• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    One thing that has hurt Gannon is the Erie Bayhawks G-League team and to a lesser extent, the Erie Otters OHL team (especially when Connor McDavid played there from 2012-15).

Both teams play at the newly refurbished Erie Insurance Arena -- it is beautiful and a few blocks away from the Hammermill. The games are as much about the atmosphere and entertainment as they are basketball. Their marketing is robust and and they cater to the families. You never see young people or families with kids at Gannon -- they are all down the street at the EIA.
    Is Erie keeping their G-League franchise? I know they're affiliated with the Atlanta Hawks this season, but Atlanta's launching their own G-League affiliate in Atlanta for the 2019-2020 season.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm considering leaving Pittsburgh a bit early Wednesday and heading down to the Angelo Dome. Looks like a good doubleheader.

Any advice from you Vulcans on a good dining spot before the game? Is that bar/restaurant way up on the hill (overlooking town) still open?

Two years ago I remember getting in to town late and grabbing dinner at the student union. Campus food has come a long way compared to the slop in the late 90s.

I fully anticipate the men's game to be another tight one. Maybe IUP pulls away late. I've watched quite a few Cal games this year. They have some real nice offensive players who can score the ball.
    Even after three years living in the dump that is Cal Boro, I can't really recommend any good eats other than Dairy Queen or Subway - if either of them are still around.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

One thing that has hurt Gannon is the Erie Bayhawks G-League team and to a lesser extent, the Erie Otters OHL team (especially when Connor McDavid played there from 2012-15).

Both teams play at the newly refurbished Erie Insurance Arena -- it is beautiful and a few blocks away from the Hammermill. The games are as much about the atmosphere and entertainment as they are basketball. Their marketing is robust and and they cater to the families. You never see young people or families with kids at Gannon -- they are all down the street at the EIA.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's a factor in the total crowd but the students get in free. I'm not so much talking the gate but just the energy in the building.

You've been to several games. Most have the excitment of a nursing home.

They certainly need more townies to feel the place up better but the real juice comes from the students.

IUP aside, if you watch the live feeds from other schools in the PSAC ... there's nobody at these games. This game at Cal tomorrow night will have 200 people, maybe, in a 6,000 seat arena. I was at Cal last year with nobody within 13 rows of me ... in front or back. It was insane.

Gannon in the 80s and 90s ... my goodness. Place was a zoo. It barely gets 600 now.

Clarion, UPJ, Mercyhurst, Edinboro ... the numbers are just awful. I try and hit 5-6 road games a year. I've been to several with 50 people in the stands.

It's strange. At every West school (except the Taj Mahal in Indiana) it's a cheap night and a decently entertaining product.

It is a culture. And that culture is at rock bottom in the PSAC right now. It's a shame. The kids are missing out on a good show.

The KCAC just has that set up, sound system, a freaking bar ... man, could it rock if anybody cared -- or could afford to go. They've lost their minds.

Believe me I wasn't starting the IUP rant again ... I was just really impressed with Bellarmine. Envious, I guess.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-16-2018, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I watched most of the Southern Indiana at Bellarmine game last night.

Bellarmine is a really good team and won fairly easily against a solid USI team.

The atmosphere is what jumped out at me. Packed crowd ... in to the game ... loud. Great atmosphere. It really felt like watching a D1 crowd. Students stood the whole game.

They really get a legit home court advantage due to the '6th man' ...

It sure looked a bit different than PSAC games -- empty seatbacks and wooden bleachers galore.

They have an incredible culture there on game nights. We can't use the normal 'they're the only show in town' excuse, either, as they are second fiddle to Louisville.

I'll just never understand why the KCAC can't get an atmosphere like that one. I know there's been a few over the years but way too far and few in between.

The PSAC finals with Rock and Ship were great atmospheres. The SRU game three years ago was .. the infamous Gannon 'silent night' game was up there. Not too many others come to mind.

That place was rocking last night.
    As has been noted many, many times on this forum--- the place to start would be ticket and concession prices. Many of the folks that I have talked to around the area want absolutely no part of what the KCAC is selling them.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Bart's post had some good points. It also got me curious to compare it to Pittsburgh.

I pulled last years numbers. Robert Morris averaged about 1,000 a game. Duquesne was at 1,200. In comparison IUP did 1,500 a game last season but is barely over 800 so far this year. The other D1, St.. Francis, did about 850 a game. Not bad for Loretto.

I agree on the culture. Bellarmine looked like it was the place to be. I don't know ... maybe that's a rivalry night and I tuned in on the right night. I get the vibe, though, that's always a hot ticket.

Conversely, Louisville did 22,000 per home game last year. That's nuts. That's a basketball crazy area, too.

It looked awsome ... like the D2 Cameron Indoor.

Hopefully Pitt gets that atmosphere back again some day. WVU games are pretty nuts.

The announced gate at Bellarmine last night was just under 2,000. I don't know how accurate but it was the energy that sold me. That would be a real tough place for visitors.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-16-2018, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I think it's campus culture. The level that students actually want to be there is correlated to the level that they support it. We're all little brother schools to Penn State and other perceived "major" schools. Students aren't proud to go here so they don't support it as such. Bellarmine students want to be there and they support the school. Students who would rather be attending Penn State cheer for Penn State while paying tuition somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

The obvious is the population of Louisville can support several teams. It seems many small private schools get support from the faculty, students, and locals because their identities are tied with the school; something akin to local high school football. My experience indicates most D3 basketball programs in the area outdraw the D2 programs.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I watched most of the Southern Indiana at Bellarmine game last night.

Bellarmine is a really good team and won fairly easily against a solid USI team.

The atmosphere is what jumped out at me. Packed crowd ... in to the game ... loud. Great atmosphere. It really felt like watching a D1 crowd. Students stood the whole game.

They really get a legit home court advantage due to the '6th man' ...

It sure looked a bit different than PSAC games -- empty seatbacks and wooden bleachers galore.

They have an incredible culture there on game nights. We can't use the normal 'they're the only show in town' excuse, either, as they are second fiddle to Louisville.

I'll just never understand why the KCAC can't get an atmosphere like that one. I know there's been a few over the years but way too far and few in between.

The PSAC finals with Rock and Ship were great atmospheres. The SRU game three years ago was .. the infamous Gannon 'silent night' game was up there. Not too many others come to mind.

That place was rocking last night.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I'm considering leaving Pittsburgh a bit early Wednesday and heading down to the Angelo Dome. Looks like a good doubleheader.

Any advice from you Vulcans on a good dining spot before the game? Is that bar/restaurant way up on the hill (overlooking town) still open?

Two years ago I remember getting in to town late and grabbing dinner at the student union. Campus food has come a long way compared to the slop in the late 90s.

I fully anticipate the men's game to be another tight one. Maybe IUP pulls away late. I've watched quite a few Cal games this year. They have some real nice offensive players who can score the ball.

Leave a comment:

• VoiceOfReason
    replied

I think they got a better look, no doubt, but Cleary was trying to call a TO & in that situation, the trail official has to be aware of the situation

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The last play ... at the 1.8 second mark ... you can see the Edinboro players in the screen. None signaled for a timeout. I don't think coaches can call them anymore. Tell you what ... that last shot they tossed up just about when down. That was a good look for just having 1.8 to work with ...

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/p...reamType=video

Leave a comment:

• VoiceOfReason
    replied

Just like football in the PSAC, the refs have too much impact on the game.

How isn't a TO a given after Lombadri makes that shot?

Everyone in the building knew a TO was coming, except the trail ref who would be responsible for awarding it?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X