X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Really? Two years ago was the best West in history. Cal finished fourth in the West and made the Regional Final. We all forget how many wars IUP has been in with UPJ over the past decade. IUP's beat them all but two times, but those have been some classic battles.

SRU has also had some strong teams over the past decade -- in particular in the Micah Till years. IUP lost several games up in Morrow. This should be Clarion's best team in probably 20 years. I don't look for them to contend but they won't be an easy out.

Last year the West was pretty bad. IUP wasn't nearly as good as its record indicated. Some of us said that all year but others didn't listen. Joe's team was hard to watch from around the middle of January until the end. They kept winning. No argument there. But, a perceived Top 5 team shouldn't have been in dog fights night after night against the peasants of the division. The IUP team from November and December didn't even resemble the IUP team from mid-January forward. IUP and Mercyhurst both got smacked by West Liberty in March.

The last time Cal was actually hyped up was probably in the early 2000s -- at the end of their long run.

As for Joe, yes, he lost some to the portal. But, aside from Tomiwa, I don't think he actually lost much, transfer-wise. Would it have been nice to have Kyle Polce stay and be the 9th or 10th guy? Perhaps. But, when he wasn't injured, he was often in Joe's dog house. Jaheim Bethea wasn't going to fit in Joe's system. Joe knew it early and sent him to the deep bench for the last 20-some games. The others were walk-ons. He needed an addition by subtraction off-season.

Don't forget Gannon. It's a matter of time. Hopefully it's just not this year. But, I have a hunch they are going to be pretty decent.

I do look for UPJ to take a step back this year. They'll be extremely young. But, they won't be a dumpster fire. Seton Hill has a nice core but took some heavy portal losses. Edinboro may be historically bad.
    The league as a whole seemed a little down last year. In the East I thought East Stroud seemed to have the most overall talent, but they had some puzzling performances. They showed up against Ship, but couldn't handle West Chester or Lock Haven. Ship managed to win the division, but they had an odd roster with obvious strength in the three-headed Carter, Johnson, and Sleva monster, but nobody with much playing experience at guard, which cost them dearly in the East Stroud games and on a few other occasions. Two weird, excruciating losses to Millersville probably put the nail in the coffin for playoff hopes, but yet Ship handled West Chester and Lock Haven relatively easily. And yet West Chester and Lock Haven had wins over East Stroud and Millersville. A strange year in the East.

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied

Really? Two years ago was the best West in history. Cal finished fourth in the West and made the Regional Final. We all forget how many wars IUP has been in with UPJ over the past decade. IUP's beat them all but two times, but those have been some classic battles.

SRU has also had some strong teams over the past decade -- in particular in the Micah Till years. IUP lost several games up in Morrow. This should be Clarion's best team in probably 20 years. I don't look for them to contend but they won't be an easy out.

Last year the West was pretty bad. IUP wasn't nearly as good as its record indicated. Some of us said that all year but others didn't listen. Joe's team was hard to watch from around the middle of January until the end. They kept winning. No argument there. But, a perceived Top 5 team shouldn't have been in dog fights night after night against the peasants of the division. The IUP team from November and December didn't even resemble the IUP team from mid-January forward. IUP and Mercyhurst both got smacked by West Liberty in March.

The last time Cal was actually hyped up was probably in the early 2000s -- at the end of their long run.

As for Joe, yes, he lost some to the portal. But, aside from Tomiwa, I don't think he actually lost much, transfer-wise. Would it have been nice to have Kyle Polce stay and be the 9th or 10th guy? Perhaps. But, when he wasn't injured, he was often in Joe's dog house. Jaheim Bethea wasn't going to fit in Joe's system. Joe knew it early and sent him to the deep bench for the last 20-some games. The others were walk-ons. He needed an addition by subtraction off-season.

Don't forget Gannon. It's a matter of time. Hopefully it's just not this year. But, I have a hunch they are going to be pretty decent.

I do look for UPJ to take a step back this year. They'll be extremely young. But, they won't be a dumpster fire. Seton Hill has a nice core but took some heavy portal losses. Edinboro may be historically bad.
    I’m more with IUP24 on this one. There has been essentially little to no parity in the West the last 4 seasons.

