Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Laugh if you will, but I am announcing at 4 PM on Friday if I am going to be back as a Pitt fan for the 2020-21 season. LOL.

-
    Irrelevant. Probably won't be a season.

Comment

Murphy's an okay sort of player but probably not a bona fide ACC type. But McGowens I believe was a top 100 guy on some recruit ratings a few years ago. He was also a reclass for the class of 2018---means he was like 17 and should of been a high school senior his frosh year. He was a very good get for Jeff Capel and did lend some credence to his first Pitt recruiting class. He actually is good basketball player. He scored in the 30s twice for Pitt in his freshman season in big and much-needed ACC wins. But things seemed to go south for him this year. He didn't seem to be a great fit for one reason or another. Some said he was homesick much of his time at Pitt and that he wanted to be the point guard. There is also the expected emergence of transfer Ithiel Horton who may have cut into his playing time at the two next season. I see that he has his list down to his final eight choices for his next school----Ole Miss, Bama, Xavier, Nebraska, Seton Hall, TCU, Arkansas, and Auburn.
      Homesick? What message board are you reading?

Pat Bostick was homesick too. Then he came back and beat WVU in the Backyard Brawl. Hopefully McGowens and his posse have fun playing PG.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Homesick? What message board are you reading?
        That's where the inside connections help out a little. Trey was 17 I believe when he came up to Pitt. He was from South Carolina. It is not such a stretch that he would feel that way. Probably the winters of western PA did not help either. But certainly he probably did make a good choice in coming to Pitt as he was an instant starter for an ACC team.

Pat Bostick was homesick too. Then he came back and beat WVU in the Backyard Brawl. Hopefully McGowens and his posse have fun playing PG.
        Hopefully he will not be punched in the face at his next school.

His final five schools are Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Nebraska.

Ryan Murphy has committed to Tulane. Great time to want to head to the Big Easy.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Irrelevant. Probably won't be a season.
          I will be announcing at 4 PM tomorrow. I have whittled my list down to five schools/teams that I will choose from:

-Pitt men's basketball

-St. Francis Red Flash men

-Strong Vincent Middle School (IUPalum did an admirable job of salesmanship here)

-Columbus Blue Jackets (is that even a basketball team?)

-West Shamokin girls basketball

And oh ye of little faith. Word from Pitt is that a possible vaccine for Covid-19 has been discovered. Just more proof that Pitt leads the way. H2P

-
          Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 04-03-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

That's where the inside connections help out a little. Trey was 17 I believe when he came up to Pitt. He was from South Carolina. It is not such a stretch that he would feel that way. Probably the winters of western PA did not help either. But certainly he probably did make a good choice in coming to Pitt as he was an instant starter for an ACC team.

Hopefully he will not be punched in the face at his next school.

His final five schools are Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Nebraska.

Ryan Murphy has committed to Tulane. Great time to want to head to the Big Easy.

-

Comment

• Word filtering down that Trey McGowens has committed to Nebraska. Makes sense. No where near his Palmetto State home and they were 7-25 last season. He must have really wanted to play PG really, really bad. Nuts!

-

Comment

• 4pm Friday came and went with no announcement! Fair weather fan!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                  4pm Friday came and went with no announcement! Fair weather fan!!!!!
                  I do apologize, IUPalum. Perhaps you were even the one who sent the rather irate private message about standing in the rain while waiting for the announcement to come down. I actually am doing the social distancing thing so I made the announcement in quite understated fashion by coloring in my choice up above in blue. But don't worry, I will keep a watchful eye on Erie hoops.

Just like Xavier, Slam Penny and Au'Diese, I too am returning to Pitt for the 2020-21 season! H2P!

Let's get to some Pitt news here---

Pitt made the final eight (and then rather peculiarly the final nine) of former Wichita State commit JaDun Michael. he is a 6-5 four-star wing out of the state of North Carolina. He de-committed from WSU over concerns about being so far away from his family in times like these. He also listed Penn State in his list of final candidates. My personal feeling is that he will likely go to NC State. But stay tuned for that.

