X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan Swank

http://www.edinboronow.com/article/s...sketball-coach

Re: Stan Swank

That's a big downer !!! Great coach and strange looking dude with a sort of JOHNNY CASH as BB guru look. Teams were almost always prepared to do battle. Managed to be one game over an even split with JESS STROM 10-9. Any guesses about a successor?

Comment

His top assistant would be a logical candidate ... former star player at the Boro and has been on staff for a while now. She's also probably pretty immune by now to the circus inside the athletic department up there.

Comment

I know nothing other than hearing the rumor of his impending retirement several weeks ago but I agree that Callie Wheeler is the logical choice. She filled in temporarily when he was out on leave this season.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          That's a big downer !!! Great coach and strange looking dude with a sort of JOHNNY CASH as BB guru look. Teams were almost always prepared to do battle. Managed to be one game over an even split with JESS STROM 10-9. Any guesses about a successor?
          I love the Johnny Cash comparison. The black jacket and the slicked back hair were his trademarks. He'll always be remembered at the Hammermill as the coach of the team that screwed up our 2014 Elite Eight hosting season. Gannon went 28-4, all four losses coming to Swank's Fighting Scots.

That said, hope he has a great retirement. What a career at Edinboro, highlighted by two Elite Eight appearances.

Comment

Happy Retirement to Stanley! Great coach and a great guy who did one heck of a job up there all these years. I'd like to thank him for all that he did to make PSAC WBB a truly great sport.

You are a good man, Stanley Swank. Journey Well!

-

Comment

Hey coach, gave you a well wish at many a GU/EU WBB games. Always respected you and always had to be wary of your
              fabulous teams. You always got more out of them than most thought possible.
              Best of years ahead.

Comment

Edinboro's interim AD is on a hiring flurry: new tennis coach, new wrestling coach, and the rumor is some sort of announcement is coming about women's basketball.

Comment

Did Stan have a class signed prior to his announcement? It's getting awfully late.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    Edinboro's interim AD is on a hiring flurry: new tennis coach, new wrestling coach, and the rumor is some sort of announcement is coming about women's basketball.
                    Didn't realise that EU athletics were at such a crossroads. Sounds like COACH SWANK, smart man that he is, may have seen the writing on the wall and decided it was a good a time as any to call it quits. If the SCOTS WBB needs some decent, experienced transfers, they could do worse than looking around the Mon Valley. With an unusually large class coming in the fall, the VULCANS will either have a wildly long bench or some players will be/already have moved on.

Comment

Didn't realise that EU athletics were at such a crossroads. Sounds like COACH SWANK, smart man that he is, may have seen the writing on the wall and decided it was a good a time as any to call it quits. If the SCOTS WBB needs some decent, experienced transfers, they could do worse than looking around the Mon Valley. With an unusually large class coming in the fall, the VULCANS will either have a wildly long bench or some players will be/already have moved on.
                      Not a crossroads. Edinboro usually doesn't have a lot of turnover. Just a lot coming at once. I won't speak for Coach Swank but I imagine "when that day comes" came quicker once his father passed away this season and his grown kids have less opportunity to come home. It also makes it easier when there seems to be an heir apparent.

Comment

Not a crossroads. Edinboro usually doesn't have a lot of turnover. Just a lot coming at once. I won't speak for Coach Swank but I imagine "when that day comes" came quicker once his father passed away this season and his grown kids have less opportunity to come home. It also makes it easier when there seems to be an heir apparent.
                        And the rumored heir apparent is.....??????

Comment

And the rumored heir apparent is.....??????
                          My guess is current assistant Callie Wheeler. She covered for Swank this season then he endorsed her in an interview after he announced his retirement.

Comment

My guess is current assistant Callie Wheeler. She covered for Swank this season then he endorsed her in an interview after he announced his retirement.

No-brainer in my opinion.

Comment

I think Kelly Mazzante would be a swell choice.
                              Last edited by Feedoggie; 05-21-2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X