Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

They will get a ton of good candidates. The job pays six figures and you get in the PASSHE with good benefits, etc. Morrow is a decent facility and SRU is growing quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      He was the first choice at his alma mater (Youngstown State) two years ago but didn't pursue the job. They then hired Calhoun out of Fairmont State.

That wasn't the right job. YSU has terrible facilities, no fan support, no tradition and would be a total rebuild. If it can even be done ...

In Calhoun's second year right now they wouldn't even be a Top 25 D2 team. Basketball there gets the treatment it does at SRU. Football is king.

Joe's name will keep coming up every offseason. We forget he was Jamie Dixon's top assistant for many years at Pitt so he does have that D1 experience. However, he isn't getting any younger, either.

IUP has the support and facilities to be a national program every year. They have huge financial support from the community. It's a real sweet gig at this level. It maybe one of the best jobs in D2. I'm not saying that as a fan but just looking at it from above.
      YSU was a total rebuild job and Joe was probably not up to the challenge. They brought in 10 freshmen last year and another four this year...10 players have earned starts this year with four earning 10+ starts (two true freshmen and two sophomores)...SIXTEEN players have played this year!

Who knows if Calhoun can truly turn YSU basketball around but he is a young, energetic and GOOD so if it can be done, he's probably the guy who can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
        Who is getting the job then?
        Don't know if he would be interested but I'll throw out Jordan Fee from Nova Southeastern. Three years as part of the Crutchfield "coaching tree" {two at Nova and one at WLU). Former four year starter at Grove City, played D1 at Detroit Mercy and then his last two at WLU. Has local Western PA cred so that would probably help recruiting.

Of course you'd have to convince him to leave sunny, warm Fort Lauderdale to come to snowy, gray Slippery Rock!!! YIKES!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't rule out some PSAC East head coaches. Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            YSU was a total rebuild job and Joe was probably not up to the challenge. They brought in 10 freshmen last year and another four this year...10 players have earned starts this year with four earning 10+ starts (two true freshmen and two sophomores)...SIXTEEN players have played this year!

Who knows if Calhoun can truly turn YSU basketball around but he is a young, energetic and GOOD so if it can be done, he's probably the guy who can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              Don't know if he would be interested but I'll throw out Jordan Fee from Nova Southeastern. Three years as part of the Crutchfield "coaching tree" {two at Nova and one at WLU). Former four year starter at Grove City, played D1 at Detroit Mercy and then his last two at WLU. Has local Western PA cred so that would probably help recruiting.

Of course you'd have to convince him to leave sunny, warm Fort Lauderdale to come to snowy, gray Slippery Rock!!! YIKES!!!!
              Visit that campus one time and you'd never want to leave. Crutch will build an empire there. If you get a kid to visit ... done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                I highly doubt Grady will be a front runner for the job. A lot of you will be shocked at the possible hire when it happens.

Comment

Bloom is awful this year. Keep that in mind.

KR also still isn't terminated so they can't move on anything yet.

Comment

BigIndian,
                    I agree with everything you said.

Bloom being terrible speaks to a very typical D2 attitude. Counting this year Sanow has had 3 seasons out of 13 where his PSAC record was over .500 (his overall record follows a similar trend). SRU performed even worse for many years before KR showed up.

Sorted by Total Wins not %
                    https://rockathletics.com/sports/201...04.aspx?id=505

Comment

Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
                      BigIndian,
                      I agree with everything you said.

Bloom being terrible speaks to a very typical D2 attitude. Counting this year Sanow has had 3 seasons out of 13 where his PSAC record was over .500 (his overall record follows a similar trend). SRU performed even worse for many years before KR showed up.
                      Sanow has 5 seasons over 500. Six in the PSAC of 500 or above, and yes, 3 above 500 in PSAC. Near the bottom of Bloom's career basketball coaches.

2011-12 John Sanow 19 9 .679 PSAC East Co-Champions

2013-14 John Sanow 16 12 .571

2015-16 John Sanow 17 10 .630
                      2016-17 John Sanow 15 12 .556
                      2017-18 John Sanow 15 12 .556

Comment

To touch on Gannon I know their faithful are a bit nutty. Could JTR be on the hot seat if he does not right the train?

Comment

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
                          To touch on Gannon I know their faithful are a bit nutty. Could JTR be on the hot seat if he does not right the train?
                          At 3-8 on Christmas Eve the question becomes what is the definition of 'righting the ship?'

Gannon is a program with the expectations of NCAA Tournaments. Anything less has to be considered a lost season. With 8 losses seemingly the traditional cutoff number ... GU can only take one loss the rest of the way.

I fully expect them to make the normal second half surge. That said, the damage has been done.

As you alluded, the GU fanbase is similar to the IUP football crowd. Disillusioned.

Is JR on the hot seat? No. Should he be? No.

Comment

When I attended games at Gannon 07 to @ 00 they ave in the 1500 to 1800 range per game. Now with Reilly's heavy heavy on defense and low scoring games frustrates many of the GU fans. Latest I've heard they are only ave in the 400 range.
                            Then again their AD doesn't have a clue. All GU men sports are in the tank and all see does is add women's dance, cheer & women's wrestling. Gannon never fires a coach, they just get so bad that they get embarrassed and move on themselves to different line of work.
                            PS a balmy 61 deg in Ft Worth TX right now

Comment

The JR style can work but he can't miss on recruits. We've seen the years when he gets the right group together they are very difficult to play.

That team of his that got upset in the NCAA tournament by SRU was very good.

It's a challenge to find guys who want to play in an offense that scores 55 points per game and tries to hold opponents to 54 points.

Gannon will never be an easy game under JR. Even a team like this one at 3-8 ... you best be ready for a street fight. They aren't getting blown out in most of those 8 losses. I fully expect a fierce battle next Wednesday night in Indiana.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                                When I attended games at Gannon 07 to @ 00 they ave in the 1500 to 1800 range per game. Now with Reilly's heavy heavy on defense and low scoring games frustrates many of the GU fans. Latest I've heard they are only ave in the 400 range.
                                Then again their AD doesn't have a clue. All GU men sports are in the tank and all see does is add women's dance, cheer & women's wrestling. Gannon never fires a coach, they just get so bad that they get embarrassed and move on themselves to different line of work.
                                PS a balmy 61 deg in Ft Worth TX right now
                                What is wrong with the Athletic Director? How much pull do the GU fans have in decisions there?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X