X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I’m hoping that, since we know he reads or is at least aware of this board, Joe is just trolling us in regards to Romero-Sanz. It’s certainly worked on me. I’ve never seen the guy do anything and I’ve talked more about him than any new arrival to the team since I started following IUP basketball 30+ years ago.
    Joe reads this board because he's referenced it a few times. I know he's quoted myself and BigIndians in the past. I swear he does stuff just to erk me, especially this KJ love he has.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Joe's obviously had a ton of success, but, by far, my opinion, his biggest flaw (or, weakness) has been this whole redshirt thing paired with playing such a small rotation yearly. He far too often runs these teams in to the ground by February. Pair that with chaos (i.e. walk-ons) typically following any injuries. If last year wasn't the prime example ...

It's a different world now than when he started at IUP.

I fully get Joe's logic in redshirting Denzel Kabasele this year. He'd be the 5th guard (no-man's land in Joe's rotation). However, maybe it's time to play more guys and not destroy your starters' legs by Valentine's Day. This is a big, physical guard who has played two successful years of JUCO. If Watson also reshirts, I'd assume that would make Jaylen Stewart the backup PG.

As for Romero-Sanz, I can't fathom not playing him this year. That is, unless the plan is to play Ethan 38 mpg and get him tapped out by the second half. That post is very shaky and not that big without Romero-Sanz. Brooks should have a nice year but I'd be shocked if they get more than 15 mpg out of him. Waldo is a nice prospect but is going to have major struggles against the big, physical forwards. He can't be more than 175 lbs. I'm not further piling on KJ but if he's actually in the 'post player' rotation, this is going to be a long season. If you're going to play a 6'4" forward in this league, he best be Jermaine Hall (Cal).

They don't need Romero-Sanz to be some offensive savior this season. They just need him to be a big, physical body in there to bang and rebound. He's a solid 6'8" to 6'9" and easily 225 to 230 pounds.

Joe has 14 guys on the roster. If he redshirts Watson, Kabasele and Lambert (true freshman PG), that puts the 'dress list' down to 11 players (including walk-ons).

Hell, he hasn't redshirted Ethan or Dallis yet. Cross your fingers.
    I’m hoping that, since we know he reads or is at least aware of this board, Joe is just trolling us in regards to Romero-Sanz. It’s certainly worked on me. I’ve never seen the guy do anything and I’ve talked more about him than any new arrival to the team since I started following IUP basketball 30+ years ago.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    So we’ll know something eight days from now. IUP should create a basketball themed reality show, “Tracksuit or Uniform?”
    Joe's obviously had a ton of success, but, by far, my opinion, his biggest flaw (or, weakness) has been this whole redshirt thing paired with playing such a small rotation yearly. He far too often runs these teams in to the ground by February. Pair that with chaos (i.e. walk-ons) typically following any injuries. If last year wasn't the prime example ...

It's a different world now than when he started at IUP.

I fully get Joe's logic in redshirting Denzel Kabasele this year. He'd be the 5th guard (no-man's land in Joe's rotation). However, maybe it's time to play more guys and not destroy your starters' legs by Valentine's Day. This is a big, physical guard who has played two successful years of JUCO. If Watson also reshirts, I'd assume that would make Jaylen Stewart the backup PG.

As for Romero-Sanz, I can't fathom not playing him this year. That is, unless the plan is to play Ethan 38 mpg and get him tapped out by the second half. That post is very shaky and not that big without Romero-Sanz. Brooks should have a nice year but I'd be shocked if they get more than 15 mpg out of him. Waldo is a nice prospect but is going to have major struggles against the big, physical forwards. He can't be more than 175 lbs. I'm not further piling on KJ but if he's actually in the 'post player' rotation, this is going to be a long season. If you're going to play a 6'4" forward in this league, he best be Jermaine Hall (Cal).

They don't need Romero-Sanz to be some offensive savior this season. They just need him to be a big, physical body in there to bang and rebound. He's a solid 6'8" to 6'9" and easily 225 to 230 pounds.

