Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It would be hard for them to crack down too much on Pitt after totally letting North Cheatolina get away with rampant academic fraud.
    Absolutely and let's not forget about the scandals that were swept under the rug involving the Arizona hoops program and Will Wade of LSU. Rules violations are rampant everywhere believe me. What Pitt did was basically absolutely nothing at all. I think it was more a result of things that spilled over from the Stullings fiasco. Pitt and Heather Lyke handled it prudently. Should be little or no harm to either program.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Absolutely and let's not forget about the scandals that were swept under the rug involving the Arizona hoops program and Will Wade of LSU. Rules violations are rampant everywhere believe me. What Pitt did was basically absolutely nothing at all. I think it was more a result of things that spilled over from the Stullings fiasco. Pitt and Heather Lyke handled it prudently. Should be little or no harm to either program.

-
      NASCAR quote:

"It ain't racin' if you aren't cheatin' ... "

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

NASCAR quote:

"It ain't racin' if you aren't cheatin' ... "
        It certainly has paid handsome dividends for teams like the Astros and Cheatriots*. That's why I was so glad to see the Big Red Chief Andy Reid hoist that SB Trophy. He seems to be clean. Right?

-

Comment

• Pitt's furious comeback sparked by the heroics of Xavier Johnson came up a tad short yesterday as they fell to Virginia 59-56. Ryan Murphy's last gasp three-point attempt looked to be true but it left his hand a split second too late. Pitt falls to 15-13 overall. Back in action Wednesday night at the Pete as they host Syracuse in their final home game of the season at 7 PM.

The operative word of yesterday's game was Odukale! 6-5 guard Femi Odukale was in attendance as he took his official visit over the weekend. It was probably no coincidence that prize recruit Big John Hugley was also present at the game as well. Odukale later tweeted out that he had a great time on his visit to Oakland. Hopefully that bodes well for the Panthers. It was also reported that a 7-7 center from Romania was also at the game as well. No official word if the kid was on a visit. But he seemed to be dismissed by all who saw him as way too thin and uncoordinated. Also didn't sound like his playing record was much to brag about either.

Penn State is in action today at noon against Indiana. Looks like a lot of the top five teams took losses yesterday. Baylor, Gonzaga, and previously unbeaten San Diego State all went down. This year's NCAA tourney should be wide-open.

-

Comment

• As most know, I'm a big Pitt fan. I used to love Pitt basketball. I hope Jeff Capel gets it right again, and maybe he will, but let's be honest.... This team stinks. Still. They really aren't much better than last year. If you think they are, then you're fooling yourself. Awful guard play. No effective bigs. No depth on the roster. Xavier Johnson spent all summer talking about how he was going to leave to go to the NBA after this year. He's arguably been Pitt's worst player. Trey McGowens isn't that far behind.

Apologies for being the pessimist.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
              As most know, I'm a big Pitt fan. I used to love Pitt basketball. I hope Jeff Capel gets it right again, and maybe he will, but let's be honest.... This team stinks. Still. They really aren't much better than last year. If you think they are, then you're fooling yourself. Awful guard play. No effective bigs. No depth on the roster. Xavier Johnson spent all summer talking about how he was going to leave to go to the NBA after this year. He's arguably been Pitt's worst player. Trey McGowens isn't that far behind.

No apology is needed here. A lot of what you say is the truth. They did okay for a time. They are just worn down to nothing and don't have the needed personnel to sustain themselves this deep into the ACC slate. It is going to take some time for this all to come together. But they have made some real progress with things although it is hard to notice at the moment. Recruiting is paramount right now as it has been since Capel took over. Johnson and McGowens have been frustrating far too often to be sure, but we also need to be cognizant of how other teams can really focus on them and take away the things they do best. But yeah, it is hard to take. Hopefully next year will be better when they can roll out some more front line talent.

This team was not very deep and then guys like Drumgoole and Murphy got badly stung by the injury bug and have had a difficult time coming back. Even Hamilton to some extent.

This is only year two of the rebuild. It's just going to take time. If Capel stays long enough I have faith he will be successful in the restoration of this once great program.