Also, Pitt is talking with 6-8 Rice SF transfer Trey Murphy III. He would not be eligible to play at Pitt this year as per NCAA transfer regulations. He is a good player but what an odd name as we just saw a Trey and a Murphy exit Pitt.

Pitt is locked in waiting mode for standout McDowell wing Will Jeffress who is unable to make any official visits to his other schools that he expressed interest in. A few wildcards for him may be Stanford and Baylor as he has an uncle who works at the latter institution. Virginia could also be in play. Hard to know in such unsettled times as we have been experiencing. But Pitt would have to be considered as a strong bet with a two hour from the Jeffress home and a good medical program/school in Oakland. He also has the benefit of having visited campus with his family earlier in the season.

-
                  Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 04-05-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Word filtering down that Trey McGowens has committed to Nebraska. Makes sense. No where near his Palmetto State home and they were 7-25 last season. He must have really wanted to play PG really, really bad. Nuts!

-
                    Am I remembering correctly that Xavier Johnson decommitted from Nebraska when he came to Pitt. Now McGowens is going to be their PG?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
                      Am I remembering correctly that Xavier Johnson decommitted from Nebraska when he came to Pitt. Now McGowens is going to be their PG?
                      You are absolutely correct here. Good memory. Xavier was indeed a Nebraska commit initially. I believe that there may have been a coaching change there that prompted him to go with Jeff Capel and Pitt in the spring of 2018.

Odd how things work out. Like someone joked----Pitt obtained Xavier from the Cornhuskers for a player to be named later. LOL.

-

Comment

You are absolutely correct here. Good memory. Xavier was indeed a Nebraska commit initially. I believe that there may have been a coaching change there that prompted him to go with Jeff Capel and Pitt in the spring of 2018.

Odd how things work out. Like someone joked----Pitt obtained Xavier from the Cornhuskers for a player to be named later. LOL.

-
                        Being a basketball player at Nebraska is likely worse than being a football player at Duke. Add to it he's going to sit out a full season (granted, they all may be sitting out a full season).

Lincoln is a pretty odd place. Strange choice.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Being a basketball player at Nebraska is likely worse than being a football player at Duke. Add to it he's going to sit out a full season (granted, they all may be sitting out a full season).

Lincoln is a pretty odd place. Strange choice.
                            I agree. It is a very odd choice for McGowens. Some think that he may have chosen the coach more than anything. Fred Hoiberg seems to be highly regarded by some. But in the last analysis, McGowens is gone from Pitt. What he does from this point on is of little consequence to those who cheer the Panthers.

A few quick Pitt notes---

-Rice transfer Trey Murphy III who of course is the 6-8 wing with the strong perimeter game has released his final four schools that he will select from----Pitt, Houston, Virginia and Villanova. That may be tough sledding to secure his services.

-4-star wing JaDun Michael who was talking with Pitt after de-committing from Wichita State has opted to go with Elon. Certainly a very odd choice for a player of his pedigree but staying close to home was important to him after everything that has transpired recently. He can always transfer in a year or so if he wishes to play up.

-Jeff Capel just offered 2021 6-2 combo guard Kyle Cuffe Jr. out of Blair Academy out of New Jersey. I watched some tape of him and he certainly offers up that Wow factor that you love to see.

-Capel is also said to be recruiting 2021 5-star 6-11 C Efton Reid out of Richmond. Good luck on that one.

-North Carolina State has just apparently lost one of their prize recruits before he even graduated prep school as PF Josh Hall seems to have plans to enter the NBA draft.

-C Kofi Cockburn of Illinois, whom Pitt made a big push to try and recruit last year is also apparently heading to the NBA as well after one season with the Illni.

-

Comment

• For those keeping track, looks like the "Calhoun Experiment" at YSU is starting to show dividens. After going 8-24 his first year at YSU, Calhoun improved to 12-20 his second year and then this past year, they went 18-15.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                For those keeping track, looks like the "Calhoun Experiment" at YSU is starting to show dividens. After going 8-24 his first year at YSU, Calhoun improved to 12-20 his second year and then this past year, they went 18-15.
                                It takes times. He's a good coach.

I went to one of his games this year. His National Finalist team at FSU would have mopped the floor with his team from this past sesson.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X