Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitt over RMU 71-57

Comment

• UMES (D1 basically in theory) lost for the second straight year to D3 Salisbury University in men's basketball. The two are separated by about 10 miles on the Maryland Eastern Shore.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        UMES (D1 basically in theory) lost for the second straight year to D3 Salisbury University in men's basketball. The two are separated by about 10 miles on the Maryland Eastern Shore.
        MEAC is a decent D1 mid-major conference. They don't get much coverage because, well, HBCUs. But UMES is pretty bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I'm in the camp that FSU is actually a rather good college basketball team. I believe they were Sweet 16 a year ago but had to re-tool. Pitt's win over them was legit and I think it did play a part in their shoddy performance on Saturday. I also would think that Nicholls State is not a bad team either.

-
          There are always games that look like upsets in November that weren't really upsets when January comes around.

Comment

• Nice win for Pitt football last night.

My condolences for anybody who watched the Yinzers instead.

Comment

• Awful game for Pitt tonite in the Backyard Brawl. I would have been grateful had Myles Garrett broke down the door and hit me in the head with something. I wasn't that lucky.

I knew that they would be more or less blown off the court by WVU. I think this Pitt team has actually regressed from where they were at this point last season. Newer players have replaced the veteran seasoning of Wilson-Frame, NDir, and Ellison plus the loss of Chuwuka. It's going to take time. Not to mention that this is a much harder early season slate of games. But nonetheless quite disappointing.

I believe that Noah Collier has signed his LOI and that John Hugley will sign his tomorrow.

Monmouth looms on Monday night at the Pete. Goodness only knows what will happen next.

-

Comment

• 6-10 recruit Max Amadasun has formally signed his LOI to attend Pitt next year.

Morovian Prep PG Shakeel Moore has committed to NC State and his fellow teammate Josh Hall is expected to follow suit in the coming days or weeks. Quite a recruiting haul for the Wolfpack!

-

Comment

• Pitt a 63-50 winner this evening over Monmouth. Pitt played absolutely horrible at the onset of the game with a host of turnovers and more putrid shooting. Jeff Capel was holding his head in his hands and looked to be deep in prayer at one point with his hands folded. It was that bad. He shuffled the lineup around desperate to get a spark from someone. Xavier Johnson thankfully was able to rebound from a terrible start to play the second half quite well. Frosh Justin Champagnie made his first college start and scored 12 and grabbed 10 rebounds.

A few tidbits---

-College basketball royalty was evident on the Monmouth bench with such luminaries as King Rice and J.R. Reid (former Tar Heels) and Jamal Meeks (formerly of Indiana fame).

-Ryan Murphy of Pitt had an uncanny doppleganger of himself in Monmouth guard George Pappas. Their resemblance was quite odd to say the least. Pappas, became an internet sensation for all the wrong reasons last week by dunking late in a game against Kansas on a breakaway and then talking trash to the Jayhawks----while his team was losing by 55!

-Pitt freshman G Gerald Drumgoole missed the game due to an ankle injury suffered at practice this past weekend.

-Former Pitt standout forward Dejuan Blair's father was tragically killed in Wilkinsburg over the weekend.

-John Hugley, a 6-8/6-9 PF recruit formally signed his LOI today.

-There are those saying that Hugley's fellow 2020 recruit Noah Collier is now up to 6-9 (up from a listed 6-7).

-Pitt will be back in action on Thursday evening at the Pete when they host Arkansas Pine-Bluff.

-

Comment

• Pitt kicked over a tomato can this evening as they downed Arkansas-Pine Bluff by a 66-41 count. A coming out party for freshmen Justin Champagnie aka Slam-Penny who put in 18 points while collecting six boards and three steals. I always like to say that Pitt goes as Trey McGowens scoring goes. Tonight zero points and zero boards. But not exactly a quality opponent to base too much on other than earning another win.

Pitt back in action against Kansas State Monday night down in a Florida tourney in Fort Myers. Game to be aired on FS1.

Pitt moves to 4-2 on the season.

-

Comment

• Great win for Pitt over previously unbeaten Kansas State.

Comment

Great win for Pitt over previously unbeaten Kansas State.
                        Absolutely! I have to say that I am quite surprised by this win, especially after the manner in which the game got started with Pitt down in a 9-0 hole and Justin Champagnie getting carried off the court by two players while holding his leg. A really inspiring win to say the least. Certainly a very quality victory over a good basketball team in K-State.

