Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me tell you about AAU...

1) The majority of the coaching stinks! These coaches just want to say I "coached" a certain player.

2) All the players care about is themselves getting theirs b/c AAU is just a showcase of "talent." No state titles to compete for.

3) Most college coaches don't recruit High School anymore. Why? Because it's easier for a coach to go sit in a gym on a weekend and watch MANY players than it is to go watch one High School game and maybe see 1-2 college level players.

4) All the trash play that goes on in these AAU tournaments translates to the D1 game. Notice the structure of Tom Izzo's teams vs Coach K. Izzo gets mostly 4 star guys that stay and learn. Coach K gets one and done players that never learn. Izzo won yesterday because they were fundamentally better even though they weren't as talented.

Comment

• Interesting insights about AAU. It is so ironic that the elite players who could benefit the most from understanding the game receive the least instruction in the fundamentals of the game, unlike the Euro players who are making greater inroads. It would help them stay in the league much longer.

I sense players care only about dominating the individual guarding them, rather than their Team dominating the other team.
      As Crutchfield used to say, "We have not won a pregame warmup yet!". I have seen some amazing and entertaining dunks and dribbling in pregame warm-ups by opponents. Then wlu would blow them out by 40.
      Last edited by Columbuseer; 12-02-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• WVU caught a big break with the Zags' star going out so early with an ankle injury. Should be a good second half.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          WVU caught a big break with the Zags' star going out so early with an ankle injury. Should be a good second half.
          He came back... The difference was WVU's bigs being in foul trouble the whole game. They ran out of gas when they both fouled out. WVU has a couple kids that can shoot this year, they can hang with the big dawgs for once.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

He came back... The difference was WVU's bigs being in foul trouble the whole game. They ran out of gas when they both fouled out. WVU has a couple kids that can shoot this year, they can hang with the big dawgs for once.
            Yep. Changed the whole game. They will be a tough out.

Gonzaga had a real nice luxury having that backup come in who started the past two years at Florida. He carried them there for a bit.

Comment

• If any of you true D2 fans are interested in seeing how good Bellermine is, they are playing Duke tomorrow, 7pm on the ACC network.

Comment

If any of you true D2 fans are interested in seeing how good Bellermine is, they are playing Duke tomorrow, 7pm on the ACC network.
                B is D1 now, I beleive. I think last year was their last in the bus leagues.

Comment

B is D1 now, I beleive. I think last year was their last in the bus leagues.
                  You are right. I totally forgot. They are in the conference with North Alabama, Fl Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, etc. I'll still tune in. I think Bellermine will end up being one of the better schools in that conference.

Comment

You are right. I totally forgot. They are in the conference with North Alabama, Fl Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, etc. I'll still tune in. I think Bellermine will end up being one of the better schools in that conference.
                    Duke isn't quite 'Duke' this year, either. Not yet, anyway. They looked bad in the opener (and struggled) against Coppin State.

Last game they looked bettter but lost to a strong Sparty team.

No fans is a huge visiting team advantage in college basketball. Places like Cameron Indoor take many teams out before tip-off.

Comment

• Former Pitt guard Ryan Murphy has landed at Duquesne.

Comment

Former Pitt guard Ryan Murphy has landed at Duquesne.
                        That is very odd there. I think this may be something like his fifth or sixth school already. He was supposed to play at Tulane but apparently he never enrolled there. Maybe the raging Covid-19 pandemic played a role in his decision since the Big Easy was under siege at the time. I know that he did say how much he liked the city of Pittsburgh on his way out last spring. I guess he will be seeing some more of it.

Too bad Jeff Capel is so steadfast in his refusal to play the Dukes----this would be a terrific storyline.

Comment

Duke isn't quite 'Duke' this year, either. Not yet, anyway. They looked bad in the opener (and struggled) against Coppin State.

Last game they looked bettter but lost to a strong Sparty team.

No fans is a huge visiting team advantage in college basketball. Places like Cameron Indoor take many teams out before tip-off.
                          We are seeing A LOT of bigger schools struggling here in the early going. Kentucky got taken down by Richmond and UVA by San Fran. I think you had mentioned somewhere up above how the new norm amongst the bluebloods is to have to re-stock every year with recruits (albeit usually five stars) as the majority of their previous year's high-end talent opts for the NBA draft. That makes them right for the picking early on until they can get a chance to gel around January as you aptly stated.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That is very odd there. I think this may be something like his fifth or sixth school already. He was supposed to play at Tulane but apparently he never enrolled there. Maybe the raging Covid-19 pandemic played a role in his decision since the Big Easy was under siege at the time. I know that he did say how much he liked the city of Pittsburgh on his way out last spring. I guess he will be seeing some more of it.

Too bad Jeff Capel is so steadfast in his refusal to play the Dukes----this would be a terrific storyline.
                            I finally got to read the story. He's actually classified as a walk-on at Duquesne.

He bailed on Tulane to go overseas but with travel restrictions ... he ended up calling Duquesne. Dambrot didn't have a scholarship available but was obviously interested.

Comment

• Pitt is it! At least for one night anyway. The Panthers with an 89-59 takedown of Northern Illinois or some such team from the Land of Lincoln.

Slam Penny leads the way with 22 points and 10 boards. 15 for Horton on the strength of hitting on five treys.

Great tune-up game to get Pitt ready for Wednesday night's ACC-Big Ten Challenge. Tip at 9:15 PM and on ESPNU.

Lots of minutes and chances to play for everyone tonite. Thank Goodness the team looks better than the first game as it may save folks from taking the leap off of the Tower of Learning.

Comment

• If I read this right in my morning newspaper, Delaware only beat Salem International by 3 points in men's hoops. 79-76

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X