Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    So ...

The MEC, CIAA and Presidents' Athletic Conference (Western PA D3) are all going to play.

Yet ... the PSAC is not.

It does, however, seem Clarion, Mercyhurst and Gannon are going to play basketball.
    Feel bad for players. Some teams were national contenders. Mortality rate for young people is extremely low according to ohio covid case data. I understand not having fans, wearing masks, social distancing, testing etc.
    but to cancel season when vaccines are in pipeline?

teams who try to play outside psac may face challenges. Mec is only allowing in conference schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Feel bad for players. Some teams were national contenders. Mortality rate for young people is extremely low according to ohio covid case data. I understand not having fans, wearing masks, social distancing, testing etc.
      but to cancel season when vaccines are in pipeline?

teams who try to play outside psac may face challenges. Mec is only allowing in conference schedule.
      Sounds like that was IUP's reasoning for not playing. Nobody to play.

I guess they could have played Gannon, Mercyhurst and Clarion 8 times each. lol.

Then again, not even IUP fans have the stomach to watch 8 games against Mercyhurst.

I really thought the six to accept were going to be IUP, Ship, Cal, Mercyhurst, Gannon and Seton Hill.

Comment

So ...

The MEC, CIAA and Presidents' Athletic Conference (Western PA D3) are all going to play.

Yet ... the PSAC is not.

It does, however, seem Clarion, Mercyhurst and Gannon are going to play basketball.
        Interesting. I note that with the demise of Urbana, the MEC concevably has one two game "hole" in its "conference only schedule. Wouldn't it be interesting to have Mercyhurst as an associate basketball member for a year!

Heck...bring the PSAC 3 in and the MEC could break into N/S divisions with 7 teams in each division, each team plays a home and home against its other 6 division members, one game vs each of the other division teams...That would be 19 regular season games then bracket them all up for a four round battle royale at WesBank Arena!!

MEC North
        NDC
        Clarion
        Hurst
        Gannon
        WLU
        Wheeling
        Fairmont

MEC South
        Frostburg
        UC
        WVS
        D&E
        Glenville
        Concord
        WVW

The north would be the heavy hitter with three national programs!

Comment

• Keep an eye on the transfer portal ... already hearing of mid-year transfers from many PSAC programs.

That's what happens when everybody else around you plays and you do not.

Comment

Keep an eye on the transfer portal ... already hearing of mid-year transfers from many PSAC programs.

That's what happens when everybody else around you plays and you do not.
            That is a shame. For many athletes, Basketball is such a large part of their lives

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

That is a shame. For many athletes, Basketball is such a large part of their lives
              We'll see what happens. The D1 season is already off to a horrific start. Hopefully they get to play for more than a couple weeks.

Comment

We'll see what happens. The D1 season is already off to a horrific start. Hopefully they get to play for more than a couple weeks.
                I have been out of the loop. I did just see where Kentucky Wesleyan played a home game last night and plans on playing some home games against some G-MAC teams in December along with some exhibitions with Murray State. It appears that the G-MAC schools are playing a full conference schedule. I am guessing that the G-MAC being a league comprised of private schools that may be driving the boat. A lot of private colleges depend on athletics to bolster enrollment.

Comment

• Not that it matters this year but Slippery Rock posted its roster. Looks like the recruiting haul was (4) high school players and (1) JUCO.

You can really see the change in philosophy under Ian Grady compared to the KR era. This is two straight high school-heavy classes. The roster is also now void of the monsters of the past era. No more 6'9", 265 lb forwards. He seems to be targeting more of the slender small forward types.

The obvious main change is you actually see the same names on the roster from the year prior. It's no longer a new team every year.

Comment

• Mercyhurst WBB is playing,
                    Gannon is trying to
                    Both schools have their new (20/21) rosters posted

Comment

• As of 12:01 a.m. this morning zero spectators are allowed at college or pro sports in PA.

High School sports, which were to start today, are shutdown until Jan. 4.

Many other restrictions were imposed by Gov. Wolf but those are the two sports-related items.

Comment

As of 12:01 a.m. this morning zero spectators are allowed at college or pro sports in PA.

High School sports, which were to start today, are shutdown until Jan. 4.

Many other restrictions were imposed by Gov. Wolf but those are the two sports-related items.
                        Its for the best. My wife's hometown felt they were remote enough to be safe. Nobody was wearing masks, enforcing them, and school was going as usual. Around 25 cumulative cases and the only PA county without deaths. Then last weekend they hosted a "Christmas in the Wilds" festival with a parade and all the typical holiday events. They've added 26 cases and 2 deaths this week and that's only reporting through Thursday. The reason I share it is because that town is similar in size to a college campus (~2,500 people), rural, and probably similar attendance at events. It sucks but we'll survive. Remember most sports didn't play during WW2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Its for the best. My wife's hometown felt they were remote enough to be safe. Nobody was wearing masks, enforcing them, and school was going as usual. Around 25 cumulative cases and the only PA county without deaths. Then last weekend they hosted a "Christmas in the Wilds" festival with a parade and all the typical holiday events. They've added 26 cases and 2 deaths this week and that's only reporting through Thursday. The reason I share it is because that town is similar in size to a college campus (~2,500 people), rural, and probably similar attendance at events. It sucks but we'll survive. Remember most sports didn't play during WW2.

Yep. I thought having no D2 football season would be more difficult than it was. Life goes on. I just found other things to do on Saturday afternoons ... probably more productive.

I have a cabin near Cook Forest. That was a different world up there this summer. That place was PACKED all summer. My place is pretty remote and private so it didn't bother me much. But, that whole area was like a different vibe. Essentially the virus didn't exist there (in the way people acted). It was just another summer season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                            Mercyhurst WBB is playing,
                            Gannon is trying to
                            Both schools have their new (20/21) rosters posted
                            OLD NEWS!!!

Comment

• Mercyhurst played a weekend double-header against then-No. 11 Ferris State.

The Lakers won both -- easily -- 78-41 and 87-57.

As of now, the Lakers have no remaining games scheduled. Although, you'd surely think they'll play Gannon several times.

Clarion and Gannon still show no games scheduled (Clarion does appear on Salem's schedule for a double-header in late January).
                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-15-2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• I'll say this... I do believe Ferris was missing quite a few bodies over the weekend. Tough to gage those wins.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X