Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    I went to Edinboro at SRU last night. The women’s game was interesting. My wife wanted to go and Edinboro has a 10 point lead when we arrive in 3Qtr. Stays that way for a long time. Between 3rd and 4th there is a long delay because the shot clock on the Edinboro end is not working . They take forever trying to fix it without luck so they turnoff both shot clocks and decide the PA announcer will count down the last 10 secs. At one point I think in the early 4th SRU takes the lead, might been as many as 4pts. Callie takes TO and soon Boro regains the lead and hang on for the W.

Between games they have a technician up on the actual shot clock display presumably connecting a wire. Neither team can warm up. Finally it is back and the game continues normally. It made for a long night. At halftime with 6 min to go I checked the IUP score and they only had 6 min left in the actual game. My wife is thrilled she picked this game to join me.

Edinboro played better than expected. Cleary acted like expected. Grady is as calm as can be for a PSAC coach (definitely the total opposite of KReynolds). After the first 8 minutes of the game the refs were on pace to call 48 fouls. SRU doesn’t play well together but they have some pieces. SRU must have had 12 dunks showing their superior athleticism in tight spaces. Boro did have the lead at times due to a strong defensive effort. Their freshman Guard from Franklin HS is a good shooter. He’s going to be like #12 from Mercyhurst as he ages. Gallagher is a tough and smart player. They’re one big (#22) has some skill but needs more strength.

SRU got a little banged up in this game. Britt is not 100% after getting leveled on a drive with no foul. He played through a limp. #5 also got a bit of a charleyhorse on his left quad. SRU was very disjoint. Grady doesn’t have them playing together very well. I wondered if he was trying to be generic prior to IUP or if this is just a lineup of talented but misfit teammates. They are pretty deep.

That was probably the classic trap game for SRU. They know what's coming -- and it's a brutal stretch.

The Rock travels to Johnstown in 48 hours, turns around and hosts a tough Lock Haven on Monday and then has IUP's visit next Wednesday.

This is a real key three-game set for them. They very well could lose all three.

I suspect they are going to enter a hornets' nest up at UPJ. The Mountain Cats should be a pretty feisty bunch after losing two straight.

But, make no mistake, SRU will be for IUP's visit. Morrow will be packed. They always play IUP tough up there. Hopefully the weather is good so IUP can get some fans in the building.

IUP is also entering a tough stretch with Cal, (at) Edinboro, (at) SRU and East Stroudsburg. That's a tough 8 days. Don't let Cal's record fool you ... that is going to be a tough one on Saturday.

Comment

• Updated MEN'S Standings

--
      TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
      IUP 10-0 16-0 W16
      Mercyhurst 8-2 12-2 W3
      Pitt-Johnstown 7-3 11-5 L2
      Slippery Rock 6-4 12-4 W1
      Seton Hill 5-5 10-6 W4
      California 4-6 7-9 L1
      Edinboro 2-7 4-11 L5
      Clarion 0-10 2-13 L11
      Gannon 0-10 0-14 L14

Comment

I went to Edinboro at SRU last night. The women’s game was interesting. My wife wanted to go and Edinboro has a 10 point lead when we arrive in 3Qtr. Stays that way for a long time. Between 3rd and 4th there is a long delay because the shot clock on the Edinboro end is not working . They take forever trying to fix it without luck so they turnoff both shot clocks and decide the PA announcer will count down the last 10 secs. At one point I think in the early 4th SRU takes the lead, might been as many as 4pts. Callie takes TO and soon Boro regains the lead and hang on for the W.

Between games they have a technician up on the actual shot clock display presumably connecting a wire. Neither team can warm up. Finally it is back and the game continues normally. It made for a long night. At halftime with 6 min to go I checked the IUP score and they only had 6 min left in the actual game. My wife is thrilled she picked this game to join me.

Edinboro played better than expected. Cleary acted like expected. Grady is as calm as can be for a PSAC coach (definitely the total opposite of KReynolds). After the first 8 minutes of the game the refs were on pace to call 48 fouls. SRU doesn’t play well together but they have some pieces. SRU must have had 12 dunks showing their superior athleticism in tight spaces. Boro did have the lead at times due to a strong defensive effort. Their freshman Guard from Franklin HS is a good shooter. He’s going to be like #12 from Mercyhurst as he ages. Gallagher is a tough and smart player. They’re one big (#22) has some skill but needs more strength.