Joe has 14 guys on the roster. If he redshirts Watson, Kabasele and Lambert (true freshman PG), that puts the 'dress list' down to 11 players (including walk-ons).

Hell, he hasn't redshirted Ethan or Dallis yet. Cross your fingers.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    So we’ll know something eight days from now. IUP should create a basketball themed reality show, “Tracksuit or Uniform?”

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Denzel and Watson red shirted. Unclear whether Romero-Sanz will be however he is definitely one for the future. Garvin and Josh are the ones to watch. Probably more rotation than Joe would like. Very unpredictable season
    I figured Watson was but was surprised when Tony mentioned him in his article.

Denzel seemed pegged as the fifth guard, which under Joe means you don't actually play.

He needs to play Romero-Sanz this year. No questions asked. Raw or not. They need some bulk.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. No guarantee he'll be here in a year or two.

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    Denzel and Watson red shirted. Unclear whether Romero-Sanz will be however he is definitely one for the future. Garvin and Josh are the ones to watch. Probably more rotation than Joe would like. Very unpredictable season

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I guess the issue I have here is that some of this is exactly what we were discussing last year in regards to Joe's approach and his unwillingness to adapt. His ace in the hole was never having a "down" season because he would bring in 3 or so guys with the intent that one wouldn't dress for their first year. You can't do that anymore. These guys can transfer the first time they sneeze now. I'm not sure what he's saving him for. Load up and go for it. I see no reason to keep Romero-Sanz in street clothes. You're essentially playing 7 guys at this point given the limitations of KJ.
    If Romero-Sanz is indeed redshirting, I think there could be some real validity to Eyeofthehawks’s point that maybe Joe has some buyer’s remorse. I’m trying to think if he’s ever brought in a foreign born player directly from their home (not a transfer from another school in the states) redshirted them, and then they’ve stuck around to contribute. Dating back to Marcel, I think those guys pretty much always contribute right away or we never see much, if any, of them on the court. Maybe I’m forgetting someone.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

The Gazette article didn't specifically say Romero-Sanz or Denzel were redshirting. However, it named the starters and then the 'rotation' ... and neither were mentioned.

Given Joe's history, that sounds like redshirt to me.

Being Brooks has Daddy Syndrome with fouling, and Waldo is 6'7" but looks about 165 lbs, well, that leaves the 6'4" KJ underneath. Christ, they'll need Ethan to play 38 mpg.

Romero-Sanz is a big dude. He's as tall as EP and ripped. It's hard to believe they can't use him this year at least in a reserve roll.

Joe's KJ fandom is well documented but, well, ...

If that's the case, they'd be more effective with four guards and EP. Joe's guards are all big.

Although, Damir was just a redshirt freshman last year. Hopefully he's improved his hacking.
    I guess the issue I have here is that some of this is exactly what we were discussing last year in regards to Joe's approach and his unwillingness to adapt. His ace in the hole was never having a "down" season because he would bring in 3 or so guys with the intent that one wouldn't dress for their first year. You can't do that anymore. These guys can transfer the first time they sneeze now. I'm not sure what he's saving him for. Load up and go for it. I see no reason to keep Romero-Sanz in street clothes. You're essentially playing 7 guys at this point given the limitations of KJ.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I'm not beyond 4 guards and getting up and down the floor attacking the rim/other teams bigs BUT Ethan is a touch slow to be doing that with 4 guards.
    Who knows. Soon enough. Joe's kind of famous for not revealing much in these mini previews in the Gazette.

Seems this year, more than most, he's keeping his cards close to the vest.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Obviously the nightmare situation is if EP gets in foul trouble (which, granted, doesn't happen often).

I think the Brooks/Waldo combination will work. Brooks is more the banger and high-flyer/rebounder, and Waldo is more your finesses SF. Swapping them in an out should work well and force defenses to adjust. Waldo has a very nice outside shot and is very quick for his 6'7" size. Obviously Brooks is a ground/pound forward. I do think Brooks projects to be a bigger/stronger version of Tevin Hanner -- although, he has a long way to go on the defensive end.

