Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't look now but the Pitt hoops team will be donning black and gold uniforms for Tuesday nite's tilt against Rutgers. They were designed to pay homage to the city's pro sports teams who of course all wear the black and gold. No word yet on if Wiz Khalifa's Black and Yellow will be piped in for pregame warm ups.

Looks like Penn State may have themselves a basketball team out in Happy Valley. The Lions took down Syracuse the other night by 20+.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Don't look now but the Pitt hoops team will be donning black and gold uniforms for Tuesday nite's tilt against Rutgers. They were designed to pay homage to the city's pro sports teams who of course all wear the black and gold. No word yet on if Wiz Khalifa's Black and Yellow will be piped in for pregame warm ups.

Looks like Penn State may have themselves a basketball team out in Happy Valley. The Lions took down Syracuse the other night by 20+.

-
      If you want some comical reading check out the Syracuse message boards. They make our cesspool football side seem like kids' stuff.

Comment

• Haven't been following this thread since, in general, D1 sports don't interest me. But a story in NY DAILY NEWS caught my eye. G'TOWN HC PATRICK EWING announced that his starting PG JAMES AKINJO and significant sub JOSH LEBLANC " will not play for MBB for the rest of the season, effective immediately". No further explanation was given but it seems like there must be much more to it. If anyone has connect to the BE office or GT, I'd be interested in more detail.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          Haven't been following this thread since, in general, D1 sports don't interest me. But a story in NY DAILY NEWS caught my eye. G'TOWN HC PATRICK EWING announced that his starting PG JAMES AKINJO and significant sub JOSH LEBLANC " will not play for MBB for the rest of the season, effective immediately". No further explanation was given but it seems like there must be much more to it. If anyone has connect to the BE office or GT, I'd be interested in more detail.
          The reason hasn't leaked out yet but both have officially entered the transfer portal. Akinjo is a superstar. If it was a criminal matter it would have leaked out as they can't hide that type of stuff.

Comment

• Neither will be at IUP, carry on!

Comment

• Pitt a winner last evening over Rutgers at the Pete by a 71-60 count. Pitt's trio of guards came up big. 20 points and 8 assists for Xavier Johnson. 16 points for Trey McGowens and 15 for the Murph Dawg. Au'Diese Toney at long last rediscovered his offensive game with 10 points. Eric Hamilton pulled down eight boards. Certainly one of the big stories was zero points for freshman standout Slam Penny, although he did make valuable contributions on the rebounding and defensive end.

A few tidbits on the game---

-Pitt looked very good in their black and gold uniforms. Maybe a "Pitt" in script would have looked better than the large P on the front. But all in all, a great look for them. If the city of Pittsburgh should ever land an NBA team then this would be a fantastic uni for them.

-Former Pitt star guard and current Rutgers assistant Brandin Knight made his return to the Pete. He was given a tribute in the form of a video and a rousing ovation from the Pitt faithful. Apparently his #20 is one of only four numbers that have been retired by Pitt in MBB. I wonder who the other three would be. Just a guess would be Charles Smith #32 and Jerome Lane #34 and maybe DeJaun Blair, though I don't recall his number offhand.

-Steelers QB Duck Hodges was in attendance.

-The victory marked the first time that Pitt has won three consecutive games over P5 opponents since 2014.

-Pitt moves its record to 7-2 on the year with wins against P5 competition such as Florida State, Kansas State, Northwestern, and Rutgers.

The Panthers now turn their attention to Friday night's showdown at #1 Louisville. Pitt did defeat the Cardinals last winter but will be facing a major challenge to do it again. I caught some of their game against Michigan and they do look pretty good.

-

Comment

Pitt a winner last evening over Rutgers at the Pete by a 71-60 count. Pitt's trio of guards came up big. 20 points and 8 assists for Xavier Johnson. 16 points for Trey McGowens and 15 for the Murph Dawg. Au'Diese Toney at long last rediscovered his offensive game with 10 points. Eric Hamilton pulled down eight boards. Certainly one of the big stories was zero points for freshman standout Slam Penny, although he did make valuable contributions on the rebounding and defensive end.

