• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPTrackMan
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Yeah, that is some really impressive size I freely admit. But doesn't it seem like year after year we get excited over some tall dudes and then they would be nothing more than chum in the water for the Mighty Webb who stood "only" 6-5 or 6-6. Let's see some of these guys prove something on the court. You gotta do a lot to be listed in the same category as legendary bigs like Webb or Mims.

-
    Also Stephens for SRU about 10 years ago was only about 6-3 and he was a beast

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Easy with the Taj Mahal comments. They'll read that and raise tickets to $28 next year. Lol.
    Good God! You're probably right. I drove by there this morning. Surprised they didn't bill me for that even.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Easy with the Taj Mahal comments. They'll read that and raise tickets to $28 next year. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

They've been playing one game at the Field House the past several years. I think it's kind of neat ... memory lane type thing.

Some of my favorite IUP games ever were over there. The KCAC has never come close to the crowd noise the MFH had.
    The KCAC is the Taj Mahal of D-II hoops arenas. That being said---God, I miss the Field House. I'd take it any day of the week.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

They've been playing one game at the Field House the past several years. I think it's kind of neat ... memory lane type thing.

Some of my favorite IUP games ever were over there. The KCAC has never come close to the crowd noise the MFH had.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Any games slated for the Field House?

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Bowie St Nov. 14 ??????

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

2018-19 'ANNOUNCED' schedule (as of June 20)

FRI 11/9 TBA (at IUP)
    SAT 11/10 TBA (at IUP)

WE'D 11/14 Bowie State

FRI 11/23 TBA (at IUP)
    SAT 11/24 TBA (at IUP)

SAT 12/1 at Kutztown
    SUN 12/2 at Millersville

SAT 12/8 Shippensburg

FRI 12/14 at Fairmont State

TUE 12/18 West Chester

WED 1/2 Gannon

Sat 1/5 UPJ

WED 1/9 at Mercyhurst

SAT 1/12 at Slippery Rock

WED 1/16 at East Stroudsburg

SAT 1/19 Edinboro

WED 1/23 California

SAT 1/26 at Clarion

WED 1/30 at Seton Hill

SAT 2/2 Mercyhurst

WED 2/6 Slippery Rock

SAT 2/9 at Gannon

WED 2/13 at UPJ

WED 2/20 Clarion

WED 2/27 at Edinboro

SAT 3/2 Seton Hill

* IUP draws the 'big four' of the East

* Catches a break ... game at SRU over their break

* Gannon AND Slippery Rock visit the KCAC on Wednesday nights ???????????? Wow. PSAC must not care about money.

* Gannon visit on Jan. 2 ----> big break for GU as there will be 400 townies there and no students.

* Brutal stretch near Christmas ... Ship, West Chester and Gannon at the KCAC and at Fairmont State

* Road trip to Seton Hill on Wednesday, Jan 31 should be quite interesting

* With all four top East teams and Fairmont State ... I don't expect to see much in the four tournament games scheduled for November as far as big-name opponents. I'd guess Urbana, U Sciences, etc.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 06-20-2018, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Hard to say. I've heard the rumblings of him riding in to the sunset. Then again, he's only 58 and IUP is a sweet gig.

This is a big year on several levels. First and foremost, expectations are very high. Joe has a pretty big hand to play. This has been the target year for a long time.

Secondly, it's become clear some have been turned off a bit the past three years. The depth thing has got real old. They've lost some fans ... and I'm not talking about the type who worry about the gate price. They've lost a ton of those, too.

I think for the first time in the Joe era he's also kind of got passed by here recently. Tort and Tom are both coming off Regional and Final Four appearances.

It's not like things have been catastrophic. Joe's gone 71-20 the past three seasons including a 57-9 record in PSAC play. He's also won three straight West titles and had three straight West Players of the Year.

But, despite those fancy numbers, they've only won one NCAA game and missed the dance twice. No PSAC titles, either.

The 'how' and 'why' is what has turned many off.

You can clearly argue the two NCAA misses came in Greensburg. The infamous 2015 upset loss and then the also infamous goon fest of this past season.

All three of the past three teams should have went dancing. Not a doubt in my mind they were all good enough. This past year was one bomb after another and the lack of depth finally was really exposed. Watching that PSAC Tournament game against Edinboro minus Dante and Glover was just painful. When Malik went down for a month he was replaced with a walk-on. It's been a constant issue.

In 2015 when Cottrell was lost for the season he was replaced with a walk-on they got from the intramural court. Still, with Norfleet and Daddy, that team was still very good. Everybody remembers the Seton Hill loss but don't forget the week before they blew a huge second half lead and lost at Slippery Rock.

This group has also lost some swagger in big games. I think this class addressed all those items.