SRU got a little banged up in this game. Britt is not 100% after getting leveled on a drive with no foul. He played through a limp. #5 also got a bit of a charleyhorse on his left quad. SRU was very disjoint. Grady doesn’t have them playing together very well. I wondered if he was trying to be generic prior to IUP or if this is just a lineup of talented but misfit teammates. They are pretty deep.
        Aww man I wish I had known. Was there too and would have said hello.

Cleary really takes it personally when there's a foul calling disadvantage. He was pretty heated up early on but calmed down.

I agree that Edinboro is probably one piece away from being MUCH better. #22 had some bone headed errors (dribble off the shoe) and could get more aggressive. Keyes is very good but attracts fouls too soon. Fulmer is going to be very good and seems to be very popular with the locals. He could have been a star at the Rock. Gallagher plays much better and more mature than I thought he would.

Big difference is resources. Morrow is old but has been refreshed several times. McComb has received little more than lipstick in the last 40 years. Grady has almost twice the scholarships. Boro admins pushed a very wealthy basketball alum to fund academic programs instead of basketball. 39% male enrollment makes it very hard to put money into men's programs. Hard to finish on top when you're on the bottom in resources.

Comment

• We have a big Saturday tomorrow in the West.

Edinboro at Clarion - If the Golden Eagles, winless in PSAC play, have any hopes of making the conference tournament, tomorrow is a must win. Currently two games behind Edinboro for the final spot, a home loss tomorrow will make it extremely difficult (likely impossible) for Clarion to play beyond the regular season. The good news is this is potentially a winnable game. The Fighting Scots, despite hanging around most nights, have dropped 5 in a row. Clarion also plays much better inside Tippin. Clarion's guards, swallowed up by the IUP defensive pressure, should have much more free reign tomorrow. Vegas says this is a tough one to pick. So tough, in fact, the line is PICK 'EM

Slippery Rock at Pitt-Johnstown - The Rock better be ready. They are likely going to get an irritated Mountain Cats' group coming off back-to-back losses. This is the start of a brutal three-game stretch for SRU. This pairing has slowly developed an intense rivalry. Over the past 17 meetings, UPJ holds a narrow, 10-7 advantage (UPJ swept 3 tight games a year ago). Slippery Rock's issue this year has been consistency. When the Rock plays together, it is tough to beat. However, they've shown multiple instances of reverting to individual-style basketball. If they do the latter against the ultra-disciplined UPJ, they will get blown out of the Sports Center. Vegas says UPJ's methodical, low-mistake style will be too much -- not to mention UPJ is really tough in Johnstown. Mountain Cats -8.5

Bloomsburg at Seton Hill - On paper, a red-hot Griffins' team should smash the winless Huskies. They very well may do so. But, buried in the standings is the fact Bloomsburg has been playing pretty well as of late -- and, has done so against some strong teams. Vegas says this game could be close for a half, but Seton Hill will eventually pull away. Griffins -13.5

California at IUP - For those who have followed this series for decades, IUP's current 18-game winning streak is probably hard to believe. In fact, IUP has won 24 of the past 26 meetings, with Cal's last win (under then coach Bill Brown) coming all the way back on January 18, 2014. That rare, IUP Saturday night home loss was a major upset. There's no question this years' Vulcans are enduring a disappointing, 7-9 season. Credit to Danny Sancomb, however, because despite all the injuries, this group hasn't folded. California is fresh off a 1-point loss to Mercyhurst. After going 0-4 against IUP last season, including a loss in the Regional Final, its probably safe to say they've been waiting for this one. IUP tends to get visiting stars in foul trouble. If any Vulcans' starter gets in said foul trouble, it will be very bad news for the visitors. California's starters are very strong, but the bench is very short. So short, in fact, the Vulcans' current rotation is about 6 players deep. As Cal just showed against a very tough Mercyhurst, though, they can hang. Vegas says this will be a tight game for 30-34 minutes. IUP pulls away late in the second half. Crimson Hawks -7.5

