X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I am intrigued by Bethea. I hope he gets a serious opportunity next year and has a real role. I think he has a lot of upside and can grow into a really nice player. I think it was dumb of Joe to have burned the year, but it doesn’t really matter at this stage of college sports anyways.
    Well I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Add to it that way less high school players are signing with D1 programs. I mean, dramatically less. D1's are taking the quick fix method (portal). So those spots are getting taken.

We then get better players here in the bush league ... for a duration.

So, yes, a minor league of sorts is forming.
    Yep...DII coaches have been very reluctant to take steps that would decrease the value of their players to D1. Thought being I guess is if you don't want to be here, we don't want you. I understand the centament but the reality of the situation "on the ground" has changed. While there is not a lot a DII coach can do, there are SOME things they can do to poison the well so to speak. Like I said, stars going to transfer, but coaches can take steps to limit the transfer potential for non-star type players.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yeah...I think DII coaches need to rethink how they do redshirts. Kind of like the football equiv of special team players. Play the freshmen enough to burn a year and thereby eat a year that might entice a D1 then, if necessary, "redshirt" them their Soph or even Junior year.. Might be a different discussion bring an unproven guy with four years in as opposed to one with three (or perhaps two) years in.

Stars are going to go no matter how you structure their careers at your school, but the "second tier" careers can be manipulated. He11, D1's manipulate the college playing careers of their players all the time...time DII coaches learned to play by the new rules as well.

Either that, or the top tier DII's becomes a "minor league" or "farm team" for D1's. "We're just happy to have you here in Pawtucket banging homers until the "big club" calls for you!"
    Add to it that way less high school players are signing with D1 programs. I mean, dramatically less. D1's are taking the quick fix method (portal). So those spots are getting taken.

We then get better players here in the bush league ... for a duration.

So, yes, a minor league of sorts is forming.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

So true. Saving a year these days often means saving it so it can be used by some other coach at some other institution later. So may as well use 'em while you got 'em.
    Yeah...I think DII coaches need to rethink how they do redshirts. Kind of like the football equiv of special team players. Play the freshmen enough to burn a year and thereby eat a year that might entice a D1 then, if necessary, "redshirt" them their Soph or even Junior year.. Might be a different discussion bring an unproven guy with four years in as opposed to one with three (or perhaps two) years in.

Stars are going to go no matter how you structure their careers at your school, but the "second tier" careers can be manipulated. He11, D1's manipulate the college playing careers of their players all the time...time DII coaches learned to play by the new rules as well.

Either that, or the top tier DII's becomes a "minor league" or "farm team" for D1's. "We're just happy to have you here in Pawtucket banging homers until the "big club" calls for you!"
    Last edited by boatcapt; 04-07-2023, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Relax, there are a lot of roster spots to fill. I’m just glad no silent nights will be planned.
    It’s disappointing that there’s not a group of students on campus to plan things like that anymore and help to promote the program for free amongst the student body.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    So where did the Brit land?
    He hasn't committed anywhere yet. I would suspect he will soon.

You can't play around with mid-major offers while in the portal. In some cases they offer you and 4-5 other guys for your position. First one to sign gets the spot. It's a much more cut-throat world of recruiting than D2. Players sign without ever visiting the school or meeting the coach in person. It's crazy.

I know a player who personally went through it last year. The coach gave him 24 hours. The player thought he was being told a fib (i.e. car salesman trick) to get him to sign quickly. Turns out the coach wasn't lying. They pulled the offer the next day and signed another player at the position.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    So where did the Brit land?

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Tomiwa was the major loss. The rest of the portal entries are basically irrelevant and easily replaceable. Hate to be so blunt but that's the reality. Polce and Bethea, my opinion, got screwed over and we all saw those two leaving. Diop and the walk-ons ... so be it.

As of this moment Joe has five strong players in the program. Total. So, we're now looking at 8 new players.

All I can say is not every thing is as it seems. Not all those who left did so on their own accord.

