X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    They ran their press the last two years with Cobo at the top. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but Tevin Hanner was the perfect player to play at the top of a press. My favorite Tevin Hanner memory was a game where he got a tooth knocked out, brought it over to the bench, then kept playing.

I think while we're (...me) talking about pressing, what's been wrong with the IUP defense as a whole the last couple seasons? It seemed as though teams were scoring at will against IUP, which was uncommon. But the stats don't necessarily show that because, on average, IUP was right there near the top of the PSAC in team points per game against. I went back and looked at IUP's ppg against the last six seasons (and included the league leader for context) and there's definitely been an uptick in teams scoring against the Crimson Hawks. Is the big jump in points per game allowed from 2014-15 to 2015-16 because of the defensive leadership of someone like Devante Chance, or because that's about when everyone started watching Golden State and realizing space-and-pace is a great way to play basketball? I covered the team in 2013-14 for The Penn and I do remember at one point IUP was No. 1 in the nation in 3-point percentage against.

2017-18: IUP (27-3), 70.3 ppg
    - League leader: Mercyhurst, 65.5
    2016-17: IUP (28-4), 68.2 ppg
    - League leader: Slippery Rock, 65.0
    2015-16: IUP (21-8), 69.8 ppg
    - League leader: Mercyhurst, 60.3
    2014-15: IUP (31-7), 62.7 ppg
    - League leader: Gannon, 56.6
    2013-14: IUP (24-5), 60.3 ppg
    - League leader: Gannon, 60.3
    2012-13: IUP (26-6), 60.4 ppg
    - League leader: Gannon, 58.2

Can we credit the IUP defense getting 1.6 points per game better on defense in 2016-17 from the year prior to Devon Cottrell playing the full (and finally his last) season?

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

They ran their press the last two years with Cobo at the top. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but Tevin Hanner was the perfect player to play at the top of a press. My favorite Tevin Hanner memory was a game where he got a tooth knocked out, brought it over to the bench, then kept playing.

I think while we're (...me) talking about pressing, what's been wrong with the IUP defense as a whole the last couple seasons? It seemed as though teams were scoring at will against IUP, which was uncommon. But the stats don't necessarily show that because, on average, IUP was right there near the top of the PSAC in team points per game against. I went back and looked at IUP's ppg against the last six seasons (and included the league leader for context) and there's definitely been an uptick in teams scoring against the Crimson Hawks. Is the big jump in points per game allowed from 2014-15 to 2015-16 because of the defensive leadership of someone like Devante Chance, or because that's about when everyone started watching Golden State and realizing space-and-pace is a great way to play basketball? I covered the team in 2013-14 for The Penn and I do remember at one point IUP was No. 1 in the nation in 3-point percentage against.

Can we credit the IUP defense getting 1.6 points per game better on defense in 2016-17 from the year prior to Devon Cottrell playing the full (and finally his last) season?
    I certainly don't mean anything personal here against anyone. But there is a growing school of thought amongst IUP supporters that the IUP MBB team has dropped off quite noticeably since Bravado has installed his son into the lineup. Look at the stats that you have documented here. It all started when Dante got to campus and entered the starting lineup. If the coach wasn't insisting on playing his son then it is very likely that he would have a much better player in this spot such as a Devante Chance, a Ashton Smith, or a Kevin Stewart, et. al.

Those are the types of guys who get you to the Elite Eight and national title games. Not your undersized son. Okay, he's alright----but hardly in the class of some of the past backcourt players that Bravado has brought on board.

The best thing that can happen for IUP MBB at this time is for the son to graduate and have that spot opened up to a player that can really deliver the goods like some of the past greats.

What has IUP done the past three years with all of this going on? Pretty much a lot of nothing!

Again, I apologize. Nothing at all personal towards anyone.

-

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    It's actually a 1-2-2 press full court press. They've never been long enough to run a 1-3-1 press, maybe this year. We'll see but I'm not sure if that is in Joe's arsenal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

What press did they run in 2015 with Tevin Hanner at the top?
    It's actually a 1-2-2 press full court press. They've never been long enough to run a 1-3-1 press, maybe this year. We'll see but I'm not sure if that is in Joe's arsenal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

All about the point man in the 1-3-1 press. Hanner was superb. At 6'5" he could jump out of the building and was lightning quick.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Who uses a 1-3-1 press??? That bench will have plenty of scoring. Morrow averaged almost 13 points a game for Eckerd last year which was a sweet 16 team. Armoni was a better scorer than Malik is HS which tells me he'll produce too. I think they'll be fine!
    Certainly the IUP gals used it to often-devastating effect back in 2008-09 under Jeff Dow. They had the All-American Z Tracey sitting up at the top of it. It was savage. But you need a tall and supremely gifted athlete who can move to make it all go. It can be deadly when incorporated with all the proper ingredients.

I always liked those invented on the fly it seemed junk defenses that Gary Edwards came up with. They always seemed to work.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That was the last good press they ran !

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Who uses a 1-3-1 press??? That bench will have plenty of scoring. Morrow averaged almost 13 points a game for Eckerd last year which was a sweet 16 team. Armoni was a better scorer than Malik is HS which tells me he'll produce too. I think they'll be fine!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I'd be shocked if Dancsecs plays. He's a freshman and that is a perfect opportunity to redshirt with 4 other guards. Armoni and Malik can play some point. Ulrich redshirting is perfect!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Other school of thought is Joe's had horrifically bad depth issues the last three years. Perhaps he saw time for change.

I still think he saw this particular season as the big shot to go deep.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Other school of thought is Joe's had horrifically bad depth issues the last three years. Perhaps he saw time for change.

I still think he saw this particular season as the big shot to go deep.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Everybody wanted Humphries in the West. I think SRU was offering him his own dorm floor. Lol. Him and Keyes would start for about anybody. Keyes is legit. Nasty underneath.

All-star teams don't always work, however. The big rotation (if) would be Joe's first ever, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Is the three 6-9 players in the starting lineup what happens when West Liberty isn't the same boogeyman in the Atlantic Region now that Jim Crutchfield is gone? That type of lineup would make even Slippery Rock look small. I think they're still lacking in backcourt bench scoring, but Dante doesn't need to leave the floor much barring health or foul trouble. Just think of the 1-3-1 press you can put together with that lineup!

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Is the three 6-9 players in the starting lineup what happens when West Liberty isn't the same boogeyman in the Atlantic Region now that Jim Crutchfield is gone? That type of lineup would make even Slippery Rock look small. I think they're still lacking in backcourt bench scoring, but Dante doesn't need to leave the floor much barring health or foul trouble. Just think of the 1-3-1 press you can put together with that lineup!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X