, but they took Youngstown State to the wire last season (YSU isn't great, but it was still a D1 vs. D3 game in December).
    Both games in the IRMC Classic are scheduled for the KCAC, but that will probably change to the Friday night game in the Field House (and depending on if there's a volleyball game in the KCAC).
    Ironically the Westminster PG who smoked Youngstown State last year ... transferred to YSU after the season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Wow. Brutal schedule in addition to the East Big 4.

Excited to see the kid from Concord in person. He put about 50 on Fairmont in the MEC Tournament. He's no joke.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Non-conference schedule finalized

IRMC/Hilton Garden Inn Classic
    Nov. 9 -- vs. Concord
    Nov. 10 -- vs. Virginia State

Nov. 14 -- Bowie State
    Nov. 19 -- Westminster

IUP Thanksgiving Invitational
    Nov. 23 -- Sciences
    Nov. 24 -- Le Moyne

Dec. 14 -- at Fairmont State

https://iupathletics.com/news/2018/6...-schedule.aspx

"Long-time reader, first-time poster," but the long-awaited full schedule is now finalized. Le Moyne is interesting, an NCAA team coached by a Beilein. Former IUP assistant coach and Robert Morris alum Jimmy Langhurst had been an assistant there, but he's not listed on this year's coaching staff (yet, possibly). Westminster is Division III, years removed from being an NAIA power, but they took Youngstown State to the wire last season (YSU isn't great, but it was still a D1 vs. D3 game in December).
    Both games in the IRMC Classic are scheduled for the KCAC, but that will probably change to the Friday night game in the Field House (and depending on if there's a volleyball game in the KCAC).

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X