Gannon at Mercyhurst - The lone PSAC game in primetime, well, probably has lost its primetime appeal. But, you never know in a rivalry game. The Golden Knights, no doubt, are better than their 0-14 record would suggest. Gannon was in complete control -- and up double digits over Millersville -- with just under 4 minutes to play this past Wednesday. Then, of course, fittingly to this season, the Golden Knights had a total meltdown and gave up a 17-4 run to close (lose) the game. The Marauders called on a late press, and it appeared Gannon had never seen a press. They will tomorrow. Gary Manchel doesn't miss a beat. This won't be of the classic 'first to 45' fold. If Gannon isn't dialed in, the Lakers could hang a big number. The Knights' big guy, Zach Kent, could have a huge game in this one -- if he can keep his head on straight. The untold element of the Mercyhurst defense is to frustrate its opponent. Kent is easily frustrated. Vegas says this may be a bit closer than most expect. Lakers -9.5
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-20-2023, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Cleary really takes it personally when there's a foul calling disadvantage. He was pretty heated up early on but calmed down.

I agree that Edinboro is probably one piece away from being MUCH better. #22 had some bone headed errors (dribble off the shoe) and could get more aggressive. Keyes is very good but attracts fouls too soon. Fulmer is going to be very good and seems to be very popular with the locals. He could have been a star at the Rock. Gallagher plays much better and more mature than I thought he would.

Big difference is resources. Morrow is old but has been refreshed several times. McComb has received little more than lipstick in the last 40 years. Grady has almost twice the scholarships. Boro admins pushed a very wealthy basketball alum to fund academic programs instead of basketball. 39% male enrollment makes it very hard to put money into men's programs. Hard to finish on top when you're on the bottom in resources.

I'll always wonder what could have been with Keyes at IUP. I still have absolutely no idea why Joe redshirted him his first year here.

Hard to believe but his freshman year at UPJ was back in 15-16. He's still a headache to deal with under the basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'll always wonder what could have been with Keyes at IUP. I still have absolutely no idea why Joe redshirted him his first year here.

Hard to believe but his freshman year at UPJ was back in 15-16. He's still a headache to deal with under the basket.
              Makes me wonder if it was an eligibility thing either grades, credits, or the D2 to D2 transfer.

Comment

• Updated MEN'S Standings

--
                TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                IUP 11-0 17-0 W17
                Mercyhurst 9-2 13-2 W4
                Pitt-Johnstown 8-3 12-5 W1
                Slippery Rock 6-5 12-5 L1
                Seton Hill 6-5 11-6 W5
                California 4-7 7-10 L2
                Edinboro 3-8 5-11 W1
                Clarion 0-11 2-14 L12
                Gannon 0-11 0-15 L15

Comment

Updated MEN'S Standings

--
                  TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                  IUP 11-0 17-0 W17
                  Mercyhurst 9-2 13-2 W4
                  Pitt-Johnstown 8-3 12-5 W1
                  Slippery Rock 6-5 12-5 L1
                  Seton Hill 6-5 11-6 W5
                  California 4-7 7-10 L2
                  Edinboro 3-8 5-11 W1
                  Clarion 0-11 2-14 L12
                  Gannon 0-11 0-15 L15
                  Amazing that every year you have squads like UPJ and SRU, etc., have great and fast starts to the west schedule, but when the calendar gets closer to turning to February, it's always Joe and Gary at the top. Amazing how consistently dominant those two have been in the division.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Amazing that every year you have squads like UPJ and SRU, etc., have great and fast starts to the west schedule, but when the calendar gets closer to turning to February, it's always Joe and Gary at the top. Amazing how consistently dominant those two have been in the division.
                    Not so surprising IUP stays up there. Good coaching, great facility for Division II, and more money than most PSAC schools direct at the program. You'd have to be an idiot to fail there right now, and Lombardi is about as far from an idiot as it gets in the conference. They are having an exceptional run these past few years.

Comment

Yes, it would have been nice to meet up. I might make it to McCombs this season. I haven’t been there since maybe 2017 or 2018. I’ve always liked your gym.

If that defensive effort continues, there should be a few W’s coming.

Comment

Yes, it would have been nice to meet up. I might make it to McCombs this season. I haven’t been there since maybe 2017 or 2018. I’ve always liked your gym.