Got a trivia question for you----yesterday during the game they showed the four Pitt MBB numbers that have been retired. Can you name them and who wore them?

-

Comment

No apology is needed here. A lot of what you say is the truth. They did okay for a time. They are just worn down to nothing and don't have the needed personnel to sustain themselves this deep into the ACC slate. It is going to take some time for this all to come together. But they have made some real progress with things although it is hard to notice at the moment. Recruiting is paramount right now as it has been since Capel took over. Johnson and McGowens have been frustrating far too often to be sure, but we also need to be cognizant of how other teams can really focus on them and take away the things they do best. But yeah, it is hard to take. Hopefully next year will be better when they can roll out some more front line talent.

This team was not very deep and then guys like Drumgoole and Murphy got badly stung by the injury bug and have had a difficult time coming back. Even Hamilton to some extent.

This is only year two of the rebuild. It's just going to take time. If Capel stays long enough I have faith he will be successful in the restoration of this once great program.

Got a trivia question for you----yesterday during the game they showed the four Pitt MBB numbers that have been retired. Can you name them and who wore them?

-
                Sean Miller

Jerome Lane

Comment

Sean Miller

Jerome Lane
                  Those would be really good guesses and ones that I would certainly make. But according to what I read up on---neither of those great players had their jersey retired although Lane's #34 has since been taken out of circulation.

10- Don Hennon (1956-59)
                  20- Brandin Knight (1999-2003)
                  32- Charles Smith (1984-1988)
                  34- Billy Knight (1971-1974)

I really hear a lot of the old timers talk up how good Billy Knight was. He must have really been something else.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                    As most know, I'm a big Pitt fan. I used to love Pitt basketball. I hope Jeff Capel gets it right again, and maybe he will, but let's be honest.... This team stinks. Still. They really aren't much better than last year. If you think they are, then you're fooling yourself. Awful guard play. No effective bigs. No depth on the roster. Xavier Johnson spent all summer talking about how he was going to leave to go to the NBA after this year. He's arguably been Pitt's worst player. Trey McGowens isn't that far behind.

Comment

• Comment

• Chuck and IUP24. I certainly don't find anything to overly disagree with you on. This is an expansive rebuild that Jeff Capel took on two springs ago. It is going to take time. His recruiting is slowly ramping upward and he will be getting very good players soon. He certainly already has gotten some. The biggest problem at the moment is what I alluded to in several posts up above----they are worn down into the ground after a valiant effort throughout much of the season. They are just not nearly deep enough to sustain themselves as the ACC schedule goes through February. Capel made reference to that fact the other night down in Talahassee after the Florida State defeat. He talked about the difference in the game being that the Seminoles were able to bring wave after wave of fresh players out against them. The attrition of the season has taken its toll on the Panthers.

But lets not forget that they have come up with some decent victories as well this season----Florida State, Rutgers, Kansas State, Northwestern, etc. They also played tough games against Louisville, Duke, Syracuse, and Virginia. Their recruiting efforts this season have gone pretty well with hopefully more to come. Don't lose faith, Capel just needs more time to put everything together. He has done a rather remarkable job thus far. There have also been a lot of behind the scenes type of stuff that he and Pitt have done a tremendous job with. Great things are to come. We just need to be patient.

A recruiting tidbit on IUPalum's favorite player, William Jeffress seems to be him focused on ten schools at the moment----Pitt, Penn State, Stanford, Virginia, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Memphis, Baylor, Villanova, and Vanderbilt.

I don't think that necessarily bodes all that well for Pitt or at least it does not sound like they are the slam dunk that many crystal ballers were saying. I guess the plan for him is to play in the postseason with some thinking he and his team (McDowell) could advance all the way to the state title game in later March and then make some visits.

I see that Big Cliff Omoryuri announced a final five for his services. Odds on favorite is Kentucky IMHO.

-

Comment

Those would be really good guesses and ones that I would certainly make. But according to what I read up on---neither of those great players had their jersey retired although Lane's #34 has since been taken out of circulation.

