X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

All about the point man in the 1-3-1 press. Hanner was superb. At 6'5" he could jump out of the building and was lightning quick.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Who uses a 1-3-1 press??? That bench will have plenty of scoring. Morrow averaged almost 13 points a game for Eckerd last year which was a sweet 16 team. Armoni was a better scorer than Malik is HS which tells me he'll produce too. I think they'll be fine!
    Certainly the IUP gals used it to often-devastating effect back in 2008-09 under Jeff Dow. They had the All-American Z Tracey sitting up at the top of it. It was savage. But you need a tall and supremely gifted athlete who can move to make it all go. It can be deadly when incorporated with all the proper ingredients.

I always liked those invented on the fly it seemed junk defenses that Gary Edwards came up with. They always seemed to work.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    What press did they run in 2015 with Tevin Hanner at the top?
    That was the last good press they ran !

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Who uses a 1-3-1 press??? That bench will have plenty of scoring. Morrow averaged almost 13 points a game for Eckerd last year which was a sweet 16 team. Armoni was a better scorer than Malik is HS which tells me he'll produce too. I think they'll be fine!
    What press did they run in 2015 with Tevin Hanner at the top?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I'd be shocked if Dancsecs plays. He's a freshman and that is a perfect opportunity to redshirt with 4 other guards. Armoni and Malik can play some point. Ulrich redshirting is perfect!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Other school of thought is Joe's had horrifically bad depth issues the last three years. Perhaps he saw time for change.

I still think he saw this particular season as the big shot to go deep.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Other school of thought is Joe's had horrifically bad depth issues the last three years. Perhaps he saw time for change.

I still think he saw this particular season as the big shot to go deep.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Everybody wanted Humphries in the West. I think SRU was offering him his own dorm floor. Lol. Him and Keyes would start for about anybody. Keyes is legit. Nasty underneath.

All-star teams don't always work, however. The big rotation (if) would be Joe's first ever, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Is the three 6-9 players in the starting lineup what happens when West Liberty isn't the same boogeyman in the Atlantic Region now that Jim Crutchfield is gone? That type of lineup would make even Slippery Rock look small. I think they're still lacking in backcourt bench scoring, but Dante doesn't need to leave the floor much barring health or foul trouble. Just think of the 1-3-1 press you can put together with that lineup!

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Is the three 6-9 players in the starting lineup what happens when West Liberty isn't the same boogeyman in the Atlantic Region now that Jim Crutchfield is gone? That type of lineup would make even Slippery Rock look small. I think they're still lacking in backcourt bench scoring, but Dante doesn't need to leave the floor much barring health or foul trouble. Just think of the 1-3-1 press you can put together with that lineup!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Who matches up against that???

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The article states the roster has 16 players.

Assumed Starting 5:

Cobo
    Krivacavic
    Willem
    Dante
    Malik

(known) Bench

Morrow
    Foster
    Dancsecs
    Keyes
    Humphries

(known) Redshirt
    Ulrich

(known) walk-on
    Glover Jr.

That's 12 players. Not mentioned from last year: Vaughns, Anthony White, Dylan Benton, Todd Fetsko -- with the latter three being walk-ons. White and Benton actually played (by force) more than typical Joe walk-ons so I'd assume they return. Fetsko was listed as a redshirt junior but I think he was only playing one year.

An exciting season awaits. That bench lineup could function on its own. Wonder if we'll see some 5-for-5 swaps this year. Not Joe's style but he's never had this many players, either.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Thanks, Chuck. Takes some of the summer guessing out of the way.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...9d703395d.html

Three 6'9" guys in the starting lineup ...

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

As far as a job like Youngstown St, you'll never win there. That conference sends one team to the Big Tournament. The coaching salary isn't much more than IUP and IUP is in the state pension system. IUP can compete on the big stage every year and the cost of living is very low for the wage they make. The facilities are as good or better than a lot of low level D1's also. IUP in a winner when it comes to basketball.
    Doesn't he already qualify for his pension? If so, he'd be getting his PA pension plus whatever his new coaching salary was...even if the new salary was the same as at IUP he'd be making more.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X