IUP: 80-7
    Mercyhurst: 67-20

Those are the conference records over the last four full seasons, which excludes 2020-21. 2021-22 was an exception with Cal, and then there’s been some solid UPJ and Slippery Rock squads, but even in that 2021-22 season, the standings don’t really bare out any type of parity.

Like you mentioned, Cal made the Sweet 16 after coming in 4th, but Mercyhurst made the Elite Eight in 2018-19 after coming in 3rd, and that year had three or four poor teams in the division, so I’m not sure that’s a good indication of a competitive, balanced league. I actually thought the PSAC this past year was solid- West Liberty was just on a different level in the tournament. I don’t think Mercyhurst or IUP played particularly well against them, but they were also superior to both teams.

Unless Joe’s got some late August magic, I think this year ends up much different due to the reasons outlined above. Both perennial powers have had a lot of turnover, so I think they have a much better chance of losing games to UPJ, Slippery Rock, Seton Hill, Gannon. But that might have as much to do with IUP and Mercyhurst not being Top 5/20 teams as much as it has to do with the other teams getting substantially better.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like people have been saying that for a long time. And every year, it's just... not. It's IUP and Mercyhurst. The west hasn't really been more than either of those two for a long time.

This isn't the first time people have hyped up Cal either. That's happened before too.

What's your definition of a gauntlet? IUP, Mercyhurst (who had turnover, but like IUP, will eventually be okay), and Cal? I guess my feeling is that those two plus Cal was what the league was two years ago.

We seem to talk about the potential for an upstart SRU team that is, "nasty," every other year. Never materializes.

I'm not saying that I don't think teams could be better, but I will believe the "gauntlet" idea when I see. I've seen this movie far too many times before.

That said... I'm extremely reserved on any expectation for Joe's flock this year. They could really be good. They could also not gel and things could go south. They had more turnover than almost every other team in the Atlantic Region. And sure, maybe some of those guys weren't asked back, but no business is going to function better the next day immediately after parting ways and replacing 70% of their staff.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    There's been a little buzz around town that Joe may have a late addition to the upcoming roster. Nothing confirmed yet. As usual, they'll be the last to post the roster and schedule.

Kind of a strange feeling for August ... not quite sure what to expect this season. I think this team could be pretty good by January or so. The hype of past years isn't here. It's all shifted over to the football side. Maybe that's a good thing.

I do think Joe brought in a good class and was pretty selective on the transfers. They added some specific skill sets -- a natural PG, a proven SG, a big, defensive guard. He addressed a lot of major needs -- weaknesses from a year ago.

This team should be night and day faster than last year. But, it's still a lot of new pieces. Ethan looks like he's back to his old self. He was a warrior last year but probably played at 60% the whole season. Damir Brooks had a big off-season -- and physically looks like he should be starting at DE for Tort. Dolan Waldo is likely to be Joe's next breakout star at the SF position.

This team is entering the season with the most unknowns since the 'island of misfit toys' team back in '15-'16. While they haven't announced any exhibition games yet, I sure hope they play at least one (preferably two). These guys need some time together against opponents they don't know. It's a very deep and talented roster -- take that for whatever you may under Joe's coaching style. I suspect some growing pains could lie ahead in November. If he can get them all on the same page by the time West play starts ... never know. We'll see. The West is going to be a gauntlet (unlike last year).

IUP also isn't the favorite in the West this year for the first time in forever. That's good. I think they lost a little chip last year.
    I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like people have been saying that for a long time. And every year, it's just... not. It's IUP and Mercyhurst. The west hasn't really been more than either of those two for a long time.

This isn't the first time people have hyped up Cal either. That's happened before too.

What's your definition of a gauntlet? IUP, Mercyhurst (who had turnover, but like IUP, will eventually be okay), and Cal? I guess my feeling is that those two plus Cal was what the league was two years ago.

We seem to talk about the potential for an upstart SRU team that is, "nasty," every other year. Never materializes.

I'm not saying that I don't think teams could be better, but I will believe the "gauntlet" idea when I see. I've seen this movie far too many times before.