View the upcoming, new roster before making judgements. You may like what you see. Trust me. Addition by subtraction.
    College sports at the D2 level has become a tough business. Coaches want their scholarships to produce results or good-bye, and the transfer portal supports that model.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

How many of those guys have time left outside of more than one year? The one-year import isn't Joe's style. And I don't think it should be at this point. I recognize he may not see the end of the next recruiting class's 4-year cycle, but he could also be in a position where everybody is going to be gone with no reinforcements on the way in a year or two if he only brings in one-year guys. Again, I get that he may not care about what the roster looks like in a couple years when he hangs it up, but I also don't want the team to simply fall off a cliff.

I don't think the team is going into next year anywhere close to what it was this year. I am not worrying, but right now it isn't a deep March team (IMO). Although, a ton changes between now and October. And even more changes during the season. He hit gold with Morris and Jones being multi-year transfers that could grown in the program over time. I'd like to see something closer to that approach. But he may not want to do that anymore because, like I said, he may not be the coach for the end of their careers. At the same time, maybe he's accepted that despite the culture, facilities, and success, you aren't keeping great players in Indiana with the portal/NIL era, so just bring in one-year mercenaries and hope for the best.
    Tomiwa was the major loss. The rest of the portal entries are basically irrelevant and easily replaceable. Hate to be so blunt but that's the reality. Polce and Bethea, my opinion, got screwed over and we all saw those two leaving. Diop and the walk-ons ... so be it.

As of this moment Joe has five strong players in the program. Total. So, we're now looking at 8 new players.

All I can say is not every thing is as it seems. Not all those who left did so on their own accord.

View the upcoming, new roster before making judgements. You may like what you see. Trust me. Addition by subtraction.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

How many of those guys have time left outside of more than one year? The one-year import isn't Joe's style. And I don't think it should be at this point. I recognize he may not see the end of the next recruiting class's 4-year cycle, but he could also be in a position where everybody is going to be gone with no reinforcements on the way in a year or two if he only brings in one-year guys. Again, I get that he may not care about what the roster looks like in a couple years when he hangs it up, but I also don't want the team to simply fall off a cliff.

I don't think the team is going into next year anywhere close to what it was this year. I am not worrying, but right now it isn't a deep March team (IMO). Although, a ton changes between now and October. And even more changes during the season. He hit gold with Morris and Jones being multi-year transfers that could grown in the program over time. I'd like to see something closer to that approach. But he may not want to do that anymore because, like I said, he may not be the coach for the end of their careers. At the same time, maybe he's accepted that despite the culture, facilities, and success, you aren't keeping great players in Indiana with the portal/NIL era, so just bring in one-year mercenaries and hope for the best.
    Relax, there are a lot of roster spots to fill. I’m just glad no silent nights will be planned.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Well, we never got an answer why Jaylen Stewart was going to redshirt right up until he wasn't going to redshirt (10 games in to the season). That whole situation didn't make sense then (and still doesn't). Bethea has upside. He's very smooth with the ball and is physically strong for his age. He has potential to be a great defender. Offensively, Joe kept him in diapers all year (well, up until he vanished) so we'll have to wait and see.

It's going to be an interesting summer and upcoming season. There isn't a Malik Miller, Armoni Foster, David Morris, Shawndale Jones, etc., returning.

What is returning is a solid core. But, these next 4 players to join the program are going to tell the tale for '23-'24.

Lombardi didn't have a great year -- actual 'coaching' wise. Yes, I know he went 32-2 this year. I also know just about every coach in the PSAC could have won 25 games with that roster. I don't think Joe personally had a great season. The players were the reason that team didn't have 6-7 losses. They kept finding ways and won several games down the stretch they probably shouldn't have. Joe's once finely-tuned, half-court offense was in shambles starting in early January. They couldn't hit the side of a barn from outside yet he kept having them fire up 30-some treys a night -- often hitting just 5 or 6 of them. The whole league knew they were in a deep shooting funk. The offense then (mid-January) evolved in to some form of hybrid AAU meets playground bastard child. It was chuck a trey or drive the hole out of control and see what happened. What bailed them out, game after game, was Ethan and Tomiwa cleaning up all the garbage. Joe also refused to use his bench (nothing new) even though for once he actually had a quality bench. Some of us on here kept eluding there were serious problems, but the winning masked those things almost the whole season.

