Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's true but you are also assuming WL is going to maintain those numbers against D1 competitors. Not likely. They'd never get the shots off against D1 teams that they do against the much smaller and slower D2 teams.

You saw what a Sleva or Patrick Smith did to WL. Teams like Duke have (5) of them and they are better.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's true but you are also assuming WL is going to maintain those numbers against D1 competitors. Not likely. They'd never get the shots off against D1 teams that they do against the much smaller and slower D2 teams.

You saw what a Sleva or Patrick Smith did to WL. Teams like Duke have (5) of them and they are better.
      I agree about duke and yes any team has to have a good shooting night. But frankly I am not impressed with team defense and shot selection of many d1 teams. If d1 d were so dominant no d2 school would ever challenge any d1 school in a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Of course IUP would lose to Kentucky by 50 in a real January game.

That's too large a leap.

What isn't is the mid-majors. In particular the lower end mid-majors. There are many of these bush league D1 conferences that IUP could do well in during most years.
        I think top tier DII's could hold their own against lower end Mid Majors. And that is probably part of the reason you don't see Mid Majors scheduling top tier DII's be it in exebition games or "real" games!! Zippy benefit for a team like Youngstown State playing, and perhaps LOSING, to a team like WLU or IUP or Fairmont!! As they say..."The juice ain't worth the squeeze."

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I think top tier DII's could hold their own against lower end Mid Majors. And that is probably part of the reason you don't see Mid Majors scheduling top tier DII's be it in exebition games or "real" games!! Zippy benefit for a team like Youngstown State playing, and perhaps LOSING, to a team like WLU or IUP or Fairmont!! As they say..."The juice ain't worth the squeeze."
          Speaking of YSU ... Calhoun probably gonna be a free agent at end of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Good points boat! I think the negative impact on strength of schedule relative to other d1 schools is why d2 opponent will likely always be an exhibition game.

Comment

• Edinboro plays Cleveland State on November 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Edinboro plays Cleveland State on November 9.
                Here is hoping for a big win by Edinboro!

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Here is hoping for a big win by Edinboro!
                  They beat Miami U a few years ago so its certainly possible.

Comment

• PF Elijah Taylor commits to Notre Dame. There's one more big that the Panthers will not be getting.

-

Comment

• Word just breaking that PF Noah Collier has committed to Pitt! That is a nice get! I put some info on him back a few pages on this thread if you want to read more on him.

C John Hugley and PG R.J. Davis were both at the Pitt football game the other day. Hopefully the exciting atmosphere sways them towards the Panthers. Both are high priority recruits.

Some talk of five star SF Josh Hall kicking the tires of the Pitt program down in Oakland. Top 30 or so player nationally.

Still no definitive or official word on exactly what the status of frosh Justin Champagnie is in regards to his rumored injury.

-

Comment

• Let's get caught up on a few Pitt happenings---

-C John Hugley just completed his official visit to Pitt this weekend. There are some who believe that a Pitt commitment is imminent from him while others feel that North Carolina State looms large in his recruiting decision. Stay tuned for that.

-C Big Cliff Omoruyi (6-11, from Roselle Cathoic in New Jersey) has trimmed his recruiting wish list to a dozen schools and Pitt made the cut. But most observers feel that events would really have to line up for him to commit to Pitt. One wildcard may be is that he has family living in Pittsburgh.

-Some talk of Pitt taking a good look at Karim Coulibaly's Mali National Team front court-mate 6-9 C Adama Sanogo. He is a 2021 recruit but could be a possible 2020 reclass.

-There has been some comment from Head Coach Jeff Capel regarding the Justin Champagnie knee injury. The injury has been all but confirmed and it seems that the program is in the process of gathering various medical opinions on it. No word yet if he will return to play this year or sit out with a medical redshirt. Hopefully the former.

-A nice gesture from the Pitt program towards the players has been to issue each player their own laptop computer to aid them in their academic endeavors. The team has also been working very hard on a preseason physical conditioning program that includes predawn runs carrying weights through Oakland and plenty of work in the weight room.

-The Panthers began practice for the upcoming season several days ago.

-

Comment

• I saw Hugley play last year and I just saw a big strong guy inside. Did not see much more that would warrant high d1.
                          Maybe he developed over the summer. Clearly experts see something in him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            I saw Hugley play last year and I just saw a big strong guy inside. Did not see much more that would warrant high d1.
                            Maybe he developed over the summer. Clearly experts see something in him.
                            Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, Pitt really does need some big and strong guys inside. I also didn't see an overabundance of athleticism on the tape samplings that I got to view. But the dude is huge and can hold his position. I believe that his weight was once upwards to 320 before he got it trimmed down to the 250 neighborhood. He is raw but can be developed from what I heard. It's the old adage= you can't coach size and he has plenty of it. His services are in demand from a number of D-I schools.

-

Comment

• Looks like John Hugley is set to announce his college decision on Friday October 18 at 3:30 PM at Brush High. Some believe that it was down to Pitt, North Carolina State, and K-State. He just canceled a visit to the latter school. Hopefully this bodes well for Pitt. He is just coming off back to back weekend visits in Oakland. Many feel that he will pick the Panthers. Stay tuned for that.

-

Comment

• A few Pitt tidbits to add---

-Five-star SG Earl Timberlake had trimmed his list of schools down to five with Pitt, South Carolina, Miami, Seton Hall and Providence all making the cut. He rather surprisingly canceled his official visit to North Carolina. Some crystal ballers out there actually have him choosing between Seton Hall and Providence. His decision should be coming sometime soon.

-6-10 C Ebenezer Dowuona out of the Heritage School in Georgia has Pitt listed in his final five schools along with San Diego State, North Carolina State, South Florida, and Denver.

-Pitt guards Xavier Johnson and Trey McGowens have been chosen to represent the Panthers at the upcoming ACC media day.

-Regarding Justin Champagnie's knee injury---he has seen some improvement in it but it is still being evaluated. Missing the season is still a possibility on the table.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X