Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parting Shots

Some great comments from Dustin Sleva on his way out the door after his tremendous career (article in The Slateonline.com):

On IUP not recruiting him:

On West Liberty:

On winning at West Chester and taunting the WCU band:

He'll be missed. Villains are good for business.

Re: Parting Shots

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Some great comments from Dustin Sleva on his way out the door after his tremendous career (article in The Slateonline.com):

On IUP not recruiting him:

On West Liberty:

On winning at West Chester and taunting the WCU band:

He'll be missed. Villains are good for business.
    He is a great player. If he taunted folks in high school, then he has probably answered his own question about why West Liberty did not recruit him.
    Otherwise, maybe he was not a good enough shooter at that time or as balanced in his fundamentals. Regardless, he turned out great. I wish him a long and successful career in Europe.

Comment

Good luck to Sliva. Hope he has many years reliving how everyone slited him and how he was a truely was a big deal.

Comment

I think he spent far too much time reading this board. I live in Western PA. Not a soul talks about West Liberty or D2 basketball minus us clowns.

Comment

Comment

He sounds like Christian Laettner. He has every right to speak his mind. Don't hate on an honest man.

I agree with the above posters who said that villains are good for business. At least this guy had the talent to back things up like a Laettner.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              He sounds like Christian Laettner. He has every right to speak his mind. Don't hate on an honest man.

I agree with the above posters who said that villains are good for business. At least this guy had the talent to back things up like a Laettner.

-
              I agree that it is ludicrous to dislike the guy for his comments. This country is based on respect for free speech (for how long I don't know).

But in general, I am tired of the chip on the shoulder cliche that jocks use.
              Ever notice how they say they played with a chip on their shoulder only after they win? Shouldn't they have a chip on each shoulder to maintain their balance? :-)

Just once, I would like to hear them say something like this: "I played with a chip on my shoulder because school X would not give me free Adidas shoes on my recruiting visit. But it didn't matter, because they still kicked my butt." Not going to happen.

I cannot decide among Hollywood stars, media talking heads and jocks as to who (as a group) have the most limited logical reasoning skills using mindless mantra and cliches.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                I agree that it is ludicrous to dislike the guy for his comments. This country is based on respect for free speech (for how long I don't know).

Ever notice how they say they played with a chip on their shoulder only after they win? Shouldn't they have a chip on each shoulder to maintain their balance? :-)

Just once, I would like to hear them say something like this: "I played with a chip on my shoulder because school X would not give me free Adidas shoes on my recruiting visit. But it didn't matter, because they still kicked my butt." Not going to happen.

I cannot decide among Hollywood stars, media talking heads and jocks as to who (as a group) have the most limited logical reasoning skills using mindless mantra and cliches.
                I was going to say that but you beat me to it. I've never heard a winning team coach say, "This is why we didn't recruit this kid. He is a loser."

Although watching Texas head coach Tom Herman mock the Mizzou QB towards the end of the Texas win in the Texas Bowl might qualify.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ion/ar-BBHrUBn

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

It's not the all or nothing thing that people want to make it make it out to be. He has the right to say whatever he wants to...but I (and perhaps others) also have the right to dislike him for it. I also have the right to exercise MY right to free speech and call him dill-hole.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    It's not the all or nothing thing that people want to make it make it out to be. He has the right to say whatever he wants to...but I (and perhaps others) also have the right to dislike him for it. I also have the right to exercise MY right to free speech and call him dill-hole.
                    I agree that you have that right. But you can dislike the message without disliking the person. People can be misinformed, immature, emotional rather than logical thinkers, or not aware of fallacious reasoning (which is understandable, since we are inundated with fallacious reasoning in the media and politics, such as the "moral equivalence" fallacy). These shortcomings make them an imperfect person but not a person to be demonized.

I would disagree with the value of the name-calling. That is what is known as an "ad hominem" argument, which is to attack the person rather than refute the person's argument. It is fallacious reasoning and gives others the impression that it is a last resort response when one cannot refute the argument. In addition, name-calling can escalate emotionally and incite violence, which rarely ends well.

Comment

True...But this person "demonized" the schools that supposedly didn't give him the respect he felt he deserved coming out of HS. It's one thing to use a slight or a perceived slight as an internal motivator...Quite another to bring it up only AFTER you have beat those teams. Probably just me but I'd have had more respect for him if he had said before he played each of these team that he was seeking revenge on them for not recruiting him...Then let the chips fall were they may. Waiting until AFTER he wins seems like he was a bit scared that he might not win and would then have to bear the barbs from the other side.

Same token, would it be OK for a coach to say after a season, "You know, we recruited Sleva out of High School and he wouldn't give us the time of the day. I had this game against him circled all year and used it as extra motivation to beat him." We'd probably call that coach immature and label his comments as bush league...and rightfully so.

It's one thing to do some trash talking on the court during a game...Quite another to wait until the season (and your career) has been over for four months to brag. But hey, it is a free world and he can say what ever he wants when ever he wants to say it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        True...But this person "demonized" the schools that supposedly didn't give him the respect he felt he deserved coming out of HS. It's one thing to use a slight or a perceived slight as an internal motivator...Quite another to bring it up only AFTER you have beat those teams. Probably just me but I'd have had more respect for him if he had said before he played each of these team that he was seeking revenge on them for not recruiting him...Then let the chips fall were they may. Waiting until AFTER he wins seems like he was a bit scared that he might not win and would then have to bear the barbs from the other side.

Same token, would it be OK for a coach to say after a season, "You know, we recruited Sleva out of High School and he wouldn't give us the time of the day. I had this game against him circled all year and used it as extra motivation to beat him." We'd probably call that coach immature and label his comments as bush league...and rightfully so.

It's one thing to do some trash talking on the court during a game...Quite another to wait until the season (and your career) has been over for four months to brag. But hey, it is a free world and he can say what ever he wants when ever he wants to say it.

Comment

He also always forgets to mention he went 2-2 against IUP in his career and was blown out of the gym in both losses.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            He also always forgets to mention he went 2-2 against IUP in his career and was blown out of the gym in both losses.
                            Excellent point which highlights how illogical these cliches are. I wish you would have interviewed him!
                            In the 2 losses he must have misplaced the chip for his shoulder!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X