A few tidbits on the game---

-Pitt looked very good in their black and gold uniforms. Maybe a "Pitt" in script would have looked better than the large P on the front. But all in all, a great look for them. If the city of Pittsburgh should ever land an NBA team then this would be a fantastic uni for them.

-Former Pitt star guard and current Rutgers assistant Brandin Knight made his return to the Pete. He was given a tribute in the form of a video and a rousing ovation from the Pitt faithful. Apparently his #20 is one of only four numbers that have been retired by Pitt in MBB. I wonder who the other three would be. Just a guess would be Charles Smith #32 and Jerome Lane #34 and maybe DeJaun Blair, though I don't recall his number offhand.

-Steelers QB Duck Hodges was in attendance.

-The victory marked the first time that Pitt has won three consecutive games over P5 opponents since 2014.

-Pitt moves its record to 7-2 on the year with wins against P5 competition such as Florida State, Kansas State, Northwestern, and Rutgers.

The Panthers now turn their attention to Friday night's showdown at #1 Louisville. Pitt did defeat the Cardinals last winter but will be facing a major challenge to do it again. I caught some of their game against Michigan and they do look pretty good.

-
                I haven't seen the box score to confirm but video of the Duck Hodges and Brandin Knight moments made the Pete attendance look awfully sparse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I haven't seen the box score to confirm but video of the Duck Hodges and Brandin Knight moments made the Pete attendance look awfully sparse.
                  Announced was about 7,200-ish

Comment

I just watched from television but yeah I did see quite a few empty seats from different angles that they showed. I guess the place won't get filled up until the heavies like North Carolina show up. The Zoo student section looked like it had a good and spirited turnout.

-

Comment

• Some numbers on Pitt home attendance this season--

Florida State- 9,016

Nicholls State- 7,956

West Virginia- 11,725

Monmouth- 6,753

Arkansas Pine Bluff- 7,068

Rutgers- 7,894

-

Comment

Some numbers on Pitt home attendance this season--

Florida State- 9,016

Nicholls State- 7,956

West Virginia- 11,725

Monmouth- 6,753

Arkansas Pine Bluff- 7,068

Rutgers- 7,894

-
                        Is that the same guy counting tickets who works at PNC Park?

Say a prayer for Friday night. Louisville gets 22,000 a game. It's deafening in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Is that the same guy counting tickets who works at PNC Park?

Say a prayer for Friday night. Louisville gets 22,000 a game. It's deafening in there.
                          Capel did appear to be in deep prayer during the one game that Pitt was playing terrible. Maybe it will be granted. But yeah, it's going to be tough.

The good news in the ACC this year is the bottom half of it does not look all that great thus far. Pitt should be very competitive with a lot of the teams outside of Duke, UNC, Virginia and Louisville. Boston College got completely roasted by Northwestern on their own court. One would think the Panthers should walk all over them and certainly a few others.

-

Comment

Haven't been following this thread since, in general, D1 sports don't interest me. But a story in NY DAILY NEWS caught my eye. G'TOWN HC PATRICK EWING announced that his starting PG JAMES AKINJO and significant sub JOSH LEBLANC " will not play for MBB for the rest of the season, effective immediately". No further explanation was given but it seems like there must be much more to it. If anyone has connect to the BE office or GT, I'd be interested in more detail.
                            Turns out there was more to it. LEBLANC, along with MYRON GARDNER and GALEN ALEXANDER have been charged civilly with taking items from a woman's home. GARDNER and ALEXANDER are still on the team. AKINJO was not apparently part of the issue. On top of all that GT first 2020 commit, TERRENCE WILLIAMS 6'6" 220 F out of GONZAGA HS has decommitted.

Comment

Turns out there was more to it. LEBLANC, along with MYRON GARDNER and GALEN ALEXANDER have been charged civilly with taking items from a woman's home. GARDNER and ALEXANDER are still on the team. AKINJO was not apparently part of the issue. On top of all that GT first 2020 commit, TERRENCE WILLIAMS 6'6" 220 F out of GONZAGA HS has decommitted.
                              Don't forget sexual assault.

Comment

Don't forget sexual assault.
                                That one puzzles me since everyone involved seems to be going about business. Serious SA cases usually have someone behind bars.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X