10- Don Hennon (1956-59)
                          20- Brandin Knight (1999-2003)
                          32- Charles Smith (1984-1988)
                          34- Billy Knight (1971-1974)

I really hear a lot of the old timers talk up how good Billy Knight was. He must have really been something else.

-

Comment

• That's all very interesting. That was nice of Knight and his teammate to sign the autograph like that. Now days you would probably not even be able to get near the bench. Different world. Every time you talk to an older Pitt fan the name Billy Knight comes up. Sort of like how the older IUP crowd some years back would talk up watching Jack Crossan play up in Waller Hall. Legends get remembered. I have to admit that I have never even heard of Don Hennon. Yeah, nice company he kept on the All-America team.

I wonder if Knight played for the Pittsburgh Pipers of the ABA? That must have been cool to have a pro team in the 'burgh. Some of those old ABA teams merged into the NBA. Too bad Pittsburgh didn't get a franchise in there.

I'm old enough to go back to the days of Charles Smith and Jerome Lane. That 1987-88 season was just so unforgettable. Fun team to follow. Smith's brilliance. Lane's sheer power and of course the broken backboard. Gore's rap videos. Sean Miller running the point. Great memories there.

-

Comment

That's all very interesting. That was nice of Knight and his teammate to sign the autograph like that. Now days you would probably not even be able to get near the bench. Different world. Every time you talk to an older Pitt fan the name Billy Knight comes up. Sort of like how the older IUP crowd some years back would talk up watching Jack Crossan play up in Waller Hall. Legends get remembered. I have to admit that I have never even heard of Don Hennon. Yeah, nice company he kept on the All-America team.

I wonder if Knight played for the Pittsburgh Pipers of the ABA? That must have been cool to have a pro team in the 'burgh. Some of those old ABA teams merged into the NBA. Too bad Pittsburgh didn't get a franchise in there.

I'm old enough to go back to the days of Charles Smith and Jerome Lane. That 1987-88 season was just so unforgettable. Fun team to follow. Smith's brilliance. Lane's sheer power and of course the broken backboard. Gore's rap videos. Sean Miller running the point. Great memories there.

-
                              Jack's statistics were amazing. Consider, too, he didn't have the three-point line. If he did ... goodness. He was really IUP's version of Jimmy Chitwood.

I still can't fathom there was a court in Waller Hall. I've stood in there many times and tried to imagine it. If you read the old accounts they said the 'homecourt advantage' was the place was so claustrophobic for visitors that it would really freak them out. Imagine an even tighter version of IHS's 'old' gym.

I can imagine when they went from Waller to the Memorial Field House ... had to be like a different world. And, then, of course, going from MFH to the KCAC.

I was disappointed the men's team didn't play a game over there this year. Last year when IUP beat Shippensburg the game was inside the MFH. It was packed and was really a throwback to a different time. The KCAC noise level doesn't touch what IUP used to get in MFH. I've long said on here so long as the place is still standing they should play one game a year over there. The 'townies' and older crowd like it.

Comment

Jack's statistics were amazing. Consider, too, he didn't have the three-point line. If he did ... goodness. He was really IUP's version of Jimmy Chitwood.

I still can't fathom there was a court in Waller Hall. I've stood in there many times and tried to imagine it. If you read the old accounts they said the 'homecourt advantage' was the place was so claustrophobic for visitors that it would really freak them out. Imagine an even tighter version of IHS's 'old' gym.

I can imagine when they went from Waller to the Memorial Field House ... had to be like a different world. And, then, of course, going from MFH to the KCAC.

I was disappointed the men's team didn't play a game over there this year. Last year when IUP beat Shippensburg the game was inside the MFH. It was packed and was really a throwback to a different time. The KCAC noise level doesn't touch what IUP used to get in MFH. I've long said on here so long as the place is still standing they should play one game a year over there. The 'townies' and older crowd like it.
                                It is odd to picture Waller as a hoops court at one time. That would be going back quite a few moon ago. I think they moved into the Memorial Field House around 1966 IIRC. I much prefer the MFH to the KCAC. I like the old gym feel of basketball arenas. It just feels right sitting up in the bleachers.

Imagine what Pistol Pete would have done had he had the three-point line. His stats were absurd enough as it was.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X