Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

It is odd to picture Waller as a hoops court at one time. That would be going back quite a few moon ago. I think they moved into the Memorial Field House around 1966 IIRC. I much prefer the MFH to the KCAC. I like the old gym feel of basketball arenas. It just feels right sitting up in the bleachers.

Imagine what Pistol Pete would have done had he had the three-point line. His stats were absurd enough as it was.

-
    I watch The Pistol movie about once a year or so. It was one of my favorites in my childhood days.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I watch The Pistol movie about once a year or so. It was one of my favorites in my childhood days.
      I've actually never heard of that one. Sounds like something I would love to see. Inch for inch and pound for pound he may have been one of the most impressive basketball players ever created.

I've got a trivia question for you----name the NBA team that Pistol Pete finished up his career with 40 years ago?

-

Comment

That's all very interesting. That was nice of Knight and his teammate to sign the autograph like that. Now days you would probably not even be able to get near the bench. Different world. Every time you talk to an older Pitt fan the name Billy Knight comes up. Sort of like how the older IUP crowd some years back would talk up watching Jack Crossan play up in Waller Hall. Legends get remembered. I have to admit that I have never even heard of Don Hennon. Yeah, nice company he kept on the All-America team.

I wonder if Knight played for the Pittsburgh Pipers of the ABA? That must have been cool to have a pro team in the 'burgh. Some of those old ABA teams merged into the NBA. Too bad Pittsburgh didn't get a franchise in there.

I'm old enough to go back to the days of Charles Smith and Jerome Lane. That 1987-88 season was just so unforgettable. Fun team to follow. Smith's brilliance. Lane's sheer power and of course the broken backboard. Gore's rap videos. Sean Miller running the point. Great memories there.

-

Comment

• Wonder who will be the coach at Pitt in 4-6 years? I certainly don't think it will be Capel. I see his turnaround taking another leap next year once he has a few legit bigs and then the sharks will start coming after him as early as next year. They might this off-season.

D1 contracts can be bought out like nothing. He's well-respected. It's unfortunately a matter of time until a high-profile school comes and takes him.

Comment

I've actually never heard of that one. Sounds like something I would love to see. Inch for inch and pound for pound he may have been one of the most impressive basketball players ever created.

I've got a trivia question for you----name the NBA team that Pistol Pete finished up his career with 40 years ago?

-
            Was it the Boston Celtics?
            His passes were incredible. He was magic before Magic!
            some say he might not have been allowed to play in college today, because the congenital heart defect would have been detected today ( which took his life).

where was pistol going to college, had his father not insisted that he play for him at LSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

some say he might not have been allowed to play in college today, because the congenital heart defect would have been detected today ( which took his life).

where was pistol going to college, had his father not insisted that he play for him at LSU?
              He wanted to attend WVU, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Celtics are correct. He finished up there in the spring of 1980.

-

Comment

Wonder who will be the coach at Pitt in 4-6 years? I certainly don't think it will be Capel. I see his turnaround taking another leap next year once he has a few legit bigs and then the sharks will start coming after him as early as next year. They might this off-season.

D1 contracts can be bought out like nothing. He's well-respected. It's unfortunately a matter of time until a high-profile school comes and takes him.
                  Well, the Wake Forest job is rumored to be open after the season. Capel is from the state of North Carolina. But he has put A LOT of effort into the Pitt rebuild. I find it hard to believe that he would leave after a couple of years of arduous work to simply walk into another uphill program reboot. I believe Pitt recently signed him to an extension. It was probably in part related to upping the buyout clause.

On his one radio show segment he expressed his annoyance of the negative sentiments and naysayers around Pitt ball all saying that he would leave in a year or two and that Jalen Hood-Schfino would never come to Pitt.

If I did have to name some candidates who could be up next at Pitt if Capel did leave----Sean Miller and Jason Capel would be a couple of good guesses. Apparently Miller was closer than many would think last time out. The stigma of the scandal out at 'Zona kept him from getting the offer. Jason has apparently remarked to some that he is more or less done with coaching and is only in it currently because of his brother. I have no idea if that is really true. But he may like the idea of getting his bro's office and a big, big pay increase. It might make sense to retain that Capel brand.

Who knows, Brandin Knight could even be a strong candidate. But hopefully there is no change for a long time.

-

Comment

He wanted to attend WVU, correct?
                    Correct!

Comment

Wonder who will be the coach at Pitt in 4-6 years? I certainly don't think it will be Capel. I see his turnaround taking another leap next year once he has a few legit bigs and then the sharks will start coming after him as early as next year. They might this off-season.

Last edited by IUPTrackMan; 02-25-2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Dixon did have an incredible record at Pitt and winning percent. But if you go back and look at his early season schedules you will see game after game against opponents who had zero chance of ever beating Pitt. Plus, the Big East was not the ACC. He certainly had his run at Pitt and did very well with it. Good person as well.

-

Comment

• Comment

Dixon did have an incredible record at Pitt and winning percent. But if you go back and look at his early season schedules you will see game after game against opponents who had zero chance of ever beating Pitt. Plus, the Big East was not the ACC. He certainly had his run at Pitt and did very well with it. Good person as well.

-

Comment

• Last edited by IUPTrackMan; 02-26-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Pitt men's basketball average attendance per game keeps seeing impressive increases during the Jeff Capel era of the past two years at the Pete.

4,177 in 2017-18 (under Stullings)

6,749 in 2018-19

8,825 this year

That is more than double from two years ago!

Just more proof of the fantastic job that Capel has done in his program reboot! It's as Rappin' Demetrius Gore once said---- Pitt's on the rise!

Ignore the naysayers and those who would come down from the hills to shoot the wounded. This thing is going to completely turn around. It's shocking to read and hear all the negative comments of late. "Pitt is going to lose all their players to transfer. The coach is going to flee. The recruits are going to bail. The Tower of learning is going to topple over. The whole Pitt campus is going to vanish into a giant sink hole and fall all the way to China."

Well, my God.

It's time to keep the faith and believe!

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X