Some great individual performances for Pitt. X-man really came through late when the Panthers really needed him. Eric Hamilton played great inside with 13 points and 11 boards. Champagnie 12 points and six boards to go along with some amazing hustle all night. He and Hamilton had several power slams dotted with an exclamation point. Murph Dawg with 13 points as well.

Over the summer an old Pitt booster who saw the team practice told me that Champagnie could end up a basketball superstar someday. I kind of laughed it off and dismissed it. After seeing him play some games here I think that it could be a possibility at least. The kid has some serious game and great physical attributes to go along with that tough Brooklyn attitude. He is just merely scratching the surface of his abilities as Jeff Capel alluded to during the post-game presser following the Arkansas-Pine Bluff game. I only wish that they had signed his twin brother to go with him. I see that he is doing decent for St. Johns albeit against lesser competition.

I believe that Pitt returns to action Wednesday evening in the Fort Myers tourney against either Bradley or Northwestern.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Absolutely! I have to say that I am quite surprised by this win, especially after the manner in which the game got started with Pitt down in a 9-0 hole and Justin Champagnie getting carried off the court by two players while holding his leg. A really inspiring win to say the least. Certainly a very quality victory over a good basketball team in K-State.

Some great individual performances for Pitt. X-man really came through late when the Panthers really needed him. Eric Hamilton played great inside with 13 points and 11 boards. Champagnie 12 points and six boards to go along with some amazing hustle all night. He and Hamilton had several power slams dotted with an exclamation point. Murph Dawg with 13 points as well.

Over the summer an old Pitt booster who saw the team practice told me that Champagnie could end up a basketball superstar someday. I kind of laughed it off and dismissed it. After seeing him play some games here I think that it could be a possibility at least. The kid has some serious game and great physical attributes to go along with that tough Brooklyn attitude. He is just merely scratching the surface of his abilities as Jeff Capel alluded to during the post-game presser following the Arkansas-Pine Bluff game. I only wish that they had signed his twin brother to go with him. I see that he is doing decent for St. Johns albeit against lesser competition.

I believe that Pitt returns to action Wednesday evening in the Fort Myers tourney against either Bradley or Northwestern.

-
                          Champagnie has some star power for sure. As with most teams of this young age, they will show flashes this year of being a good team. And, of course, flashes of being a team made up of true freshmen and sophomores. For instance, they now have wins over Florida State and Kansas State -- two solid P5 teams. And, they have also looked terrible against D1 dregs such as Monmouth.

The City Game should be a good one this year.

Capel Year 3 could be the year they make a big jump -- but the guards have to stick around. Neither will be NBA-ready after this season. I just hope they don't get bad advice. A couple of the guys coming in next year have Day 1 ability. This wasn't going to happen overnight.

Comment

Champagnie has some star power for sure. As with most teams of this young age, they will show flashes this year of being a good team. And, of course, flashes of being a team made up of true freshmen and sophomores. For instance, they now have wins over Florida State and Kansas State -- two solid P5 teams. And, they have also looked terrible against D1 dregs such as Monmouth.

The City Game should be a good one this year.

Capel Year 3 could be the year they make a big jump -- but the guards have to stick around. Neither will be NBA-ready after this season. I just hope they don't get bad advice. A couple of the guys coming in next year have Day 1 ability. This wasn't going to happen overnight.
                            Not sure---but I don't believe they play the Dukes this year in the city game. I think RMU's gym opening was this year's city game. I'll have to check. I think Dambrot has the Dukes lookin' good.

I think the coolest moment of the season thus far, at least other than X's clutch play last night at the end, was Champagnie standing up to the Florida State punk who was running his mouth in the opener. Slam-Penny didn't take any crap from him. Don't mess with Brooklyn. I think the Panthers need somebody like that. X and Trey are quite passive personalities.

Yeah, three frontline recruits signed sealed and delivered for next season in Collier, Hugley and Amadasun. Coulibaly should also have his game on all the way by that time as well.

I agree that the Pitt guards are NOT ready for the NBA at this time. They need to play next year.

Did I hear the Pitt-Northwestern game is on at noon tomorrow?

-

Comment

• Hot team in Oakland all the sudden.

Comment

Hot team in Oakland all the sudden.
                                Slam-Penny for 21 against Northwestern to lead Pitt to the Fort Myers Tip-Off Tourney title and garner MVP honors. Pitt at 6-2 with wins against P5 schools Florida State, Kansas State, and Northwestern. Progress being made. If this team could ever get firing on all of their cylinders they could be dangerous.

Looks like Rutgers is up next on Tuesday at 9PM at the Pete in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X