That said... I'm extremely reserved on any expectation for Joe's flock this year. They could really be good. They could also not gel and things could go south. They had more turnover than almost every other team in the Atlantic Region. And sure, maybe some of those guys weren't asked back, but no business is going to function better the next day immediately after parting ways and replacing 70% of their staff.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

ND was a nice find. They are typically a pretty strong program. It will be nice to see some fresh faces.

I haven't heard of IUP playing any exhibitions yet. That's odd for Joe. Of course, they may just not be announced yet. Even if they get beat on by some ACC school it will help come opening night. Lot of new faces in that locker room.
    I wouldn't classify NDC as a "strong" team. They are roughly a .500 team which in the MEC isn't bad. I would call them a "scarry" team. Seems that at least once or twice a year they turn into giant killers and put the smack down on a really good MEC squad. BUUUTTTT...As a replacement for AB...big step up!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There's been a little buzz around town that Joe may have a late addition to the upcoming roster. Nothing confirmed yet. As usual, they'll be the last to post the roster and schedule.

Kind of a strange feeling for August ... not quite sure what to expect this season. I think this team could be pretty good by January or so. The hype of past years isn't here. It's all shifted over to the football side. Maybe that's a good thing.

I do think Joe brought in a good class and was pretty selective on the transfers. They added some specific skill sets -- a natural PG, a proven SG, a big, defensive guard. He addressed a lot of major needs -- weaknesses from a year ago.

This team should be night and day faster than last year. But, it's still a lot of new pieces. Ethan looks like he's back to his old self. He was a warrior last year but probably played at 60% the whole season. Damir Brooks had a big off-season -- and physically looks like he should be starting at DE for Tort. Dolan Waldo is likely to be Joe's next breakout star at the SF position.

This team is entering the season with the most unknowns since the 'island of misfit toys' team back in '15-'16. While they haven't announced any exhibition games yet, I sure hope they play at least one (preferably two). These guys need some time together against opponents they don't know. It's a very deep and talented roster -- take that for whatever you may under Joe's coaching style. I suspect some growing pains could lie ahead in November. If he can get them all on the same page by the time West play starts ... never know. We'll see. The West is going to be a gauntlet (unlike last year).

IUP also isn't the favorite in the West this year for the first time in forever. That's good. I think they lost a little chip last year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Those are 4 teams with very good coaches. Should be good basketball, but imho IUP has too much firepower.
    Concord hasn't posted its roster yet but I recall they took some major losses (same with UPJ).

Regardless, Concord typically has a good showing up here. They've come to this tip-off several years in a row now.

May is entertaining. He'd fit in well in the West.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Notre Dame (OH) has replaced Alderson Broaddus in IUP's tip-off weekend.

ND will play UPJ the first night and IUP the second night. Concord is the other participant.
    Those are 4 teams with very good coaches. Should be good basketball, but imho IUP has too much firepower.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Nice that they were able to find another D2 opponent at such a late date.
    ND was a nice find. They are typically a pretty strong program. It will be nice to see some fresh faces.

I haven't heard of IUP playing any exhibitions yet. That's odd for Joe. Of course, they may just not be announced yet. Even if they get beat on by some ACC school it will help come opening night. Lot of new faces in that locker room.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

ND will play UPJ the first night and IUP the second night. Concord is the other participant.
    Nice that they were able to find another D2 opponent at such a late date.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Is that equally as bad as Edinboro asking its former basketball coach to fundraise half his salary?
    Well, that certainly isn't a great situation, but it sounded as if they were trying to basically fundraise for the whole school at AB.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Two items:

* Steve P. was officially announced as the assistant this morning

* K.J. was shown in the Twitter video working out so that ends that mystery. He's returning.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Looking at the Cathedral Prep HS Twitter feed, it looks like their head coach Steve Piotrowicz is coming back to IUP to be Joe’s assistant again.

Im not sure I like this hire.

If I was Joe, the 'no-brainer' hire to be my top assistant would be Chuckie Humphries. He lives in Indiana. He can still practice (a trait Joe loves in assistants). He's great with people and would be an excellent recruiter. He knows the system and program.

Perhaps Chuckie isn't interested but it seems like a no-brainer.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

When you're apparently soliciting donations from alumni to meet payroll that certainly isn't a good sign.
    Is that equally as bad as Edinboro asking its former basketball coach to fundraise half his salary?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X