Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peckenpaugh v. Sancomb?

It's inevitable that these two will be compared so now that the 18-19 rosters are set, which of these coaches did more for their new programs for this coming season?

Re: Peckenpaugh v. Sancomb?

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    It's inevitable that these two will be compared so now that the 18-19 rosters are set, which of these coaches did more for their new programs for this coming season?

Kind of hard to say before they've played a game.

There's certainly still a good story to be told about Sancomb's firing. I doubt we ever hear it, however.

Both are likely in for very long seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Kind of hard to say before they've played a game.

There's certainly still a good story to be told about Sancomb's firing. I doubt we ever hear it, however.

Both are likely in for very long seasons.
      Isn't that what we do on this board??

Comment

Isn't that what we do on this board??

Noooooo. Never.

Comment

Noooooo. Never.
          But you predicted WLU AND Fairmont will join the PSAC and the MEC will fold, why so reluctant to weigh in on which new HC has been more successful in their first year???

Comment

But you predicted WLU AND Fairmont will join the PSAC and the MEC will fold, why so reluctant to weigh in on which new HC has been more successful in their first year???

Cal hasn't posted its roster yet. That's the main reason.

Comment

Cal hasn't posted its roster yet. That's the main reason.
              Wonder why? I mean, the semester has started so presumably all the players must be enrolled and on campus right?

Comment

Next to nobody in the PSAC West has posted rosters yet.

I don't get it, either.

I know why IUP hasn't as there is a major item being worked out. The only two posted are UPJ and Clarion -- two schools that don't get involved in the Fort Knox secrecy games the rest of them play. Seton Hill has a version posted although it's far from accurate (from what I hear) ... and the fact it still lists a current Gannon player.

Comment

Wonder why? I mean, the semester has started so presumably all the players must be enrolled and on campus right?
                  On campus and working out.....
                  http://mobile.twitter.com/CaluHoops/...29012058628096

Comment

The question will not be a one year answer, it will be which school supports the program over the next 5 years.

CalU seems to be in on Sandcomb so we shall see.

I think they will be in the running for 6th this year in the west.
                    @zsimpson_d2

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Simpson View Post
                      The question will not be a one year answer, it will be which school supports the program over the next 5 years.

CalU seems to be in on Sandcomb so we shall see.

I think they will be in the running for 6th this year in the west.
                      Long game will prove who ultimately was the better higher. But in the exuberance of the hiring of Sancomb, there were some who implied that Cal would become a contender overnight because the entire WJU team was going to pick up and transfer to Cal. There also some who seemed to be of the feeling that WJ was going to struggle to field a team of more than walk-ons. Just wondering if, now that the smoke has settled a little bit, how people feel about how the two new coaches will fair this coming season?

Comment

Absolute best-case WJ could finish third in the MEC. My suspicion is you have Fairmont, West Liberty and then a huge gap to the rest. Notre Dame could be decent if Vorhees returns healthy. Who knows ... maybe this 'big' WJ got is another Sleva-type. WL's speed and pressure didn't effect him at all.

Of the five Cal has listed as returnees, a couple of them are very solid players. Pegram will be a big boost. For all we know at this point, Sancomb could have landed a big star (like Edinboro did last year). Losing Howze is a major issue -- whatever the reason was. Danny showed the ability at WJ to adapt to different styles of play. McBride refused to do that at Cal and his teams were often vastly over-matched and physically beaten in the West -- with defense nowhere to be found.

In the grand scheme of who will do better ... probably need at least 2-3 years to get a vibe on it.

While on the topic, I don't really expect the guy at Fairmont to stay there very long. I suspect 1-2 more years max and he'll follow the Calhoun route.

Comment

The new coach at Jesuit maybe the next great coach in the region...I will give him this, he is connected enough to bring in guys from all over. I don't think they are just bodies, some look to be decent players.

On the other hand, Sancomb is tried and proven and I don't have any doubts will be successful. He may not have the studs this year but you can bet that the team will play good defense, be physically tough and will play hard consistently which I think will be an immediate improvement. Just may take a year or 2 to challenge at the top of the league.

Comment

Absolute best-case WJ could finish third in the MEC. My suspicion is you have Fairmont, West Liberty and then a huge gap to the rest. Notre Dame could be decent if Vorhees returns healthy. Who knows ... maybe this 'big' WJ got is another Sleva-type. WL's speed and pressure didn't effect him at all.

Of the five Cal has listed as returnees, a couple of them are very solid players. Pegram will be a big boost. For all we know at this point, Sancomb could have landed a big star (like Edinboro did last year). Losing Howze is a major issue -- whatever the reason was. Danny showed the ability at WJ to adapt to different styles of play. McBride refused to do that at Cal and his teams were often vastly over-matched and physically beaten in the West -- with defense nowhere to be found.

In the grand scheme of who will do better ... probably need at least 2-3 years to get a vibe on it.

While on the topic, I don't really expect the guy at Fairmont to stay there very long. I suspect 1-2 more years max and he'll follow the Calhoun route.
                            6-8, 230 is quite a bit different than 7-0, 250!

Guy at Fairmont is bound to be a bust because everyone knows you can't replace a really good coach with another really good coach!! Hahahaha!!
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 09-04-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Pegram will be a big boost. .
                              Although he only started 7 of 32 games in his first year at WJU, BP had minutes equal to a starter on a team that was really only nine deep. If he's up to it I suspect DS will put his game plan in PEGRAM'S hands and hope for the best this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X