I totally agree with you. Put the hammer down. No redshirts this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

That is some nice work there, IUPBigIndians. The depth issues the past couple of seasons have been completely unacceptable for the calibre of program that Bravado has built in his time at IUP. Using a six or seven man rotation simply does not work. I actually hope that none of these guys get redshirted. Time to turn the entire stable loose.

One thing that has drawn a fair amount of speculation is if this is Bravado's last stand at IUP. Some seem to think that he is gearing up for one final NCAA run and then will leave with Dante. I have no idea on any of that, but it certainly is a subject that has raised some conjecture.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The consensus around town seems to be the short rotation of the past just isn't working anymore. They've run in to major depth issues three straight seasons -- and missed two NCAAs because of it. Think about the past three seasons ... two of them had walk-ons playing major minutes in the final games of the season. Stuff happens but it should have never got to that point.

One big question will be if Joe is actually going to let all these imports play and not redshirt any of them. None of the four new guys have ever taken a redshirt year.

The post is getting a lot of the buzz. I don't care so much about the heights but rather what each brings to the table. Last year, hate to say it, they were kind of soft in the low post defensively. Willem came on as the year went a long.

What they add this year to go along with Cobo and Willem:

* Shawn Ulrich is 6'10" but doesn't play like it. Nasty rebounder and shot blocker. Ultra athletic. Shoots the trey. Very quick for his size. Plays very aggressive.

* Dom Keyes comes off redshirt after playing his freshman year at UPJ and then one season at Harford CC. Big-time rim protector at 6'8" and strong defender. His role won't be to score much.

* Marko Krivacevic, the 6'9" Duquesne transfer, was the exact piece this team needed. By all reports he's a bit of a hot head ... very intense and gets after you. Big rebounder and also shoots deep well.

* Jalen Vaughns is said to be the best athlete on the team -- and would put up 30 a game on the playground. His freshman year was, well, a freshman year. Nice thing with freshmen is they turn in to sophomores. He showed flashes of offense last season but seemed overwhelmed in the system. Recall he was added in (very) late August last summer. Late start. Lot of upside down the road.

Guards (new additions):

* Armoni Foster comes off redshirt (if it ever comes in to play, it will be a 'medical' redshirt as he was injured in camp last season). Big PG at 6'3" or so. He's a scorer by all accounts.

* Blake Morrow (6'4" SG) was the sixth man at Eckerd -- a very solid member of the SSC. Two years at IUP. Probably the first pure 'shooting guard' here in several years.

* Charles Humphries is probably the most intriguing member of the class. A former superstar at Aliquippa (and West Liberty recruit), he played two years of JUCO. He's not the 175 pounds he was two years ago. He's really developed and is probably in the 210-215 range to go with his 6'6" height. Big-time athlete. Instant (huge) upgrade on defense from the guard position. Likely to play a hybrid role at IUP and will be the point on the press.

How you blend all this talent together with returning players Cobo Diaz (likely preseason All-Everything), Dante Lombardi, Malik Miller and Willem, ... that's why Joe makes the big bucks. I think we all knew Joe wasn't taking any high school players in the this class. He's pretty set up for the next two years -- this upcoming season in particular.

The non-West schedule, what's known of it so far, is pretty challenging. Bowie, (at) Fairmont, and the Big 4 of the East. The opponents for IUP's two weekend tournaments haven't been announced yet. It will be interesting to see if Virginia State returns. Urbana has come for the past 5-6 years. U of Sciences usually does, too.

The roster is at 11 players right now (not counting a couple walk-ons).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Cobo and Dante never leave the floor, either.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Yeah, that is some really impressive size I freely admit. But doesn't it seem like year after year we get excited over some tall dudes and then they would be nothing more than chum in the water for the Mighty Webb who stood "only" 6-5 or 6-6. Let's see some of these guys prove something on the court. You gotta do a lot to be listed in the same category as legendary bigs like Webb or Mims.

-

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

2018-19 Roster

Guards

Dante Lombardi
    Malik Miller
    Blake Morrow
    Charles Humphries
    Armani Foster

Cobo Diaz (6'9")
    Dom Keyes (6'8")
    Willem Brandwijk (6'10")
    Marko Krivacevic (6'9")
    Jalen Vaughns (6'6")
    Shawn Ulrich (6'10")

That's Joe's "all-in" roster.
    They will look impressive walking through airports.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

2018-19 Roster

Guards

Dante Lombardi
    Malik Miller
    Blake Morrow
    Charles Humphries
    Armani Foster

Cobo Diaz (6'9")
    Dom Keyes (6'8")
    Willem Brandwijk (6'10")
    Marko Krivacevic (6'9")
    Jalen Vaughns (6'6")
    Shawn Ulrich (6'10")

That's Joe's "all-in" roster.

-

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X