So, as long as EP stays clean (and healthy), I fully expect he goes 33-35 mpg. Granted, I think he'd be more effective at 28-29 mpg. But, the drop-off when he goes out to KJ coming in is pretty substantial on both ends, obviously.

I still wouldn't rule out this four guards and EP in stretches. There's some rumors. I'll leave it at that. This Perreno kid is legit ... too legit to be sitting for very long.
    I'm not beyond 4 guards and getting up and down the floor attacking the rim/other teams bigs BUT Ethan is a touch slow to be doing that with 4 guards.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Let's not forget, Cobo didn't start early his freshman year. He was extremely raw defensively. I remember at Hurst his freshman year, he got back cut on three plays in a row and Joe flipped his **** on him. Cobo panned out on defensive as he played more. Some of these younger guys need the experience. We know what KJ is and it's not high end caliber.

Obviously the nightmare situation is if EP gets in foul trouble (which, granted, doesn't happen often).

I think the Brooks/Waldo combination will work. Brooks is more the banger and high-flyer/rebounder, and Waldo is more your finesses SF. Swapping them in an out should work well and force defenses to adjust. Waldo has a very nice outside shot and is very quick for his 6'7" size. Obviously Brooks is a ground/pound forward. I do think Brooks projects to be a bigger/stronger version of Tevin Hanner -- although, he has a long way to go on the defensive end.

So, as long as EP stays clean (and healthy), I fully expect he goes 33-35 mpg. Granted, I think he'd be more effective at 28-29 mpg. But, the drop-off when he goes out to KJ coming in is pretty substantial on both ends, obviously.

I still wouldn't rule out this four guards and EP in stretches. There's some rumors. I'll leave it at that. This Perreno kid is legit ... too legit to be sitting for very long.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Let's not forget, Cobo didn't start early his freshman year. He was extremely raw defensively. I remember at Hurst his freshman year, he got back cut on three plays in a row and Joe flipped his **** on him. Cobo panned out on defensive as he played more. Some of these younger guys need the experience. We know what KJ is and it's not high end caliber.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

True. Sometimes you get Cobo or Tomiwa, other times you get Australians who never pan out. It’s the risk of recruiting foreign players at this level. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.
    The Gazette article didn't specifically say Romero-Sanz or Denzel were redshirting. However, it named the starters and then the 'rotation' ... and neither were mentioned.

Given Joe's history, that sounds like redshirt to me.

Being Brooks has Daddy Syndrome with fouling, and Waldo is 6'7" but looks about 165 lbs, well, that leaves the 6'4" KJ underneath. Christ, they'll need Ethan to play 38 mpg.

Romero-Sanz is a big dude. He's as tall as EP and ripped. It's hard to believe they can't use him this year at least in a reserve roll.

Joe's KJ fandom is well documented but, well, ...

If that's the case, they'd be more effective with four guards and EP. Joe's guards are all big.

Although, Damir was just a redshirt freshman last year. Hopefully he's improved his hacking.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-31-2023, 05:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I’m guessing he wasn’t the player in person that he looked like on video? If they thought he could contribute meaningfully this year I’m guessing they would play him. Maybe there are other things he’s not adjusting to. Hard to say but still a bit surprising. They are very thin up front.
    True. Sometimes you get Cobo or Tomiwa, other times you get Australians who never pan out. It’s the risk of recruiting foreign players at this level. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Yeah I don’t get it. From the moment he signed, just reading his measurements and experience I assumed he’d start immediately, not just play.

This is shaping up to be an…..interesting year.
    I’m guessing he wasn’t the player in person that he looked like on video? If they thought he could contribute meaningfully this year I’m guessing they would play him. Maybe there are other things he’s not adjusting to. Hard to say but still a bit surprising. They are very thin up front.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X