Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Capel gets a 2-year extension.
    He is very deserving of the extension. He has done a superb job thus far. And most folks may not even realize how much until next season.

A very big win for Pitt this evening as they take down North Carolina on the road by a 73-65 count. 24 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 steals for Trey. 22 points and 8 boards for Slam Penny. 17 points for the X-man. This marks Pitt's first ACC road victory since Feb. 8, 2017. That is nearly three years. The Tar Heels played very well in the first half and grabbed a nine point halftime lead only to see a furious Pitt rampage in the second half. I will contend that this is Jeff Capel's most significant victory up to this point in his two years on the job being that it was on the road and against a blue blood program---although they are a bit depleted by the injury bug---but Pitt was once more missing Au'Diese Toney.

Pitt ups their record to 11-4 (2-2 ACC). They are back in action on Sunday at Miami at 6 PM.

Also of note is that Rutgers took down Penn State yesterday. That win for the Scarlett Knights should only help Pitt out in the ratings system since they earlier defeated them.

-

Comment

• Duquesne received (9) votes in the AP Top 25.

The Dukes are the best college team in Pittsburgh. It's becoming more clear why Pitt didn't want to play them this year.

Keith Dambrot is rolling on the Bluff.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

He is very deserving of the extension. He has done a superb job thus far. And most folks may not even realize how much until next season.

A very big win for Pitt this evening as they take down North Carolina on the road by a 73-65 count. 24 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 steals for Trey. 22 points and 8 boards for Slam Penny. 17 points for the X-man. This marks Pitt's first ACC road victory since Feb. 8, 2017. That is nearly three years. The Tar Heels played very well in the first half and grabbed a nine point halftime lead only to see a furious Pitt rampage in the second half. I will contend that this is Jeff Capel's most significant victory up to this point in his two years on the job being that it was on the road and against a blue blood program---although they are a bit depleted by the injury bug---but Pitt was once more missing Au'Diese Toney.

Pitt ups their record to 11-4 (2-2 ACC). They are back in action on Sunday at Miami at 6 PM.

Also of note is that Rutgers took down Penn State yesterday. That win for the Scarlett Knights should only help Pitt out in the ratings system since they earlier defeated them.

-
        North Carolina is terrible this year. Clemson just beat them at NC for the first time since 1926.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Duquesne received (9) votes in the AP Top 25.

The Dukes are the best college team in Pittsburgh. It's becoming more clear why Pitt didn't want to play them this year.

Andy Toole told me that the early basketball season is getting ruined by a football mentality: front load your schedule with games nobody is going to care about win or lose. Everyone now expects you to play in a destination tournament: 3 games in Las Vegas or the Bahamas or Orlando in front of nobody like a bowl game. Play some home games against a D3 or bottom RPI team nobody will come to so if you play crappy they won't talk about it.

Comment

Come now, Pitt would blow them off the court! The main reason that they did not play the City Game this year was because Capel was required to play at the Robert Morris new arena grand opening.

But it is nice to see the job that Dambrot does with the Dukes. I just don't think they could hang with Pitt. Look what happened in last year's City Game.

I think I'll take some more time to cool down before I post anything on the Pitt-Louisville game this evening. Damn! And double damn!

-

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

North Carolina is terrible this year. Clemson just beat them at NC for the first time since 1926.
              And Clemson just took down mighty Duke this evening. There are NO easy games in the ACC. None at all!

-

Comment

Comment

• I should have made it more clear I was mocking the B-Team a bit in my post. They are drinking some major Dukes Kool-Aide.

I see Pitt as having the reboot last year. This is the 'almost there' year. Next year (assuming these guards don't get dumb and declare) ... it's on.

Comment

I should have made it more clear I was mocking the B-Team a bit in my post. They are drinking some major Dukes Kool-Aide.

I see Pitt as having the reboot last year. This is the 'almost there' year. Next year (assuming these guards don't get dumb and declare) ... it's on.

Comment

• I was at the Pete last night. Many times it seemed like Pitt was badly outplaying Louisville but they were up by only 5-6 points. Pitt had it won after the banked in 3 put them up by 7 with less than 3 to play. But two LSU treys and three dreadful empty possessions sent the game into OT. The over the back call with 20 seconds left was awful but the Panthers let one get away in regulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

I was at the Pete last night. Many times it seemed like Pitt was badly outplaying Louisville but they were up by only 5-6 points. Pitt had it won after the banked in 3 put them up by 7 with less than 3 to play. But two LSU treys and three dreadful empty possessions sent the game into OT. The over the back call with 20 seconds left was awful but the Panthers let one get away in regulation.
                        I decided to keep my cool and not comment on the so called officiating from the Pitt-Louisville game the other night. Horrible call on Brown on the over the back call. Criminal even. Capel was just furious and beside himself. He did well to control it though.

I see that Pitt is a four and half point favorite over North Carolina tomorrow at the Pete for a noon tip (game on ESPN). I would imagine the Tar Heels come out swinging hard. They have been utterly humiliated since Cole Anthony went down. They will show up with a good effort and Pitt had better be ready for it.

I see that former Pitt PG Marcus Carr is having a very good season for Minnesota. He put in 27 the other night in their takedown of Penn State.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I decided to keep my cool and not comment on the so called officiating from the Pitt-Louisville game the other night. Horrible call on Brown on the over the back call. Criminal even. Capel was just furious and beside himself. He did well to control it though.

I see that Pitt is a four and half point favorite over North Carolina tomorrow at the Pete for a noon tip (game on ESPN). I would imagine the Tar Heels come out swinging hard. They have been utterly humiliated since Cole Anthony went down. They will show up with a good effort and Pitt had better be ready for it.

I see that former Pitt PG Marcus Carr is having a very good season for Minnesota. He put in 27 the other night in their takedown of Penn State.

-

Comment

• Yes, it is very shocking to see the Tar Heels down so low. They are a perennial Final Four and National Title contender. Without Cole Anthony they are very likely the worst team in the ACC right now. I never thought that I would see the day when that would happen. Roy Williams aka Deputy Dog probably can't wait for this season to end.

Xavier Johnson played a great all-around game yesterday. That is exactly what Pitt needs from him. Pitt is now 12-6 overall and 3-4 in the ACC. Juxtapose that with where they were at two years ago and you have to really hand it to Jeff Capel for the job he has done thus far.

Boston College is up next on Wednesday night for a 9 PM tip at the Pete. This is another game that the Panthers need to get.

According to the broadcast yesterday former Pitt Legend Charles Smith has a son on the Pitt roster. I did not know that. The announcers were okay when they focused on the game but for large swaths of the contest I have no idea what they were even talking about. It would have been nice to hear who was doing what instead of them off on an unrelated tangent.

-

Comment

• Crystal baller activity really picking up for the aforementioned William Jeffress------with some highly credible ones all saying he's headed to Pitt. I guess the only question at the moment is if he will reclass to 2020. Apparently Jeffress is playing in the 'burgh tonite. No doubt the Pitt staff will be there to try and close the deal.

IUPalum---you have boots on the ground up that way. What are you hearing about the whole situation?

-

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X