The challenge for Joe (and I'm not sure he's had many challenges in the past five years) is going to be blending this new team together. This is the first off-season in forever that IUP isn't heading in to the upcoming season as the West favorite. But, it shouldn't be a rebuild year. Re-tool, for sure, but not rebuild. With the right transfer imports, he can be in the mix next year.

But, this isn't a sit back and wait off-season. They aren't just looking for the right (1) piece to add. They need several and need to be real aggressive. October gets here fast.

I'd say Joe's starting lineup in early November is as follows:

PG - transfer OTW
    G - Dallis Dillard
    G - Jaylen Stewart
    F - Ethan Porterfield
    F - transfer OTW

Bench rotation:

F - Damir Brooks
    F - Dolan Waldo
    G - Jaheim Bethea
    G - transfer OTW
    Utility - KJ Rhodes

My personal wish-list of (PSAC) targets (hint: some of these guys may have visited already):

F - Tim Smith Jr. (formerly of Cal and Walsh ... big, physical post player with a nice outside shot ... had a big game against IUP last year ... one year left ... Day 1 starter who would be a terror paired with a healthy Porterfield)

F - Fray Nguimbi (formerly of Clarion ... very physical defensive forward and great rebounder ... three years' eligibility ... pest to play against ... dirty work)

F - Pipeloluwa Ajayi (formerly of Mercyhurst ... OK, this is the wishful thinking hope)

F - Kyle Whippen (formerly of the Atlantic Region ... solid player but IUP doesn't have room for the duo ... he'd have to come alone)

G - Kyle McGee (guard from West Chester ... perhaps Target No. 1 ... so I hear)

G - Michael Bradley (PG from Mercyhurst ... if he stays in D2, IUP has a shot)

G - Chris Clancey (SG formerly of Gannon ... would fit perfectly in the Pratapas role and be a sniper off the bench)

G - Gerald Jarmon (formerly of Clarion ... explosive scorer who was stuck on a bad team most of his career ... could be a big asset surrounded by more talent)

Joe's going to have to sell some of these guys on coming off the bench. That may not be easy. The players above, while IUP is recruiting some of them, are just names familiar from the PSAC. They are likely looking at players from other conferences and levels, too.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I am intrigued by Bethea. I hope he gets a serious opportunity next year and has a real role. I think he has a lot of upside and can grow into a really nice player. I think it was dumb of Joe to have burned the year, but it doesn’t really matter at this stage of college sports anyways.
    Well, we never got an answer why Jaylen Stewart was going to redshirt right up until he wasn't going to redshirt (10 games in to the season). That whole situation didn't make sense then (and still doesn't). Bethea has upside. He's very smooth with the ball and is physically strong for his age. He has potential to be a great defender. Offensively, Joe kept him in diapers all year (well, up until he vanished) so we'll have to wait and see.

It's going to be an interesting summer and upcoming season. There isn't a Malik Miller, Armoni Foster, David Morris, Shawndale Jones, etc., returning.

What is returning is a solid core. But, these next 4 players to join the program are going to tell the tale for '23-'24.

Lombardi didn't have a great year -- actual 'coaching' wise. Yes, I know he went 32-2 this year. I also know just about every coach in the PSAC could have won 25 games with that roster. I don't think Joe personally had a great season. The players were the reason that team didn't have 6-7 losses. They kept finding ways and won several games down the stretch they probably shouldn't have. Joe's once finely-tuned, half-court offense was in shambles starting in early January. They couldn't hit the side of a barn from outside yet he kept having them fire up 30-some treys a night -- often hitting just 5 or 6 of them. The whole league knew they were in a deep shooting funk. The offense then (mid-January) evolved in to some form of hybrid AAU meets playground bastard child. It was chuck a trey or drive the hole out of control and see what happened. What bailed them out, game after game, was Ethan and Tomiwa cleaning up all the garbage. Joe also refused to use his bench (nothing new) even though for once he actually had a quality bench. Some of us on here kept eluding there were serious problems, but the winning masked those things almost the whole season.