If that defensive effort continues, there should be a few W’s coming.
                        Yeah they'll go 1-2 this week. Might be able to knock down Cal or Seton Hill.

Comment

Yeah they'll go 1-2 this week. Might be able to knock down Cal or Seton Hill.
                          Three games in 6 days is a b@tch.

Comment

And actually it's four games in eight days, which is even a bigger one.

Comment

• Lots to process heading in to this 3-game week. Some areas are expected to get blasted with winter storms this week so we'll see if all these games actually get played.

IUP - Tough week for the Crimson Hawks with back-to-back road trips to start things off. In theory, tonight's trip to McComb is the light game of the week but IUP has had some tussles up there over the years at Edinboro. Except, that is, the year they played in Edinboro's practice uniforms. They clobbered them that memorable night. Some claim the equipment manager is still locked up in the basement of McComb. This is the middle game between two big games so a trap-ish type performance is possible. Wednesday's trip to Morrow Field House -- already deemed the White Out -- is always a thrilling, last-minute win - or, a debacle. East Stroudsburg's visit Saturday is obviously a huge one. Prediction: Not going to be easy, but IUP keeps getting the nod until they lose. 3-0

Mercyhurst - The Lakers have tough games to start and end the week, with a trip to Clarion in the middle. Mercyhurst has a tough trip to Johnstown tonight, followed by red-hot Seton Hill visiting the MAC this weekend. The Lakers have won 4 straight since losing at IUP. Prediction: 2-1

Pitt-Johnstown - UPJ got back on track with a tight win against Slippery Rock. The celebration will be short-lived with Mercyhurst coming to town tonight. The Mountain Cats go on the road the rest of the week with trips to Edinboro and California. UPJ has to win tonight to realistically stay in contention for the West. A loss tonight would put them four games behind IUP and two games behind Mercyhurst. Prediction: Tough call. Vegas says 2-1.

Slippery Rock - The Rock lost a heartbreaker in Johnstown 48 hours ago. Things get no easier tonight (Lock Haven) but at least it is in Morrow Field House. IUP visits Wednesday prior to a trip to Clarion on Saturday. Prediction: SRU is hard to predict. Vegas says 2-1.

Seton Hill - The Griffins are hot again -- winners of five straight. This is a tough week, however. California visits Greensburg tonight and the Vulcans aren't an easy out. Seton Hill then has back-to-back trips to Erie. The Griffins will play at Gannon and then at Mercyhurst. The Knights aren't a pushover and everybody knows the MAC isn't a friendly place. Prediction: SH has to get this one tonight but Cal is going to cause them some matchup issues. Look for a 1-2 week. Cal gets the mild upset tonight in McKenna.

California - The Vulcans make the short trip to Greensburg tonight before returning home to face Mansfield and Pitt-Johnstown. This is an interesting week. Cal is probably an underdog in two of the three but is capable of a 3-0 week. Prediction: The Vulcans are capable of going on a run. Look for a 2-1 week.

Edinboro - Not an easy week for the Fighting Scots. Two home games to start things off, but the guests are IUP and UPJ. A short trip to Gannon follows. Prediction: The Scots will be competitive for probably 22-24 minutes against UPJ and IUP. Gannon is a toss-up. Vegas says 1-2 (but could be 0-3).

Clarion - The Golden Eagles host three games this week inside Tippin. There's some pressure tonight against Gannon. No team ever wants to be another teams' first win. Mercyhurst and Slippery Rock follow. Prediction: Odds are good if Clarion is going to win one this week, tonight is the night. Call it a hunch, tonight won't be the Knight. Clarion goes 0-3 this week.

Gannon - The Knights have somehow reached January 23 winless. 'Somehow' because they aren't a terrible team. Tonight's trip to Clarion is perhaps the perfect chance to end the long losing streak. Seton Hill and Edinboro visit Highmark to end the week. Prediction: Gannon matches up well with the short-bench of Clarion. Seton Hill's zone will cause too many problems and too much frustration for the undisciplined (at times) Knights. Edinboro will be a toss-up. Safe bet may be 1-2.

Comment

Is this something the PSAC does every year and I just don’t remember? It looks like it happens again in a couple weeks with a slate of Monday games on February 6th. That’s a lot of games crammed into a few weeks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X