Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sancomb news conference...

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Cat's like him give AAU coaches a good name! What he does is pray on the hopes of HS players and their parents to get their son/daughter into college on a "scholarship." For a price, this guy will "evaluate" the player for "athletic ability" and based on his assessment, will refer the player to colleges that he thinks the kid is most likely to get an offer from. This "evaluation" also leads to a lot of up-selling from Doles and his staff...Your son is good, but he could be GREAT if you just pay me to coach him up or pay for him to participate in one of my basketball camps. I'm sure if you did this, his skills would improve to the point were D1 schools start taking a serious look at him. If he doesn't improve, the best his current skill set will get him is interest from non-scholarship D3 teams.
    Thanks for your view, bc. Now if JDonAB92 can be persuaded to share, with any particulars, we would be more well informed since he seems to know of MR DOLES and not just guys like him.

Comment

Warren Doles is a good guy. If you read some of his social media post he even complains about parents not being realistic about the true level their kid can play at, even when he tries to tell them "you're kid is not D1. He is a knowledgeable skills trainer that is helping young men both on and more importantly of the court. I know there are a lot of shady, in it to make a buck trainers but he isn't one of them. He is a firm hand shake, look another man in the eye type of person. He has done a lot for many of the players at WJ. He is a positive mentor and a good guy to have around your program. Just my thoughts from my experience with him because I have seen both good people in this player development business and some real bad ones with no real intention to better young players and young men.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
        Warren Doles is a good guy. If you read some of his social media post he even complains about parents not being realistic about the true level their kid can play at, even when he tries to tell them "you're kid is not D1. He is a knowledgeable skills trainer that is helping young men both on and more importantly of the court. I know there are a lot of shady, in it to make a buck trainers but he isn't one of them. He is a firm hand shake, look another man in the eye type of person. He has done a lot for many of the players at WJ. He is a positive mentor and a good guy to have around your program. Just my thoughts from my experience with him because I have seen both good people in this player development business and some real bad ones with no real intention to better young players and young men.
        Thanks for the insight.

Comment

There are some AAU coaches/skills trainers whose intentions and actions are admirable. And then there are some AAU guys out there who are just in it for themselves. Regardless of where an "AAU guy" falls on that spectrum, I believe that most college athletic administrators understand that dealing with AAU coaches is a necessary part of recruiting, but they prefer that their coaches keep them at a distance from the program.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
            There are some AAU coaches/skills trainers whose intentions and actions are admirable. And then there are some AAU guys out there who are just in it for themselves. Regardless of where an "AAU guy" falls on that spectrum, I believe that most college athletic administrators understand that dealing with AAU coaches is a necessary part of recruiting, but they prefer that their coaches keep them at a distance from the program.
            If I'm buying a used car from a dealership, I understand what I'm getting myself into. It is a necessary evil, I do it as quickly as possible then go home and take a shower. I don't invite them to my house warming party and introduce them as my friend.

I also believe that many (most??) programs use "guys like that" but they keep them at a distance and rarely invite them to their press conferences. But hey, to each his own I guess!

Comment

Here's one for you guys ...

Anybody know who Cal lost last summer?

Micah Till. He was VERY close to being a Vulcan. It was his first choice and he almost signed. SRU swept in and stole him.

He's from the DMV.

Makes you wonder how that would have changed things.

IUP amazingly didn't recruit him despite signing a teammate of his at Harford.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Here's one for you guys ...

Anybody know who Cal lost last summer?

Micah Till. He was VERY close to being a Vulcan. It was his first choice and he almost signed. SRU swept in and stole him.

He's from the DMV.

Makes you wonder how that would have changed things.

IUP amazingly didn't recruit him despite signing a teammate of his at Harford.
                Till went to SRU with his Harford teammate Aaron McDonald.

Micah Till had major D-I football offers coming out of Wise HS in Maryland which has been a power in MD lately. He eventually went to NC State for a year-and-a-half as a tight end. He was also offered by Rutgers in basketball during his senior year at Wise. He would be dismissed at NC State and switched sports to basketball.

His brother Titus Till played football for the Maryland Terrapins.

Comment

Interesting story. He said SRU assistant Ian Grady really started to sway him and Reynolds told him he'd be the guy ... and the rest was history.

Prototype player for the SRU style of play.

Pitt was one of his football offers (among many others). Sure the Rock would love to get him pads. Reynolds would probably disagree, however. He'd be a freaking terror as a D2 TE or DE.

He's fun to watch ... really plays to the crowd. The question will be if Reynolds can surround him with enough talent. They lost a ton. But, they do every year.

Comment

FYI - Jermaine Hall 6-4 190 lb from Severn Park Md. has committed to Cal. He was a prime target for DS when he was at WJU. Had offers from LeMoyne and WJU. Very athletic player.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      FYI - Jermaine Hall 6-4 190 lb from Severn Park Md. has committed to Cal. He was a prime target for DS when he was at WJU. Had offers from LeMoyne and WJU. Very athletic player.
                      Any word on BRENT PEGRAM since he received permission to explore his options ?

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        Any word on BRENT PEGRAM since he received permission to explore his options ?
                        Pegram will be a Vulcan and Jermaine Hall had been WJU's top recruit, but decommitted and now going to Cal as well.

Comment

Good start. Assume Carlos Carter (former WJ recruit from Indiana, PA) also heads to Cal.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Good start. Assume Carlos Carter (former WJ recruit from Indiana, PA) also heads to Cal.
                            This is beginning to look like a team, BUT I'll believe when it shows up from @CaluHoops. Also totally lacking in size aside from HOWZE which would mean they would have to defend like crazy and shoot the lights out especially from 3. Definitely a work in progress.

Comment

You'd be surprised how much recruiting stuff this board gets accurate. IUP's class has been known for months and still not a peep out of the KCAC.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                                This is beginning to look like a team, BUT I'll believe when it shows up from @CaluHoops. Also totally lacking in size aside from HOWZE which would mean they would have to defend like crazy and shoot the lights out especially from 3. Definitely a work in progress.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X