Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Okay, moving screen or not? The basketball universe seems to be blowing up over the moving screen call that gave the ball back to Iowa with less than four seconds left. Essentially what I’m seeing is UConn fans and everyone who hates Kaitlin Clark say it wasn’t a foul and “they just want Iowa to win.” Basketball fans generally with no horse in the race say it was a foul and should have been called. Then there’s the crowd that says “It’s a foul but you can’t call it in that spot.”

To that last point I say nonsense. A foul is a foul regardless of when it happens. To me it was a clear moving screen and appropriately called by the official. For what it’s worth though, I thought Clark should have been called for an offensive foul a few moments earlier but instead she ended up getting a big basket. Just curious about the board’s opinion on what went down. I thought Paige Bueckers showed total class when asked about it in the post-game interview. She basically said they shouldn’t have let it come down to that and that she should have done more because a game isn’t decided on one play.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, Bronny is a star -- perhaps more Hollywood than hardwood at this point, but, regardless. That would be a massive amount of publicity for Duquesne.

I was trying to think back to the last 'star' Duquesne landed. I think it goes all the way back to Tommy Pipkins - in the mid-90s. Pipkins dominated the WPIAL out of Valley High School, and picked the Dukes (some say oddly) over offers from nearly every major program in the country (North Carolina, etc.).
    He’s been active on Twitter posting photos of himself in various Power 5 uniforms.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Some have characterized him as Lebron's best friend. Dambrot was Lebron's high school coach.
    Well, Bronny is a star -- perhaps more Hollywood than hardwood at this point, but, regardless. That would be a massive amount of publicity for Duquesne.

I was trying to think back to the last 'star' Duquesne landed. I think it goes all the way back to Tommy Pipkins - in the mid-90s. Pipkins dominated the WPIAL out of Valley High School, and picked the Dukes (some say oddly) over offers from nearly every major program in the country (North Carolina, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

There is some buzz.

I guess LeBron is tight with the new HC.
    Some have characterized him as Lebron's best friend. Dambrot was Lebron's high school coach.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Duquesne?
    There is some buzz.

I guess LeBron is tight with the new HC.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Bronny James entering portal.
    Duquesne?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Over Rated

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Angel Reese's post-game presser is almost too much to disect.
    Not necessarily related specifically to the topic at hand, but I sort of get a chuckle out of how the NCAA (or maybe it's somebody else, I don't know) coddles these student athletes at the podium after the games are finished. That media availability was like 8 minutes. There's only a limited number of questions they are permitted to be asked, or they are only available for a very, very short period of time. When that time is up, a representative tells the student athletes they can go leave and go back to the locker room. Somebody asked Kim Mulkey a question while her players were there and she snapped saying, "No, let's wait until they leave to ask those questions." That's the strangest thing in my opinion.

Some of these individuals are - now - making significant dollars to play their sport. Some are the face of brands through social media influencing. You want all that glitz and glam? Face the music when you need to speak to the media. The nature of what exists in collegiate athletics now is exactly what many of these athletes wanted. They said they were professionals. Whoever protects them in the postgame media availability should step away.

Jim Boeheim always had it right. He opened up the entire locker room as soon as he was done addressing his team. He said if players wanted to play in the NBA, then they needed to experience and learn to deal with the media. He wasn't locking the door and coddling them.
    Last edited by IUP24; 04-02-2024, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    No doubt she had a winning speech and a losing speech planned. Sorry she had to use her bo-hooo speech. Everything she said was ridiculous on many levels.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

She’s a great athlete and also happens to be a young, attractive black woman. I’ll never understand what she goes through especially in this day and age where she is so accessible to ignorant idiots on social media. But she brought the whole Caitlin Clark situation on herself and has never stopped playing the victim about it. Clark took the high road and if Reese had done the same it would’ve been a non issue after a few days.
    I will never understand cashing the fat check to be in the Swimsuit Edition and then saying you've been sexualized.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    She’s a great athlete and also happens to be a young, attractive black woman. I’ll never understand what she goes through especially in this day and age where she is so accessible to ignorant idiots on social media. But she brought the whole Caitlin Clark situation on herself and has never stopped playing the victim about it. Clark took the high road and if Reese had done the same it would’ve been a non issue after a few days.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    I really don’t want to be an Angel Reese hater but she can be really hard to like. In my opinion if she just walked off the court last year with dignity and didn’t do the “ring thing,” she wouldn’t be in the position she’s in today. Even if she did it but followed up with, “I let my emotions get the best of me at that moment,” etc., it probably wouldn’t have gotten here. Then there was the whole disappearing from the team issue and her whacked head coach treating her the way she did and it was quickly headed for a dumpster fire.

It’s a shame she’s had a tough run of things over the last year and a lot of it isn’t deserved, but she also hasn’t done herself any favors either. Losing last night may have been the best thing for her. She can focus on the WNBA and start rebuilding her image. One thing is for sure. She’s a damned good basketball player.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    It's amazing Clemson is still in this thing.

If you'd have told me a month ago they'd still be playing I'd have fell over laughing.
    North Carolina State, which sucked much of the season, got hot at the right time, won the ACC tourney to get in, and has gone deep into the tourney. My Northwestern lads, who beat two of the Elite Eight teams this season, Purdue (actually should have beaten them twice) and Illinois, lost two starters to injuries down the stretch, dropped a couple of games to destroy their seeding, and ended up with UConn in the round of 32. It's all about who's hot and who's not.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X