The challenge for Joe (and I'm not sure he's had many challenges in the past five years) is going to be blending this new team together. This is the first off-season in forever that IUP isn't heading in to the upcoming season as the West favorite. But, it shouldn't be a rebuild year. Re-tool, for sure, but not rebuild. With the right transfer imports, he can be in the mix next year.

But, this isn't a sit back and wait off-season. They aren't just looking for the right (1) piece to add. They need several and need to be real aggressive. October gets here fast.

I'd say Joe's starting lineup in early November is as follows:

PG - transfer OTW
    G - Dallis Dillard
    G - Jaylen Stewart
    F - Ethan Porterfield
    F - transfer OTW

Bench rotation:

F - Damir Brooks
    F - Dolan Waldo
    G - Jaheim Bethea
    G - transfer OTW
    Utility - KJ Rhodes

My personal wish-list of (PSAC) targets (hint: some of these guys may have visited already):

F - Tim Smith Jr. (formerly of Cal and Walsh ... big, physical post player with a nice outside shot ... had a big game against IUP last year ... one year left ... Day 1 starter who would be a terror paired with a healthy Porterfield)

F - Fray Nguimbi (formerly of Clarion ... very physical defensive forward and great rebounder ... three years' eligibility ... pest to play against ... dirty work)

F - Pipeloluwa Ajayi (formerly of Mercyhurst ... OK, this is the wishful thinking hope)

F - Kyle Whippen (formerly of the Atlantic Region ... solid player but IUP doesn't have room for the duo ... he'd have to come alone)

G - Kyle McGee (guard from West Chester ... perhaps Target No. 1 ... so I hear)

G - Michael Bradley (PG from Mercyhurst ... if he stays in D2, IUP has a shot)

G - Chris Clancey (SG formerly of Gannon ... would fit perfectly in the Pratapas role and be a sniper off the bench)

G - Gerald Jarmon (formerly of Clarion ... explosive scorer who was stuck on a bad team most of his career ... could be a big asset surrounded by more talent)

Joe's going to have to sell some of these guys on coming off the bench. That may not be easy. The players above, while IUP is recruiting some of them, are just names familiar from the PSAC. They are likely looking at players from other conferences and levels, too.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    I think it was dumb of Joe to have burned the year, but it doesn’t really matter at this stage of college sports anyways.
    So true. Saving a year these days often means saving it so it can be used by some other coach at some other institution later. So may as well use 'em while you got 'em.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Now that some have graduated, others have been asked to leave and the rest transferred:

Returning (active roster as of April 5):

Jaylen Stewart (G)
    Dallis Dillard (G)
    KJ Rhodes (Utility)
    Jaheim Bethea (G)
    Ethan Porterfield (F)
    Damir Brooks (F)
    Dolan Waldo (F)
    Eric Branch (high school recruit)

Some very interesting (and very familiar, high-profile PSAC D2) names have visited the past two weeks. Word in town is Joe is going to sign 4-5 transfers. It should be an entertaining next couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied
    Now that some have graduated, others have been asked to leave and the rest transferred:

Returning (active roster as of April 5):

Jaylen Stewart (G)
    Dallis Dillard (G)
    KJ Rhodes (Utility)
    Jaheim Bethea (G)
    Ethan Porterfield (F)
    Damir Brooks (F)
    Dolan Waldo (F)
    Eric Branch (high school recruit)

Some very interesting (and very familiar, high-profile PSAC D2) names have visited the past two weeks. Word in town is Joe is going to sign 4-5 transfers. It should be an entertaining next couple of weeks.
    Any specifics? There’s only a couple I can think of that make any sense.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X